Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Go HOME Pats! (for this year, anyway- but we'll see you again 8^)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You'll have to do that for me too, Ava would never understand why her picture was gone! Congratulations to Pete, and Night Train as well- sorry I forgot to post that before. It must have been something else to be there. Pete, you should change the title of this thread to whatever you want it to be, I won't touch it, I promise!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talk about a meltdown!!The greatest come back ever!! Manning is da man!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Pete almost called it!

Let's see, fade to Pete dreaming... the score is 32-26 Patriots with 0:04 on the clock. Colts ball on the Pat's 11. Hand-off to Addai... wait, its a reverse to Harrison who runs to the right! He's penned in, but wait- he passes back across the field to a wide open Peyton Manning in the end zone! Vinatieri comes on to kick the go ahead extra point, and the ball bounces into the stands to section 143, row 28, seat 5 where a celebrating fan makes a spectacular leap to snag the football of destiny!
    What a game...I know Pete and Night Train had a great Sunday night!
    The SB should be one for the ages.
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    A disappointing loss for Mikey and I but when all is said and done, it was the second best football game I've ever seen. (the first being the Giants Colts game in '58. Hat's are off to Peyton and his team, they hung in there and never said die. What a wonderful end to our season. Now it's on to Miami where Mikey and I will be rooting for the Colts!

GO BABY HORSES, BEAT THE BEARS!
    Ahem....

Neener neener!:bbg:
    At last an AFC team to really root for in the Super Bowl!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

If I had a voice

If I had a voice last night, I would have called the stupid sports radio show I listened to last night when I returned from the game. I completely lost my voice in the RCA dome on Sunday night at one of the greatest football games ever played. Before I tell you why I was going to call, let me set the stage. In 1971, I was 5 years old when I saw the Baltimore Colts defeat the Cowboys in Superbowl V. (The only Superbowl where the MVP of the game was selected from the losing team? Go figure.) And I was immediately a Colts fan. Incidentally, for all of the other Colts fans out there who are upset about all of the "come-on-board" Colts fans who are coming out of the woodwork, you need to stop for a moment and remember that at some point, we were all "come-on-boarders" once. All I ask is that if you come on board, we have your loyalty. I have been loyal through some very rough years and some very hard losses. For instance: going 4-10 in 1973 and then 2-12 the next year, The "almost" Colts under Bert Jones and then, later, Jim Harbaugh, The John Elway debacle (I will always consider him to be one of the most classless, despicable, piece of human debris ever), The move from Baltimore, Jeff George years, the heartache loss to Pittsburgh in 1995 and, of course, not being able to get by the Patriots. (Patriots fans certainly know what I am talking about: 4 Stadiums in the first 11 seasons only to be shunned by Boston in the end, The losing seasons of the early 70's, Darryl Stingley, Grogan's broken leg, getting crushed in Superbowl XX, and the Chuck Fairbanks Fiasco) So if you want to be a fan, then be a fan. But you gotta stick with it through bad times and good times. I certainly have. And so, after 37 years of hoping and waiting, I am lucky enough to score tickets to the AFC Championship game where the Colts make the biggest comeback in Conference history. When the game is over it was all I could talk about and think about. I was a part of history and it was so long coming. The next day, I get off my plane back in Harrisburg Pennsylvania and when i get to my car, I turn on my radio. The very first thing I heard was a sports announcer saying that the Patriots choked. I am sorry, but that statement really took away some of my joy. Perhaps the Colts won not because the other team choked but because we have an awesome coach in Tony Dungee and one of the best, hardest working, talented, never-say-quit quarterbacks in the history of the game. Cant we get some credit man?

Dwayne Magee
    333 South Main Street
    Marysville, PA 17053
    (717) 919-3288
    dwaynemagee@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even though I am a dyed in the wool Patriots fan, I would echo the statement of my learned friend from Pennsylvainia.The Colts won the second greatest football game ever played, period. The Patriots didn't choke, they just didn't win. Anyone watching the contest knows that the teams were evenly matched and the game, very easily, could have gone either way. When the score was 21-3 my son called to ask me how much fun it would be to watch the superbowl, rooting for the Patriots in Vermont. I told him not so fast, there was plenty of football left in this game. We then saw the score go to 21-6 at the half. I even made a post at that time,which appears above somewhere in this thread, to the effect that the game wasn't over yet.The Colts came back, big time! It is the measure of the leadership of Coach Dungy and Peyton Manning to have not rolled over when it would have been natural for many.They are the division champions and deservedly so, and our division is well represented by this team. I am a "come aboard" Colts fan for the next 2 weeks, and I am proud and honored to be one!

Next year, however, will be another story. I noticed Petes first email to me after the KC game. Its subject was "Here we go again". Tom Brady called his friend Peyton Manning a week ago last monday. That was the first thing he said to Peyton. How ironic. ( That came from a pregame interview with Brady)

GO COLTS, SQUASH THE BEARS!

PS we need a new trash talk thread for the Super Bowl!
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Maybe we could trash talk the person or people in charge of halftime entertainment. Prince? When was the last time they had a good halftime show? I would vote for Leonard Skynard, John Cougar, Bruce Springstein, or Billy Joel. Or maybe a salute to Gospel music from various artists. Prince?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I've told Mikey and a few others, OUR superbowl was Jan 20th. I still can't get over what a great game it was.
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer View Post
    You have no clue to what Modell did in Cleveland. The Browns sold out over 95% of ther games from 1946 to 1995 in the old Stadium. Until the 70's it seated over 85,000, then it was cut back to 80,000. Modell bought 51% the team in 1961, most of it with borrowed money. The Browns finance officer wrote a book on the move and said Modell blew his money trying to show the community what a great guy he was. He put a ton into the Cleveland Clinic and local Arts. This money came from borrowing against next years season tickets sales.
    He also leased the Stadium from the city. This way he received all the rent money from the Indians and from the huge rock concerts. This was money that should have went into the team. He also had many business deals that fizzled.
    What ended his charade was free agency and the Indians building their own stadium. BTW, in 1990, Modell turned down a Stadium that would go next to Jacobs Field because he would not control the rights, the city would. Gund Arena was built on that site instead. The city built a state of the art training center for the Browns in Berea in 1991 or 92, if they knew what was coming that never would have happened.
    Modell never ever admitted he was broke to anyone. He could have sold the team to countless people who wanted it badly. For personal gain he took Maryland's money and ran. He had to announce the move in Oct 1995 or lose the deal. The Nov elections had a renewal of the "sin" tax that paid for Jacobs Field, Gund Arena and the R&R HOF.
    After all was said and done he went bankrupt in Baltimore, new stadium and all! That is how bad a business man he is. The NFL forced him to sell the team in 1999.
    Cleveland was awarded a new team, officially the team went into hiatus for 3 years.
    Cleveland always supported the Browns. Modell was a bad owner, living beyond his means, that was how the move went down.
    Sorry, it seems as though I was a bit wrong about some of that. Some of the info I went on was supplied to me by my cousins in Cleveland. We used to go there every summer for a few weeks, they lived in Brooklyn Heights, and I always made sure I visited the Parma International Speedway to race my slot cars.
    What they had told me was that Modell was indeed a poor owner, but he wanted a new stadium, and they wouldn't give him one because they :
    a. Didn't like Modell
    b. Didn't like Modell because he wasn't totally sold on Bernie Cosar (I personally never thought that Bernie was a good QB. Nice guy, bad QB.)
    c. As soon as they moved, they tore down the Mistake and started on the new stadium.

Not being from there, I guessed they knew what they were talking about.

BTW, I was a big Browns fan for awhile - until I saw Leroy Kelly kicking the crap out of an opposing player while he was down out of bounds. That was low-class, but I still admired Jim Brown and still have my Lou "The Toe" Groza football.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Just thought I would point out... In my fantasy scenario described above, the final score ended up 33-32 Colts. The actual score- 38-34. Pretty close (and I still think my final play would have been more exciting than a 2 yard run up the middle by Addai- but I'll take it).

It was exciting enough without any last play drama...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can bet Mikey and I weren't too happy with the last play! (the interception, not the kneel down!) :)
    Lord Byron

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I don't remember the game that well!

Did the Colts win!

GO RED SOX!

Thread Information