Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to ODs and MDs

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

An open letter to ODs and MDs

An open letter to ODs and MDs:

I'm in no way knocking any of the ODs or MDs on this board - but what is it with you guys/gals? What makes you think you can nickel and dime a optician to death? Sure, it's your practice (at least in my case) and you went to school for X years and are certainly due the respect your title deserves. But in all honesty - what part of my job do you really think you can do successfully? In the parctice where I'm employed, my sales accounted for 84% of the practice's gross income last year. I don't pretend to do your job - let me do mine.

Why do you incesently feel the need to look over my shoulder like I'm going to do something that might possibly hurt your practice? The success of the practice is as much my goal as it is yours - my job depends on it.

Why do you deny me the few perks of my job? I'm the one that sold 50+ pairs of Varilux Transitions as apart of the Varilux/Transitions Plug Into The Power promotion...why should you get the five $50 gift cards associated with those sales? Why should I hand over the comp coupons I get from reps who I work with and utilize to help your patients? Why should you get the freebies I get from trade shows - I paid my own way after all. When a rep comps me a frame, how dare you charge me for it - I work with these reps not you - they are offering me something for helping their bottom line.

Why do you feel the need to lie to me? Don't tell me we didn't acheve our goal of 10% over last years sales - I can run the same reports you can. I know we are 16.4% over last year. I know I'm due that profit sharing check - you just don't want to caugh over the money to someone who worked their butt off to provide your patients with the best possible service.

Why can't you treat me the way you expect me to treat you? I'm a professional just as you are - I may not have the degree behind my credentials, but I'm as competant as any other optician with my level of experience and background. You expect me to shoot straight with you - why can't you extend me the same courtesy?

/Rant Off

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Solution is...

Don't work for them...work for yourself!

We do...opticians only...no Dr....No Insurance...

Takes awhile...but autonomy is worth it!

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should address that letter to YOUR boss...they aren't all that way!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    but in my working experience, most share at least some of those traits.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Audi-

I understand your complaint. I feel for you. I think most of us have walked the proverbial mile in your shoes.

Let me get this Friday afternoon started right:

This rounds on me. Forget the jerks........

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Don't work for them...work for yourself!

We do...opticians only...no Dr....No Insurance...

Takes awhile...but autonomy is worth it!

Barry
    I would love to. But start up capitol is almost impossible for me to come up with - I actually already have two locations picked out. One is in a somewhat higher-end with good traffic flow (newer strip mall about 70% full). The other is in an older but very much re-vitalized neighborhood and has a lot of smaller specialty shops. Either would support a dispensary with unique products of varying prices. I simply cannot put the funds together - and beleive me, I've tried.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW, that's really bad.

If I were you, I'll take a little time to prepare myself to the level where I'm comfortable to open my own optical store. It may be few months or few years. In between, I may change boss several times. At the end, OPEN THE NEW STORE RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THIS OD.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Why do you deny me the few perks of my job?.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda;170925[B
    Why do you deny me the few perks of my job? I'm the one that sold 50+ pairs of Varilux Transitions as apart of the Varilux/Transitions Plug Into The Power promotion...why should you get the five $50 gift cards associated with those sales? Why should I hand over the comp coupons I get from reps who I work with and utilize to help your patients? [/b]
    /Rant Off
    Thius has nothing to do with MD or OD this has to do with the BOSS -OWNER whoever it is.

Perks are handed out by reps and manufacturers to employees to get them to favour certain products over others that give no perks or goodies.

You are being paid by your employer a fair salary.........or you would go and work somewhere else for better conditions. The investment in the business, the risks, if gain or loss are the owners problems.

As an employee you have sold or pushed so many whatever lenses to get an extra payoff from another source. Any give away or kickback actually belongs to the business and its owner, who then at his discretion can keep it, or spread it around the employees who as a team make a business successful.

I personally dont like the habit of teasing employees to lean towards certain products because they expect a private return.

In politics we all call this "corruption". :finger:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Any give away or kickback actually belongs to the business and its owner, who then at his discretion can keep it, or spread it around the employees who as a team make a business successful.
    :finger:

Amen! Thanks for saying what would have taken em a lot longer to!

Employees:

You want the perks? Tell the owner to take back the paycheck they just gave you. Next, give them a percentage (about $100,000.000 should cover it) of the start up costs they plowed into the practice. Next, pay a percentage of the marketing costs and all other overhead associated with the practice. Now, work for about 3 years without a check, like most owners first do.

You are now entitled to the "perks", along with a percentage of the profits.

No sympathy here...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with the perks and honestly don't care about them. I do not use lenses based on what "perk" a rep is going to give me. It's a waste of time, kind of like using a coupon for something that you wouldn't normally buy and plus it's more expensive. You haven't saved a darn thing.

Now, as far as the frame thing goes, I don't have that problem and cannot believe he charges you for a frame that you received for free. Taht's strange, glad I don't have that problem. Geez...even the retil optical places give you at least 1 free pair a year(or they did when I was there 7 years ago).Hmmm.....

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda
    Why do you feel the need to lie to me? Don't tell me we didn't acheve our goal of 10% over last years sales - I can run the same reports you can. I know we are 16.4% over last year. I know I'm due that profit sharing check - you just don't want to caugh over the money to someone who worked their butt off to provide your patients with the best possible service.
    I worked in a practice for a doctor that offered the same thing profit sharing on anything over a certain percentage and it never seems to add up. The only time he would get interested in talking money with me was during our busiest times and it kept me strung along for a year. The best thing you can do is polish off your resume and push forward if it really bothers you. Step 2, if you eat lunch out stop and put that same money into an account for your new store, make little sacrifices untill they add up. Step 3 look for a dispensary for sale in your area, it is far easier to fix a practice with mismanagement then to start brand new. Step 4, good luck and ignore the negatives despite what people say if you are an asset to your company and your employer does not treat you like it then they are at fault and it will usually mean a higher turnover in employees.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    No, they are not. The OD I work for is very fair and treats us like family. And because of this we all work our butts off for her. If you don't like and respect who you work for it makes for a really long day.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58
    No, they are not. The OD I work for is very fair and treats us like family. And because of this we all work our butts off for her. If you don't like and respect who you work for it makes for a really long day.
    Amen to that.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Yea, people should choose their employers a little more carefully!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Audi

It's OK to vent. You're amongst your own here. Actually, it sounds like the voice of suppressed independence wanting to break away. Like you, I had "AN ATTITUDE" about "Dr." employer relations. In the real world, it's the Golden Rule . . . HE WHO HAS THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES.

You can go on your own. Even if you have no capital presently, playing a very simple real estate game will get you all the money you need. Not likely to make it as an optician.

But, don't lose "focus" on what you want. Your boss is not the way. Your boss, aka "Dr." played the system. The laws make it that way. Strip away the optometry and he's probably as much of a bliddering idiot as the rest of us. As we speak he's walking a fine line. It's only the doctor part that separates him from any other businessman. There are more true businessmen sharing the wealth than doctors.

So, join the ranks of the CEO's etc. who have taken their little hardware store to Home Depot success profit sharing, spiffs and perks and all. You won't find OD's or MD's with the business saavy to do that. It's just not in their repertoire of business skills. Pity them.

Move on.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just can't win

ABO renewal

Ethical dilemma part deux

Ethical dilemma

These are threads you started. Looks to me like you're unhappy with optical. Seriously, your OD bashing in those and other posts is getting old as well, and using this
    I'm in no way knocking any of the ODs or MDs on this board
    sure doesn't excuse it.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judging from your posts, you need to look for a new job. I think there are decent doctors out there, I work for a couple.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree...your post(s) do exhibit a bit of "exit" behavior.

Want your own business ? I'll set you up w/ everything you need for the dispensary, except the frames. You don't have to pay a penny for two years. At the end of 2 years, you start paying me $1,000 per month for 15 months.

I'm willing to bet that Encore Jim or someone else on the board will do the same for the frames.

This can be our own "Optiboard Incubator Project". We'll make it a group effort !

Oh, and just in case your wondering...I'm dead serious. I've got a warehouse full of fixtures that would look better in your place than in mine.

Occupation
    Kinda expected a mixed bag - and I would say this: until you walk a mile in my shoes...

For those that want me to get out of optics for reasons of being disgruntled or any other reason - unfortunatly, optics is what I know. I have a BA in Telecommunication-Media Arts and without going into great detail, the degree is useless based on what I learned in school and how the industry has evolved. I'm going back for my masters - but I won't have that for two+ more years. I need to provide for my family - right now, this is the best way I can do that.

For those of you who say I am simply an employee of the 'owner' (who is the OD in this case Chris) and the owner deserves everything. I agree that the owner of a business has invested a lot - but again, until you walk in my shoes I suggest you zip it. His building's paid for, he has a tax abatement for the next 5 years, he doesn't provide me with anything more than a salary - no benefits, no 401k. And yet he lies to me about our profits to save from paying me what we agreed upon??

But since obviously Johns and Chris Ryser own their own businesses and know so much more than I - let's look at this for a much simpler perspective. How much money do I generate for the practice? According to our 2006 gross income, 84% came directly from eyewear sales. I'd love to see you two gracious business owners provide a salary comenserate to cause and effect. I caused 84% of the gross dollars that came into this practice - shouldn't I in effect receive 84% of the salary pool? But that never happens - the OD/Optician relationship is symbiotic yet the pay is hardly such. I'm in no way saying that I'm due what the OD is paid - but I think my example is a fair senario to consider while taking a symbiotic relationship into account - without a qualified optician on staff, where would that 84% go? Without the doctor on staff, where would that 84% be?

I think I can fairly say this: I work for the wrong employer. I expect to be treated fairly and with respect. I expect to be rewarded for my work (not in dollars; in trust, respect, honesty and integrity), not just paid. But as everyone here knows, you don't simply walk out the door and find a new opticianry gig - there are only so many doctors and thus, only so many jobs. I would love to start my own gig - but that's not realistic right now.

I think I should also note that there are decent doctors out there - I know a few of them. I had thought mine was one of them but it's amazing what you learn when you work closely with someone. In many respects, he's a very decent and caring person. Takes all the time he needs with each and every patient and is one of the best clinical doctors I've worked with. He even let me borrow a computer monitor from the office when mine at home blew. It's his business and managerial skills that are severely lacking.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I agree...your post(s) do exhibit a bit of "exit" behavior.

Want your own business ? I'll set you up w/ everything you need for the dispensary, except the frames. You don't have to pay a penny for two years. At the end of 2 years, you start paying me $1,000 per month for 15 months.

I'm willing to bet that Encore Jim or someone else on the board will do the same for the frames.

This can be our own "Optiboard Incubator Project". We'll make it a group effort !

Oh, and just in case your wondering...I'm dead serious. I've got a warehouse full of fixtures that would look better in your place than in mine.
    Intriging offer - although I have my own ideas on merchandising well beyond basic frame boards and such - my wife is a interior designer (another difficult industy to get a foothold in as she's currently unemployed as a designer) and honestly, we have the dispensary designed and ready to go.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    For those of you who say I am simply an employee of the 'owner' (who is the OD in this case Chris) and the owner deserves everything. I agree that the owner of a business has invested a lot - but again, until you walk in my shoes I suggest you zip it. His building's paid for, he has a tax abatement for the next 5 years, he doesn't provide me with anything more than a salary - no benefits, no 401k. And yet he lies to me about our profits to save from paying me what we agreed upon??
    1. Who cares whether his building is paid for...he's built equity over time as most owners should.

2. If you're so certain he is ripping you off and lying about the profits, talk to him instead of us. Show him your proof and make him explain it.

But since obviously Johns and Chris Ryser own their own businesses and know so much more than I - let's look at this for a much simpler perspective. How much money do I generate for the practice? According to our 2006 gross income, 84% came directly from eyewear sales. I'd love to see you two gracious business owners provide a salary comenserate to cause and effect. I caused 84% of the gross dollars that came into this practice - shouldn't I in effect receive 84% of the salary pool?
    That is so off base I don't really think I can change your mind. If you really think you personally created that 84% and that without you it would disappear, I just don't know what to say.

Incidentally, any OD's office that only has 16% or less from professional fees is in big trouble. I question those numbers.

In many respects, he's a very decent and caring person.
    Then you may want to stop dragging him through the mud here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ADIOYODA, It's way past the time for you to move on. You are mad at the world! Venture out on your own and when your employees start producing 84% of your revenue...just hand it over to them! Then you can join your wife in the unemployment line pal!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Kinda expected a mixed bag - and I would say this: until you walk a mile in my shoes...
    I haven't been around in a bit, but I saw this and I just about fell over. You're assuming that you're the only one who's ever faced the situation you're in? Almost every person on this board who owns his/her own business had to pay their dues just as you are. They had to work for someone else for long enough to figure out what the heck they were doing. Believe me, most of us have walked many miles in your shoes. Try walking the path the business owner took to get where he is.

For those of you who say I am simply an employee of the 'owner' (who is the OD in this case Chris) and the owner deserves everything. I agree that the owner of a business has invested a lot - but again, until you walk in my shoes I suggest you zip it. His building's paid for, he has a tax abatement for the next 5 years, he doesn't provide me with anything more than a salary - no benefits, no 401k.
    His building is paid for...Who paid for it? Did his tax abatement fall out of the sky? He had to work for that too. Quite honestly, you don't have the slightest idea how much he invested. Forget the fact that he had 8 years of school, that could have run upwards of $150K-$200K, or that the starting costs of a business is ridiculous (again, hundreds of thousands of dollars), or that the fact that 50-60% of businesses don't survive to year 5 (and (he still took that chance), or the fact that he has hundreds of other expenses (utilities, prof ins., COG, advertising, building maintenance, other taxes, licensing fees, etc) or any number of different variables...An employee is paid according to an agreed upon formula (in your case, a salary). Anything else is the business owners. NOW, if he has any sense, incentives are powerful motivational tools, but they are his decision to give or not.

If you want to call the shots, OPEN YOUR OWN PLACE. You front the money and the time and the risk, and see how you feel when your employees complain about the same things you are right now. If you don't think an optical will stand alone, go back to optometry school. I guarantee that you will be just like him when you get out.

How much money do I generate for the practice? According to our 2006 gross income, 84% came directly from eyewear sales. I'd love to see you two gracious business owners provide a salary comenserate to cause and effect. I caused 84% of the gross dollars that came into this practice - shouldn't I in effect receive 84% of the salary pool?
    Let's talk cause and effect. The business owner is responsible for 100% of what you sold. Period. Without the owner, you don't have a place to sell your 84%. you have taken no risk, so you are entitled to nothing other than your agreed upon salary.

without a qualified optician on staff, where would that 84% go? Without the doctor on staff, where would that 84% be?
    without a qualified optician the OD would get by (so the 84%, or some approximation would remain). No employee is indespensable (but some come pretty damn close). Without the OD, most opticians, with a few distinguished exceptions, would not (so about 0% of the 84% would be left). Without this OD, this practice doesn't exist. Without you it will survive.

I would love to start my own gig - but that's not realistic right now.
    It's nice to want to own your own gig, but it is altogether a different story to actually put in the effort, time, money, sacrifice, and heartache to make it a reality. Which is why he calls the shots. Perhaps you should find out how much the business is worth (the building, the equipment, the yearly net, etc) and take about 10% of that and offer it as a way to buy a portion of the business. Then you are entitled to a portion of the business's proceeds. But until you become an owner or start your own business (in the optical, or elsewhere), you're not going to get much sympathy .

Now if the working conditions are really awful, then find another job. If none are avail, bide your time. If you're as good as you think you are, you will have options. My guess is that if you leave for some other OD, or a corporate optical, it will could be better, but it may not be by much.

As hard as I come across, I sincerely wish you well. This is a great profession if you find a good location in which to practice.

AA

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

obviously Johns and Chris Ryser own their own businesses

For those of you who say I am simply an employee of the 'owner' (who is the OD in this case Chris) and the owner deserves everything.

How much money do I generate for the practice?

I caused 84% of the gross dollars that came into this practice - shouldn't I in effect receive 84% of the salary pool?
    What would happen if you quit the job. They would hire another optician who would produce a similar sales figure, unless you have produced an extra sales figure with consumers that made ourchases because of you. People that came to see you personally to be served by you.

Your OD or MD exits his patients through the dispensary and you take over. So you are only the 2nd link in the chain. Without the MD or OD you would had no customers to make the sales to.

You also made a high sales figure because you wewre perked up by salesreps to sell high end and high priced lenses.

From another thread I know that the optical is your ultimate goal for a life long carrier. You plan to have an audio-music studio business. So dont screw up what you have presently and wait for the right moment to jump into your new venture.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Create a new opportunity.

I really live by my signature "Happiness is something we create"

I truly believe getting fired was the best thing that happened to me in my career. I had to go out and make it happen.

I used the contacts I had to find out who was hiring or debating about hiring. Including positions that wasn't even listed on in the paper or the internet.

For every person I talked to, I got another person to contact. At the time I was offered my current position, I also had formal interviews in 2 other dispensarys, one for a tech, and one for a wholesale lab. While originally I thought some of the other locations maybe better than where the first offer came from.. I took that first offer cause I needed a job!

That was almost 18 months ago. I wasn't getting paid nearly as much as the crafters, but I was getting enough to get by. Since that time I have been given two substantial raises...w/o me asking. The latest was this past paycheck after seeing how in the past year our revenue has increased 23% and that was having less doctor days than the year before as well...which he attributes directly to me :)

We are purchasing a practice management system for the office to make it more effecient. Upgraded our computers...We have hired additional staff to allow myself and the other location's manager time to coordinate some marketing efforts and raise the bar so to speak...pushing ourselves forward.

That is why I recommend in your efforts not shirking away from the "backwards" practices you mentioned in a earlier thread that were in your area. Cause you can change them and have an even greater effect.. and more respect/gratitude, which to me is what you are seeking.

As far as the rest of your posts... The way I view things is that when dealing with vendors, I may be doing the buying, but its the doctor's money making the purchase. While it is nice to get some perks out of it every "rewards" check is made out to the doctor and is given to him. I don't even sign up in my own name. The agreement is that these funds go into an account to help pay for the improvements I want for the office... and that is how they are being used.

The way we work is... if the frame/lenses are a "personal" gift from the vendor then it is mine to do with as I please. IF the products are a result of a promotion buy 10 get 1 free... then they are the practice's.

Now if I was fronting the money.. then it would be my decision to chose.

By the way.. these rules weren't made by the doctor.. they were made by me.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information