Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costa Del Mar account closing SOON!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Costa Del Mar account closing SOON!

I just got off the phone with the useless people at Costa Del Mar. One of our patients has a Turbine which has the rubber grippy applications on the bridge and temple shaft. The rubber parts are separating from the hard plastic parts. The frame is about 6 months old. I called Costa to get a warranty replacement and this what they told me. They said that they would rather have the patient send the frame in than to have me handle it for them. The also said that they did not offer a warranty replacement. They want to fix the frame and send it back to me. I informed the so called customer service person that they are the only company we deal with that handles their business in this fashion. I think they must have hired some of Luxxotica's customer service rejects. Lately most of the frames we order seem to go on endless backorder. Costa closes at 12 on Fridays. What does this all mean to me.....I'll gladly sell a different brand of sunglasses and this Costa account can be gone!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drop those monkeys. I did about 5-6 years ago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is not MAui Jim the same?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You have managed to slam 2 company's in one post....

Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    I just got off the phone with the useless people at Costa Del Mar. One of our patients has a Turbine which has the rubber grippy applications on the bridge and temple shaft. The rubber parts are separating from the hard plastic parts. The frame is about 6 months old. I called Costa to get a warranty replacement and this what they told me. They said that they would rather have the patient send the frame in than to have me handle it for them. The also said that they did not offer a warranty replacement. They want to fix the frame and send it back to me. I informed the so called customer service person that they are the only company we deal with that handles their business in this fashion. I think they must have hired some of Luxxotica's customer service rejects. Lately most of the frames we order seem to go on endless backorder. Costa closes at 12 on Fridays. What does this all mean to me.....I'll gladly sell a different brand of sunglasses and this Costa account can be gone!
    KStraker,
    Are you going for some sort of record here? You have managed to slam 2 company's in one post. The posting guidelines caution against doing this, particularly with unsubstantiated claims.I have done business with both companies and always been treated with respect. If you have a problem with the company's policy, take it up with the company first.Either that, or their reps who have the power to solve problems of this nature. Airing it on this site makes the author look bad, and makes Optiboard look bad. Try for win-win rather than lose-lose. Capito??
    Last edited by hcjilson; 01-05-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think if WE sell their product to OUR customers then We should be able to service this product! Or they should service this product for us!
    My experience with MJ is that they only want to deal with a customer. And I know the reason. It is much easier to get the MONEY for any service from the consumer then from us. Consumer spent $150-$250 for a pair of sunglasses they WILL pay $50 with free shipping to replace the frame!
    Would you??????????
    I will not!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I think if WE sell their product to OUR customers then We should be able to service this product! Or they should service this product for us!
    My experience with MJ is that they only want to deal with a customer. And I know the reason. It is much easier to get the MONEY for any service from the consumer then from us. Consumer spent $150-$250 for a pair of sunglasses they WILL pay $50 with free shipping to replace the frame!
    Would you??????????
    I will not!
    This is a very complex problem. At ICE-TECH we produce a line of Advanced Polarized Sunwear. We introduced our prescription lens technology about one year ago. This technology has allowed us to now pursue the optical channel of distribution. Maui Jim has their own Rx program, but the other polarized companies allow labs to put in certain lenses that they approve. ICE-TECH is totally unique in the approach to marketing a polarized lens Rx product. We offer technology that truely individualizes the lens with thinner lenses than any other branded product for strong Rx's. We handle the issues with the optical retailer. At this time we do all of the Rx in our facility and handle any warranty issues.

I think the example sited in this tread is a combination of the fact that the company does not have in house Rx and I would assume their customer service personnel are gear to plano sales and service. As you all know wrap around Rx sunwear requires a great deal of technical knowledge to properly service the opticans dispensing the products.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think it is to uncommon for manufacturers of any product to have the consumers return the product for warranty issue. I think it's a blessing for us to have the consumer deal with the manufacturer. They made it not me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dont forget about charges!
    Good luck in prooving its a manufacturing defect!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Frame warranty?

I think this post is referring to an injected frame that is a co-injected frame. This means the rubber is molded into the harder plastic. I would assume if the rubber is seperating from the plastic within 6 months, this would be covered by warranty by most quality manufacturers. I think that the request to have the customer send in the frame is the best approach. The customer service instructions maybe geared to saying have the customer send it in and they will evaluate the situation and try to solve the problem and keep the frame owner as a customer. At least this is the best approach as far as I am concerned.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still think if we purchased the frame from a company and we are an authorised/exclusive dealer in our area and we sold this frame to the customer at MSRP we should be able to service this customer. We are not an online retailer that charges $5 over wholesale price for their frames and doesnot want to hear the customer again. So what would make us look different from them?
    The same frames that delaminate in 6 month and have to be sent to the company to evaluate the situation. I dont think so. This is the way it should be done when people buy online.
    We would like to have ability to service our patient. And what would you tell the patient that used to buy 2 pairs of sunglasses from you a year fromm all the different manufacturers and we provided ANY service for him? Now with his amaizing pair of sunglasses we are not qualified to do naything....

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I don't think it is to uncommon for manufacturers of any product to have the consumers return the product for warranty issue. I think it's a blessing for us to have the consumer deal with the manufacturer. They made it not me!

I agree! Good point

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    KStraker,
    Are you going for some sort of record here? You have managed to slam 2 company's in one post. The posting guidelines caution against doing this, particularly with unsubstantiated claims.I have done business with both companies and always been treated with respect. If you have a problem with the company's policy, take it up with the company first.Either that, or their reps who have the power to solve problems of this nature. Airing it on this site makes the author look bad, and makes Optiboard look bad. Try for win-win rather than lose-lose. Capito??
    First off, this type of policy seems to be the norm with sunglass companies that do not carry an opthalmic line. I would prefer to provide service for my customers, especially on items that are clearly defective.

If I were going for a record I would have continued by posting the other couple of companies that have given my business inferior customer support. If you would like me to substantiate my beef with Luxxotica I can send you copies of my invoices. I really don't feel like that is necessary. Call Lux and try to order 10 Versace sunglasses. Six will get put on back order indefinately, two will be offered only in Europe. The other two will come with an invoice that says "order complete" on the final line. There will be no mention of the backorder items that remain or the time it will be delivered. So, you'll call and ask what's up with the invoice and the people will be totally clueless. They are the only frame company I deal with that can't tell you one thing about a back order. They also have a free frame program that you can qualify for with sales volume. It took me 6 months to get the 5 free frames that we qualified for. This is a quarterly program. It took 10 calls to the company, several to my rep, and finally one to her boss to get these 5 frames. They still were not the five that I had ordered. In the future we will not be accepting the free frames.

So, in my educated opinion and experience as frame buyer, lab mgr, floor mopper,and bathroom cleaner for my families optical shop/Dr's office; Luxxotica has the worst customer service of any company that we deal with. This forum seems like the most appropriate place to let my dissatisfaction be known. I'd hate for the rest of you to have the same experience. If that's not Kosher feel free to kill my login. I will continue to :cheers:.

...and just to be clear, I have addressed these concerns with the companies and they offer little in the way of resolution.
    Last edited by KStraker; 01-08-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your solution is simple....

Just stop doing business with these companies. End of problem. If you can't do that work for some middleground that doesn't require a company to change its policy for one customer. Regarding your backorder problems, that situation can't be avoided regardless of your best efforts. How would you solve that problem if the companies were under your control?
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here's how I'd do it...

Just stop doing business with these companies. End of problem. If you can't do that work for some middleground that doesn't require a company to change its policy for one customer. Regarding your backorder problems, that situation can't be avoided regardless of your best efforts. How would you solve that problem if the companies were under your control?
    Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to ruffle feathers and I'll abide by whatever rules the moderators suggest. If that were my business I would have my factory notify me at the beginning of the production run. I should be able to forecast the time of completion based on that. Further I would receive notification at each phase of the fabrication process. One when the frame is molded and another when the final painting process is complete. I'd probably get another notice when the frames are shipped from China. It's fairly easy to have automated alerts on production systems. I would order enough to provide for my back orders, plus others to fill future orders. I would tell my customer service people that it takes XXX amount of time to make a frame from scratch so at the very least they can say, "well, the order has been placed and it takes 8 weeks at the most to produce this frame. We'll keep you advised"

I don't expect for a company to change policy for one customer. I'll be happy to find other manufacturers that handle their business in a more customer friendly fashion. As it stands now, I have to tell frame reps that we aren't going to carry anymore lines and turn them away. It will be very easy to find other product of equal or better quality.

On the other side of the coin. If you want excellent customer service I recomend Tura and Ideal. They both have excellent products and service in my experience.
    --Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't that about what happens now? I can't speak for Costa, but when Lux has a backorder problem, they're usually right up front with it, and provide a date of delivery. The last instance I had from them gave me a promise date in September.As it happens, they didn't meet it, but provided me with one in early October. It arrived in early October. Since the person on the phone has no control of the actual delivery I couldn't fault them. Stuff happens (I once read on a bumper sticker) fortunately it is the exception rather than the rule.For the most part, I think customer service at Lux, is on the ball. I also understand the frustration of back orders, but that's a forecasting problem, and every company has those.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't that about what happens now? I can't speak for Costa, but when Lux has a backorder problem, they're usually right up front with it, and provide a date of delivery.
    You must be kidding me!
    The standard answer that we get is backorder 2 weeks! The best part is when you call them in 2 weeks the answer is the same 2 weeks. And just to make our life even better in another 2 weeks we get a different answer!
    Guess what is it!

The frame is no longer available DISCONTINUED!

BTW You should have hear me screaming and yelling ($650 refund to the patient that was very patient with us to the certain point) on their customer Service.

They heard me! I did recieved that frame 3 month later.:hammer:

PS No Luxottica bashing!
    Last edited by LENNY; 01-08-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: No Luxottica bashing!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't that about what happens now? I can't speak for Costa, but when Lux has a backorder problem, they're usually right up front with it, and provide a date of delivery. The last instance I had from them gave me a promise date in September.As it happens, they didn't meet it, but provided me with one in early October. It arrived in early October. Since the person on the phone has no control of the actual delivery I couldn't fault them. Stuff happens (I once read on a bumper sticker) fortunately it is the exception rather than the rule.For the most part, I think customer service at Lux, is on the ball. I also understand the frustration of back orders, but that's a forecasting problem, and every company has those.
    You're experiences are very, very , very different than mine regarding Luxxotica. I haven't found one person there who is willing to provide the basic information you mentioned. I can easily fax over all the invoices that lack any mention of BO's or their delivery dates. I order 30 frames, and 20 will come with an invoice that says "order complete". So I have to wonder, if my order was screwed up or if I have items on BO. I call the company and they have no idea when the BO's will come, or why there is no mention of it on my invoice. This happens over and over and over again. As I said, this happens so frequently that providing the proof would be a very simple thing. Let me know if you want to see them.

I'm glad your experiences are happier than mine. Have a good day-Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been given this information by phone when I placed the order, isn't that the way you order?

PS I am going to send this thread to a friend of mine who may be able to provide some insight into this situation.He may respond directly in this thread or perhaps by PM.
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would you??????????
    I will not!

Hmmn, I am a regular Maui user and I have never had an issue. Odd. I guess I should count my blessings.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If I wanted help I would have asked for it.

I have been given this information by phone when I placed the order, isn't that the way you order?

PS I am going to send this thread to a friend of mine who may be able to provide some insight into this situation.He may respond directly in this thread or perhaps by PM.
    No,actually most of our orders are faxed on the reps invoice. I'm not sure why you're so interested in this thread. As I said I have already addressed my concerns to Luxx and as you have noted they will not be changing their policy for one person. If I wanted your help I would have asked for it. My rep and her boss are well aware of this situation since I've personally relayed the details and my displeasure to both of them. If you feel the need to try to help salvage the good name of Luxxotica, good luck with that. There is no need to have some luxx cust service rep respond to me on this board when they have offered me no resolution in person. Thanks anyways-Kevin
    Last edited by KStraker; 01-09-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you did'nt want help......

If you did'nt want help why did you post at all? One can only assume it was to trash two companies with unsubstantiated claims. In case you didn't get the message in my first post in this thread, that IS against posting guidelines.

I'm not sure why you're so interested in this thread.
    My interest as a moderator is fairness, as well as adherence to posting guidelines. I have no interest in either Lux or Costa per se. Since the author is no longer interested in resolution I suggest he drop the subject.
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is not MAui Jim the same?
    I've seen maui jim replace temples on a five year old frame for free.
    They have a good reason for sending things in to them. First of all, they have had several hinge designs on the same model over the years, and wouldn't know which to send you w/o seeing them.
    The other thing I remember, but I think they've changed, is that they were securing the nosepads on the Sport line with a certain glue that was very dangerous to the lenses. I remember thinking "how silly to send a frame in for new nosepads...??" but do you really want to mess with a glue that will crack the lens in half if you touch the two together? I certainly don't.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you did'nt want help why did you post at all? One can only assume it was to trash two companies with unsubstantiated claims. In case you didn't get the message in my first post in this thread, that IS against posting guidelines.

My interest as a moderator is fairness, no longer interested in resolution I suggest he drop the subject.
    In the author's experience this it the first time that the aforementioned hcjilson has been identified to the author as a moderator of this forum. The author thought that the poster just had a lot of time on his hands. The author regrets any breach in forum etiquette and he shall consider his opinions aired. The moderator is welcome to delete the authors thread and have a lovely day.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    In the author's experience this it the first time that the aforementioned hcjilson has been identified to the author as a moderator of this forum. The author thought that the poster just had a lot of time on his hands. The author regrets any breach in forum etiquette and he shall consider his opinions aired. The moderator is welcome to delete the authors thread and have a lovely day.

KStraker -

I guess when you've been around awhile, you kind of just "know" who are moderators ... (Harry and Jo are the only 2 I can think of right now). I thought that there used to be a designation of some sort on their posts that referred to them as moderators ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    KStraker -

I guess when you've been around awhile, you kind of just "know" who are moderators ... (Harry and Jo are the only 2 I can think of right now). I thought that there used to be a designation of some sort on their posts that referred to them as moderators ...

Moderators are identified at the bottom right of every forums first page. Ex. Pete Hanlin, Jo, Steve Machol, hcjilson, Darryl Meister, shanbaum, Laurie, Judy Canty, Sean, Jim Shafer and I forget who else, if any!
    Last edited by Fezz; 01-09-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information