Thread: Ontario Opticians - Why ?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ontario Opticians - Why ?

Ontario Opticians :

Have you sent in your license renewal fees ?

What is your license renewal fee buying for you ?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Ontario Opticians :

Have you sent in your license renewal fees ?

What is your license renewal fee buying for you ?
    the renewal of said license

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    the renewal of said license
    One of the definitions of a license is :

To license or grant licence is to give permission. A licence (British English) or license (American English) is the document demonstrating that permission. License may be granted by a party ("licensor") to another party ("licensee") as an element of an agreement between those parties.

Obtaining a license is required of a number of occupations and professions where maintenance of standards is required to protect public safety, for example physicians, psychologists, and electricians are often licensed by the government or professional societies.

In our case as opticians , we renew our licenses to obtain permision to dispense and as long as we have that license we may do so as long as the standards are maintained by both the license holder and the license grantor.

If our license is not revoked by the granting party then we still have the licensor's permission .... correct ??

It follows that the standards must be maintained by both parties ... the licensor and the licensee .

If those standards are not being reasonably maintained by the licensee then the licensor usually has defined actions in their agreement that they can take against the licensee . But what rights do the licensees ( opticians & optometrists ) have to enforce the licensor (College of Opticians & College of Optometrists ) to maintain the standards agreed upon ? And what is a reasonable length of time to expect them to maintain and uphold the standards agreed upon ?

Or is non-payment of the fees the only avenue of protest ?

If a license is not revoked but only suspended , then is it not also partially condoning the act which caused the suspension ?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well there are several ways. First off you can apply to run as a board member. Another way, is if you think the college is doing anything illegal you can contact a government representive.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You also have the ability to vote for the people you want to run the College, as well as NOT to vote for the people who do. Its democracy.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If the licensor has suspended a license but not revoked it and yet the licensee continues to do wrong yet the licensor still does not revoke it ... now what happens at license renewal time ?

1) the licensee does not send in the renewal fee so then the licensee is outside the jurisdiction of the licensor . Everything must now be done by Civil courts

or

2) the licensee sends in the renewal fee and the licensor refuses to accept payment thereby effectively "disciplining" the offending licensee

or

3) the licensee sends in payment and the licensor accepts payment reinstating a suspended licenseee ?

Explain how this will work and explain what has happened in the past 6 years .

My guess would be that in each of the past 6 years the licensee has sent in the license fees and the licensor has accepted them , thereby condoning everything . Yes or no ?

Is it this simple ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In order to suspend a license , the license would first have to be current . To be current the renewal fees would have to be paid and up to date .

To pay the license fees would mean that the licensor accepted payment and intended to grant continuance of the license to the licensee and thereby in granting the continuance of the license the licensor is stating that they are "fine" with the standards that are being maintained by the licensee .

Are you all still with me on this ? Do you know what I am saying ?

The licensor in accepting payment of the renewal fees is not only condoning but is also supporting the actions of the licensee .

Occupation
    Optical Retail

defies all courts and rules but values license

If a licensee has been disciplined and fined and taken through civil courts and everything else under the sun and still continues after many years of errant behaviour to defy rules and regulations but still the licensor does not see fit to revoke but only suspends a licensee ..... what does that tell you ?

If a licensee flagrantly and purposely defies all courts and reguilations then Why does he/she even bother to have a license ? Why would a licensee value , pay for and hold on to and defend that license ? No other rules and regulations mean anything to the licensee . Think about it !!

What does that tell you about the licensee and the licensor ?

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Is this about Great Glasses. . . .??

Its been a little hard to follow, but I think you've asked valid questions. What does the Opticians organization have to say about this? Have they made any public statements? If not, why not? I'm kind of curious as to why the OD organization seems to be in the forefront of trying to reign in this rogue? You'd think that as hard as you folks have worked somebody would step up and say something. I'm interested in how this guys license is only suspended and not revoked. Is it really all about the money?? I would hope not..

Good luck to you folks!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    Its been a little hard to follow, but I think you've asked valid questions. What does the Opticians organization have to say about this? Have they made any public statements? If not, why not? I'm kind of curious as to why the OD organization seems to be in the forefront of trying to reign in this rogue? You'd think that as hard as you folks have worked somebody would step up and say something. I'm interested in how this guys license is only suspended and not revoked. Is it really all about the money?? I would hope not..

Good luck to you folks!!

The Opticians' associations ( THE VOICE OF OPTICIANS ) seem to have developed a really bad and lingering case of Laryngitis. I hope they get well soon !

As for the other , my poppy always used to say " listen to what people are trying to tell you ... not what they are saying ... actions speak louder than words. "

My poppy was an interesring man , he even had a philosphy about mathematics. Yup , about math and accounting , my poppy also used to say " figures don't lie ... but liars figure"

Thread Information