Thread: Do you ever tint polarized lenses?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do you ever tint polarized lenses?

I have done this a few times many years ago, but not in quite a while. Sometimes I have patients that want a darker lens then polarized gray c. I am wondering what results you get if you tint them in the various materials. What about lightening them if they get too dark? Do the tint well? Do they tint fast?

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Heating a polorized lens or any laminated lens can result in delamination. Heating the polarized lens can also damage the polarized film. That being said, other people I know have tinted the polarized lens without a problem but it would be at your own risk if the lens was damaged. I doubt you could get a warrantied replacement under these circumstances.

I am sure you cannot lighten the color of the polarized film on the polarized lens. If the base lens that the film was attached to was in fact tinted then you might be able to lighten the tint on the base lens. Again the problem is delamniation and/or destroying the polarized film from the neutralizer.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Works for me in CR-39 without much trouble. But I use water as a heat medium so it may not be as hot as those who use dye manufactures heat transfer fluids.
    Usually works with poly but with a limit of I'll say less than a 10% additional darkening possiblity (again not too hot a medium!).
    Too expensive for me to try it in other materials and I explain that to my patients. As I recall from past experience there is a distinct color shift in these materials (if it works!) as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I have done this a few times many years ago, but not in quite a while. Sometimes I have patients that want a darker lens then polarized gray c. I am wondering what results you get if you tint them in the various materials. What about lightening them if they get too dark? Do the tint well? Do they tint fast?
    We have tinted the prescription polaraized product without incident. Sometimes customers want a darker tint. Just don't leave it in the dye for too long. Don't put the lenses in the dye pot and forget about them.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've done it numerous times after reading some advice on Optiboard. What I do is tint the uncut first to eliminate the possibility of delamination. So far so good. As to whether I compromised to filter itself, it wasn't apparent and nobody has returned to complain.

Happy Boxing Day

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second, tint the uncut. I've done this in plastic (CR-39) several times. Don't put the lens in neutralizer. Don't let it get too warm, and don't expect a ton of additional color. I tell patients that this will get them as dark as is practical, going much darker is very nearly just opaque!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are there any particular brands which give better success than others?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've done it as well... but I've done some neat custom colors too... like taking a Polarized Brown A lens and added some Grey to the top to match the frame... and patients really like that (or a Grey A with burgundy at the top).

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll third tinting them uncut. So far no problems, however, we seemed to have really bad results tinting edge polarized.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by motelska View Post
    I've done it as well... but I've done some neat custom colors too... like taking a Polarized Brown A lens and added some Grey to the top to match the frame... and patients really like that (or a Grey A with burgundy at the top).
    That is a FABULOUS idea! :D
    I could definately see some of my LOL customers getting into something like that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    That is a FABULOUS idea! :D
    I could definately see some of my LOL customers getting into something like that!
    HELLOOOOO doesn't this world know that it's a gay man's job to make everything look absolutely fabulous. Including LOL's. If it wasn't for us, no one would mosturize or wear make-up... OMG that's a world I could never live in. All natural and Ashy... EW!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just attended a NuPolar/Drivers seminar. As I understand it, the way NuPolar lenses are made with the polarization in the middle of the lenses there should be no problem tinting them.

Chip

Also learned Trivex will have a new polarized lens coming soon and something else (a progressive I think coming out Monday.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Trivex

We have had Trivex progressives for months now. And i have never had a problem tinting polarized lens just obviously dont leave them in too long :cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't really remember what the new product for Monday is, could be trivex photochromic or something else.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Drivewear Image will be available on Monday. (I thought you were listening, Chip ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Tried this many times

I think I've been lcuky so far. I prefer not to tint them. In fact it is never mention to our customers, but we occasionally get someone who wants even a true gray lens to be rediculously dark. If they request a tint, I use a low temp to avoid damaging the laminant and/or the filter. This has never happened to me, but a lab tech before me said it happened to her on several occasions.

However, some time back, I hucked a scratched polarized lens accross the lab (was having a REALLY lousy day) and found it at the bottom of the G-15 two weeks later....laminate and filter undamaged. Man, I've seen welding masks that aren't that dark!!

~The Mighty Mutt

Thread Information