First of all, I want to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas! For those of you who don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you are nevertheless enjoying the spirit of the holiday season. It has always amazed me that OptiBoard has brought us all together from our little corners of the world and allowed us to touch each others lives.

And so I have a simple request for you to reach out and take the opportunity to touch someone else's life. In 1996, I attended a talk about the Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry. I decided to join the program as a potential donor when I learned that most patients who need bone marrow transplants will not find a match within their own families. Two years later, I was contacted by Canadian Blood Services because I was a partial match to someone. After further testing, it turned out that I was not a full match. However, because the HLA typing is now complete, I know that if I am ever contacted again, it will be because I am a complete match to someone in need.

This isn't your typical volunteer act. After the initial registration and blood draw, I haven't really done anything. I know that I may never be a match. But I made the choice to do this and possibly give someone a second chance at life. My hope is that each of you will consider joining the Registry. Even if you cannot donate blood, you may be able to join the Registry. Please take the time to learn more at:

Canada: www.blood.ca/registry/
USA: www.marrow.org/
UK: www.anthonynolan.com/
Worldwide: www.bmdw.org/

I don't intend for this post to become one of those terrible forwarded e-mails. So, don't do it. Just enjoy your holidays and consider this request. :)

Myra