Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABO Renewal

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

ABO Renewal

So I've been sitting here at my desk for the last 30 minutes debating if I should send in my ABO renewal. I have enough credits, that's not the issue - I actually have too many :)

My question is...why? Why should I send the ABO $85 for basically nothing? What has the ABO done for me, that ensures that the industry I'm apart of is better off? I'm no better paid for being ABO certified - maybe if the state of Michigan required licensure that would be a different story - although I doubt that highly. Regardless of being certified, the ABO has done nothing in terms of my skills or knowledge - those are mine and mine alone. As I see it, the ABO has done ziltch in terms bettering opticianry - other groups like the NAO have done more in terms of education and lobbying the world of optics for opticianry issues.

So....my question becomes....why should the ABO get $85 of my well earned money?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' credentials...gimme a break. We're at the bottom of the ophthalmic food chain and still griping about credentials, education, licensed, non-licensed, apprenticed, etc... We are our own worst enemy.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda
    My question is...why? Why should I send the ABO $85 for basically nothing? What has the ABO done for me, that ensures that the industry I'm apart of is better off? I'm no better paid for being ABO certified - maybe if the state of Michigan required licensure that would be a different story - although I doubt that highly. Regardless of being certified, the ABO has done nothing in terms of my skills or knowledge - those are mine and mine alone. As I see it, the ABO has done ziltch in terms bettering opticianry - other groups like the NAO have done more in terms of education and lobbying the world of optics for opticianry issues.

So....my question becomes....why should the ABO get $85 of my well earned money?
    I agree with what you are saying, they have not contributed to making the industry any better and have actually lowered the standards for their tests, but they are the only organization that does have standards in this industry. The NAO is an institution that focuses on education, the OAA is an institution that focuses on legislation, and the ABO is an institution that focuses on certification. They are all in bed together so if you don't support one you hurt them all.

Also, the ABO is not supposed to do zilch for you, you learn for yourself and if you are happy with being competent at your job then the ABO is all you need, if you want to elevate yourself to a professional status then you pursue the Advanced certifications through ABO and NCLE, thats when you will really see the benefits of the organizations.

Plus, renewal is only $2.36 an month. The cheapest credentials you can buy. Good luck with your decision.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    As Harry said - the "job" of the ABO is solely to put forth a system (the various tests and continuing education) by which to set a standard of knowledge for opticians.

When I was dispensing, I would make sure my name badge always said "ABOC" or "ABO certified". This would strike interest in the consumers who asked "what does that mean?" I would explain that unfortunately, Oregon is a non-licensed state meaning there is no standards of education or knowledge that someone claiming to be an optician is required to know. The ABO is a national standard test that I chose to take.

That always proved to be an interesting conversation :cheers: .

Occupation
    I have seen opticians in MD use the designation Board Certified Opticians. I don't know about it's legitamacy, but they are respected more than the individuals without.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    So I've been sitting here at my desk for the last 30 minutes debating if I should send in my ABO renewal. I have enough credits, that's not the issue - I actually have too many :)

Maybe someday Michigan will require licensure and you'll be glad you renewed. Maybe someday you'll need a job that requires it. You should renew it.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say renew it and strive to be a MASTER at your trade! Who cares if your state is not a licensed state. Its all about YOU !!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Trade?

If it is merely a trade, then probably certifications and other credentials are not important. If you consider Opticianry a profession, then you should renew. Therein lies Opticianry's plight. the definition is varied, and training and education so different, we don't even know who or what we are.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

We just renewed my wife's. . . .

and next year we will renew mine. I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but does anyone know what they do with this money??

And Dr McDonald brings up an interesting point. Are people that fabricate any less Opticians than those that work retail? If I have a question I usually call someone working wholesale.

Has the ABO ever marketed itself to wholesale through OLA or any other means? I agree with Judy that we are our own worst enemys. We just don't agree on why. I believe that part of it is a certification body that is content and has no reason and no accountability to change.

Another part of it is our inability to reach out to wholesale and other segments of our own industry.

I'm sorry that wasn't very Christmasy!! Have a Happy Holiday!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IMHO, not inability, rather unwillingness to change. The prevailing attitude has been that hands on training rather than formal education was "good enough for my father, grandfather, etc.; it's good enough for me." I shake my head in frustration when licensure/certification is viewed as just another way to separate us hard working Opticians from our pitiful salaries. If we were to agree in principle that Opticians fit, fabricate, adjust and dispense spectacles and contact lenses; and further agree that the consumer of these optical goods is best served by a college-educated and state licensed Optician, we might just inch up the food chain. Otherwise, it's just so much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    i hate to say it, but refuse to pay ABO or NCLE anymore money.
    and as far as being a master at your trade, we do not need the ABO to tell us that we are.
    lets face it, the ABO can be passed by anyone. i personally do not see a value.
    go to your local college and get a degree that actually means something..
    just my opinion...

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter PNKansas's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Big Smile The art of "20-20 hind sight"

Quote Originally Posted by specs2see View Post
    i hate to say it, but refuse to pay ABO or NCLE anymore money.
    and as far as being a master at your trade, we do not need the ABO to tell us that we are.
    lets face it, the ABO can be passed by anyone. i personally do not see a value.
    go to your local college and get a degree that actually means something..
    just my opinion...
    I completely agree with this comment. The only thing that I can offer as any advice is "you never know what is around the corner". I had my certificaiton at one point a few years ago and decided to change my direction in optics completely to wholesale lab work instead. I felt no need for me to renew or keep my certification up-to-date. However with my wife's transfer to another State I have found it quite un-nerving to find out that I now live in a licensed state and could benefit by having it now that I have moved into a state where it is looked upon as a benefit.
    As far as the ABO Organization. I am right there with everyone else. The organization isn't there for anyones benefit but there own.

Good luck in your decision...just remember no one can predict the future accurately yet...you never know what is around the corner.

Occupation

This is what I think ...

Becoming/staying certified in a non-licensed state means you are taking your profession/craft/trade (whatever you want to call it) seriously, even if your employer and legislators don't take it as seriously.

You are chosing to do something that is not out of necessity but rather out of professional pride in what you are doing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Certificates do hold some value with your customers. $28.33 per year and a 39 cent stamp isn't going to break any one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Framebender;169297]and next year we will renew mine. I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but does anyone know what they do with this money??

They use it to pay the little old man that oversees the test and falls asleep and snores during the whole 2 hours. And his wife who sits next to him and knits.:bbg:

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    I really find the college education aspect of this discussion almost amusing. I am college educated - although my degree isn't in opticianry. I've worked with degreed opticians (Ferris State Univ. old opticianry program) and in all honesty, they were (and still are IMO) no more educated about optics that I am (having apprenticed with a Master Optician for three years).

And regardless of this being a trade or profession (although to be a profession, don't the majority of people need to consider you professional - the people that matter [clients/patients] do not tend to consider us professional but rather an employee of the doctor...??) I am not convinced that the ABO has done anything for me. I am 110% comfortable with my knowledge and skill set as an optician - to the average patient, my ABO plaque means little or nothing. And as has been pointed out, anyone with a few hours of study can pass the exam. As proof, my wife took the exam two years ago (she's an interior designer) with three hours of prep from me and passed with 74%. She is no more an optician than the lady that grooms my dog. Yet she passed the certification test that our industry says is the standard benchmark to determine one's ability to perform this trade/profession/job.

Occupation

Oooh. . . .!!

I can fall asleep and snore!! Does anyone know how I can get his job?!?

Happy Holidays!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    I can fall asleep and snore!! Does anyone know how I can get his job?!?

Happy Holidays!!

Does your wife knit? :p

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    And as has been pointed out, anyone with a few hours of study can pass the exam. As proof, my wife took the exam two years ago (she's an interior designer) with three hours of prep from me and passed with 74%. She is no more an optician than the lady that grooms my dog. Yet she passed the certification test that our industry says is the standard benchmark to determine one's ability to perform this trade/profession/job.
    I've taken the ABO 3 times (because I let my certification expire) and I agree that the test has really become watered down since the first time I took the test.

I was really frustrated by the end of the last test and took the time to fill out one of those little "feedback" forms telling the ABO what I thought about the level of "difficulty" .

Perhaps if every optician that was "frustrated" took the time to write to the ABO, perhaps they would get the message.

Can you imagine the kind of attention they would pay if thousands of opticians would voice their opinion about the test?

Seriously, would anyone be interested in participating in a letter writing campaign to the ABO - I think it would be more of a statement if the letters arrived pretty much all at the same time.

Would anyone like to join me for a 39 cent "investment" in the profession?

Or, is there too much apathy?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

my1.5 cents

As opticians I feel we must look at the ABO/NCLE as a starting point. If we cant agree that it is a must for every optician to have what do you think are your chances of obtaining licensor in MI,OR,PA. Every state that has "license opticians" uses the ABO/NCLE in some part to decide who can become a license optician. Use the ABO/NCLE to your advantage by rallying local opticians to become certified then as a group contact your state Representatives and push to become a license state, then you can see the monetary payoff.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Every state that has "license opticians" uses the ABO/NCLE in some part to decide who can become a license optician.
    Not in North Carolina. The ABO and NCLE combined will substitute for less than half of our test. However, that only comes into play when an ABOC optician moves to NC. In order to become licensed in NC, you have to go to school for two years OR apprentice for 3.5 years, then a 6 month externship for both school or apprentice. Then, pass the test. Then you're licensed. If I got ABOC, it wouldn't mean squat here.

Occupation

Can she knit. . . . .?!?!?

For 1.2 million a year she'll be more than happy to learn!! Besides, she already crochets, does that count?!?

Have a Happy Holiday!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    The ABO and NCLE combined will substitute for less than half of our test.
    Then the state of NC uses/or recognizes at least in "part". Every license state finds the ABO/NCLE, for better or worse, some sort of bench-mark. My point is that the ABO/NCLE is the only consistence that opticians have on a national basis. We should hang on to them for dear life. Now thats not to say that I think the ABO/NCLE is just fine, I think it should be MUCH tougher. Every one should call ABO/NCLE and request that the tests be tougher.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paul-
    I completely agree with that. I'm not perfect, and I'm working on my license so I'm not even licensed yet, but I'm amazed on a daily basis at what gets out the door from other shops. (I saw a pt today who had Panamics set at 15mm. She couldn't read through them, and complained to the company several times, but to no avail. What were they thinking??)
    I really think if we raise that bar, the public will start to see more truly trained Opticians, and perhaps gain more respect for our field.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    Becoming/staying certified in a non-licensed state means you are taking your profession/craft/trade (whatever you want to call it) seriously, even if your employer and legislators don't take it as seriously.

You are chosing to do something that is not out of necessity but rather out of professional pride in what you are doing.
    Phew, thank you Gos Gueen.

Thread Information