Thread: Script for explaining charges for exam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Script for explaining charges for exam

Do you use a script for when a patient calls and wants to know how much an eye exam is? If so, what do you say and how do you keep from sounding robotic?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If someone asks how much it is, I tell them the price. I tell them that we perform only comprehensive eye examinations which include a complete review of occular health as well as the refraction for the eyeglass prescription. Our doctor is very thorough and specializes in treatment of disease, so when they come in, I feel many people see first hand where the expense comes from-he really gives his full attention to each patient.
    Last edited by EyeFitWell; 12-15-2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A script? Only during training. Here is how it goes..How much is your eye exam? / For eyeglasses or contact lenses? / Eyeglasses. / Do you have vision insurance? / No. / Alright, a comprehensive exam is XXXX. Would you like to schedule an appointment with Dr. X? / Oh yes I would! / Fine,let me take care of that for you. So that's how it goes more or less with exceptions to the rules all the time. And don't forget to smile while you are speaking.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

It seems as if no matter what script you might use or not use that once a future patient hear's the amount of the exam they automatically go in to a defense mode. Why would you want to go to a place that charges lets say over $ XXX for an exam when you could go to Sam's or Wal Mart for lesser of a price? This is the question that we need to reinforce the answer to! We need to make sure that by the time we hang up with the future patient that he/she knows that they will be receiving the best comprehensive eyecare for a great price. Majority of the time I have found that the patient will schedule and exam once they have a knowledge of what they would be missing if they were to go somewhere else, especially if you accept their insurance.:bbg: You always get what you pay for!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by catchthevision View Post
    It seems as if no matter what script you might use or not use that once a future patient hear's the amount of the exam they automatically go in to a defense mode. Why would you want to go to a place that charges lets say over $ XXX for an exam when you could go to Sam's or Wal Mart for lesser of a price?

We keep our exam prices very reasonable and in fact one of the lowest in the area. Why? It brings them in the door and then they belong to us....well, most of the time anyway. We don't consider Sam's Club or Walmart our competition for exams, only for contact lenses.

Thread Information