View Poll Results: Will you work for Wal-Mart?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maybe

4 7.02%
  • No

16 28.07%
  • some time in the future

1 1.75%
  • Never

12 21.05%
  • Not my cup of tee

4 7.02%
  • Definitly yes

3 5.26%
  • Yes

4 7.02%
  • Not even dead

16 28.07%
  • I love that kind of enviroment

1 1.75%
  • Is not that bad, yes

2 3.51%
  • Hey! it could be worse

6 10.53%
  • I like to be pushed

2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Work at Wal-Mart or Sam,s Club.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Work at Wal-Mart or Sam,s Club.

It use to be plesant to work for wal-mart inc. but lately the re-direction of the company is towards numbers and more numbers. They even tell the managers to cut the hours of the employees because they are not making the numbers. The stress level is so high that you get sick and the pay is a joke.
    The latest one is to push the employees to do opticianry work while the liscensed optician is off. The important thing is the numbers.
    They push so much their district managers that any illigal activity is concidered acceptable as long as you do the numbers.
    They don't help the managers find opticians because is easier to work them to death instead.
    If this is the type of enviroment you like to work for, then,
    Welcome to Wal-mart, Inc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then, why u still work there?

Boycott W-M. I even flip the channel whem their ad is on tv.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

been there done the that

I read your thread about working for Sam's and/or Wal Mart and got a giggle out of it. I use to be an optician for Sam's and it is so true about the working environment. I started out as a cashier than worked my way up to a supervisor, which i achieved a love hate relationship for, than i transfered to their optical department. It was the best move i ever made while working at Sam's, a total of a waping 3 years. I quit once our club got a new general manager and it turned from being a pleasant working environment where i loved my job to a slave driven, number gaining job. I remember back in the day where the motto of Sam's was service to the member. They jumped that train and now it is all about service to the managers and how good we can make them look and how high we can get our numbers to be. Regardless of how lousy their service is (which if any of you who read this have been into a Sam's lately realize that that has gone down the toilet) I say more power to you if you can survive and handle that type of working environment but i think you are CRAZY:hammer:

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an individual who has said my fair share of negative comments about a large corporate chain this may sound surprising, Wal Mart is about the money and the numbers but I would suggest that a major part of the problem is how good the managers and district managers are. at LC I talked to people from other districts who could not believe the crap we had to put up with. it is not necessarily the corporation, heck we all want to make money why should they be any different, it is the people in it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a liberal...a progressive, a Californian, a San Franciscan. You couldn't pay me enough to work there.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper can't do the numbers...................

Quote Originally Posted by myno1pet View Post
    It use to be plesant to work for wal-mart inc. but lately the re-direction of the company is towards numbers and more numbers. They even tell the managers to cut the hours of the employees because they are not making the numbers.
    If you dont have the customers..................you can't make the numbers.

Ford is cutting employees and so is GM, Kodak and hundreds of other non related companies.

Maybe the largest retailer is starting to feel the pinch.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did my time.... it is all true.
    over a year of that crap.
    I am at costco now, And I can honestley say, The way they do things is MUCH BETTER. i can redo a pair of glasses for a patient without having to beg my manager.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I answered "not even dead", however I worked for JCPenny Optical in the late 80's... We all have to start somewhere and then get out;)

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also did time at Wally World (5 yrs) and I say its all true. If our store was slow in the morning the big-wigs would force the manager to send someone home then when it got busy in the afternoon we would have no staff to sell properly. The last three years I worked there they cut our hours back every December. I have a wife and kids and Christmas is a pretty crappy time to be cutting hours, especially when we could see the cash being exchanged out in the main store. The "We can't afford the staff" crap rang hollow in my ears.

My last straw was when you could no longer get A/R as an option but was automatic on any lens material that wasn't CR-39. This may seem a bit strange but for me it was one more piece of control that they had over my patients. Their A/R would literally peel off of the lenses and then they would not warranty it for patients. I was supposed to look my patients in the face and say,

"I'm sorry but you should have taken better care of your lenses. I can sell you new lenses to correct that problem and oh by the way I am also going to charge you a lens proccessing fee because you are using your own frame this time." WHAT A FRICKING JOKE! At Wal-mart you do what is best for Wal-mart, not what is best for your patient.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I am a liberal...a progressive, a Californian, a San Franciscan.
    :DHey nobody's perfect we still like you.:cheers:

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cautious Reminder: Everything you read here......

Dear Fellow Members-

A Cautious Reminder: Everything you read here may or may NOT be true. The claims in the original post are unsubstantiated at best, and in the opinion of some, designed to paint a company in poor light. I for one, do not seriously believe that a company would knowingly encourage employees to violate state licensure laws. It just doesn't make any sense for them to do that.

Posting guidelines are very clear concerning company bashing and members continuing to violate these rules will be dealt with somewhat harshly.

end of sermon
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What if the bashing has nothing at all to do with optical? ;)
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Bashing.........................

What if the bashing has nothing at all to do with optical? ;)

Maybe you will have to go on the basher forum............:bbg:

Crash Bash forum - Neoseeker Forums :hammer:

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Dear Fellow Members-

A Cautious Reminder: Everything you read here may or may NOT be true. The claims in the original post are unsubstantiated at best, and in the opinion of some, designed to paint a company in poor light. I for one, do not seriously believe that a company would knowingly encourage employees to violate state licensure laws. It just doesn't make any sense for them to do that.

Posting guidelines are very clear concerning company bashing and members continuing to violate these rules will be dealt with somewhat harshly.

end of sermon
    There were many an occasion when a job would come back from the lab with obvious scratches, incorrect PD's, heck, i even got a SLAB OFF on a SINGLE VISION LENS because the person who sold them thought it would make the lens thinner. and everytime, I was encouraged to "pass them, and see if the customer will notice." I refused as that IS breaking the law and not worth losing my licenses over. But if I didnt do it someone else would. :angry:
    That is what I call Violating state licensure laws.
    If we had a remake, even if it was the lab's fault, it came out of the STORE'S Markdowns, and the DM's dont like that, so they would encourage us to turn a blind eye to several things that I wouldnt let get on to a customer OVER MY DEAD BODY.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I for one, do not seriously believe that a company would knowingly encourage employees to violate state licensure laws. It just doesn't make any sense for them to do that.
    If u ever work there you will believe these bashing are more true than false.

The top management (CEO level) definitely have all ways to make them looks like they are law-obeying citizens. However, they also push for $$ so much, the lower level managers have to cut corners to meet the numbers (so they can keep their jobs). On their way to meet the numbers, rules/ethics/law are broken.

They also make it so difficult for the victims fight for their rights. Do u know that W-M's employee code says you can be fired if you process a transaction for your friends (true in 2004).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ohhhhhhhhhhh.........

dear fellow members.......... beware of the big bad wolf!!!!

:drop:

Dear Fellow Members-

end of sermon

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyesonyou View Post
    dear fellow members.......... beware of the big bad wolf!!!!

:drop:
    I'm so scared..................big brothers are watching

:D

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    The purpose of the poll is to bash a leading firm in our industry. I find bashing an embarrassment to this forum. Stating ones opinion is exactly what we are seeking. Bashing is just poor behavior.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh yeah ?

I am a liberal...a progressive, a Californian, a San Franciscan. You couldn't pay me enough to work there.
    I am a staunch conservative, a republican, an Ohioian. You couldn't pay me enough to work there.

See, WM really does bring people together!
    :cheers:And while we're on it, what's with the 2 WM guys and the beer ?
    I was never fond of the "yellow smiley", but since WM, I really can't stand it.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

chain stores

Wal-Mart is not really any different than any other chain retailer. All optical departments inside Wal-Mart's are not even owned or managed by Wal-Mart.
    JimMiller ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, the optical is owned and managed by Walmart. It's the Optometrist that is independent. Same with Sam's Club. I know, I work there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some locations are corporate and some are leased space. I've worked for both. All of the Sam's Clubs are now corporate. As the leases run out in the Walmarts they are being converted over to a corporate operation.

Thread Information