Thread: Advice sought for post cataract 62 yr-old

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Advice sought for post cataract 62 yr-old

I would like advice on progressive lens recommendations for a post-cataract 62-year old active golfer, shooter, and TV watcher. :)

I have been wearing progressives (mostly Varilux) for around 20 years and recently had successful cataract surgery. I will be receiving my new prescription on December 14 and would like to have it filled immediately. I was formerly extremely myopic (around 20/600 uncorrected -- correctible to 20/15) for 55 years, since I was 7 years old, but my post-surgery distance vision is now excellent with just a touch of astigmatism; I will need an intermediate and reading correction in addition to the general astigmatism correction. I could probably get away with just wearing a reading-type glass, but having worn glasses for so long, I would just as well prefer a new full-time progressive lens. One reason for this is that having worn specs for so long and from such a young age, I never developed the protective habits for my eyes that "ordinary" people do -- I have always had "safety" glasses on when doing things.

I am an avid and better-than-average golfer and also enjoy shooting and TV-watching from a semi-reclining position in bed as well as normal stuff such as driving. I have gotten literature on the new Varilux lines, but while doing some research on the latest and greatest, I found your forum and am intrigued by all the different stuff out there. The Zeis stuff sounds interesting as well as other lines that have been mentioned here. Value is important but price alone is not necessarily the most important concern since hopefully this prescription should last me a very long time, if not for the rest of my life.

Thanks for any advice that you guys may have to offer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest you review the posting guidlines. Secondly, I would search out a competent eyecare provider in your area who can direct you in your eyecare needs. An internet chat forum for Eyecare Professionals is not the place you should be seeking advice.

Thread Information