Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ABO exam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

To all you folks who took the exam, I congratulate you on your desire to grow. If the test seemed hard, that's not bad news. It means you needed to study some more. I share these tips with you if you retake it, and for the rest of you, try these. They work.
    1, Take notes on what you read. Then rewrite the notes at least three times until they are as sharp, clear, clean and fully memorized as they can be. How will you know? Go to #2
    2, YOU MUST form a study group of an odd number of members not to exceed 5. ORALLY test each other based on your notes as well as old exams you get your hands on. Correct your notes. Rewrite them completely from front to back. Start your study group 1 month before the exam. Meet once a week until the last 2 weeks. Then 3 times a week.
    3, Get lots of rest the day before. DO NOT CRAM. No need to. If you pass the oral exams and wrote all the notes over 4 or 5 times. You are ready.
    REWRITING NOTES WRITTEN FROM READING MATERIAL AND SEMINAR LECTURES, COACHING SESSIONS FROM A BRILLIANT EMPLOYER SEVERAL TIMES OVER AND COMPILED IN A BOOK YOU WOULD BE PROUD OF WINS YOU A WIN EVERY TIME.

I have historical proof this works. And, yes . . it seems like a lot to do. But, is your career worth it? Darn tootin it is.

Like they say in show biz when its time to "go on" (take your test) . . .
    "Break a leg!" That means do well and "kick *** !"

Alan W

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the encouragement. I am really starting to feel a little better about it all. I did most of what Alan said to do except the get plenty of rest the night before. I am an extreme type A personality and could not have slept if someone paid me to. I really had no one to study with however. My husband and my mom tested me,but neither one of them knows a thing about optical. Of course now they are probably both ready to sit for the exam :)I really feel now that if I did not pass that I will just get over it and take it again. As hard as failure will be for me I love the business and can't imagine doing anything else. As for rewriting the notes: my notes look like when you get punished in grade school and made to write a million sentences! Of course that NEVER happened to me y'know :)
    Thanks again everyone!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree that study groups work, as do review courses. Each person has to realize, however, that a review course DOES NOT teach Optics, it is a review and reminds us what to brush up on, only.

One thing that I did many years ago, was to read outloud into a tape recorder, and at night after I was tired of studying, I simply turned the tape on and fell asleep listening to it. Don't know if it worked, but the experts say we learn in different ways. My belief is that it's kinda like chicken soup. Couldn't hurt.

Diane

------------------

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I just thought of something else. Why don't we start posts here, but in the technical site, items that those who will be studying for the ABO test, can refer to. What better place to assist our fellow future opticians.

Diane (I still believe that education is the key)

------------------

Bad address email on file

Confused

Pam, Steph, et. al.
    I also took the exam last month....I agree it was most difficult! I opened that book and thought I was in the wrong room! What the heck happened? I studied for 6 months, an hour and a half each morning, uninterrupted, without fail. I bought $200 worth of books and study materials from NAO, to suppliment what I could get my hands on at work. I tested myself constantly, moving from 40% range to 95% range average on the tests in the books and programs. I wrote flashcards on all the glossaries and quizzes. I have two spiral notebooks filled with my longhand of notes while I was studying. I always had the notebooks and flashcards with me, studying them at ballgames, in the car at the drawbridge, etc. I had no one to study with, no one I knew was testing, but my co-workers would quiz me all day long. I knew every formula. I got prism down pat. I do optical crosses in my sleep. But I am 100% certain I got 43% correct, so I can only pray my guess factor was extremely high.

Ranges? Come on! A seg height is a seg height, especially when they give you a ruler, and a picture that isn't moving around and looking for friends. How come what I measured was in the middle of two of the "range" choices? Nuts.

I came out of that test and headed straight for my notes, and I couldn't find a single answer to any of the 57 questions I wasn't sure about. I sure never discovered anything about PD or seg height "ranges" while measuring.

Hey, good luck, and same to me. Only 7 more weeks before we find out. And I truly haven't a clue.

[This message has been edited by LabMeister (edited 06-02-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Labmeister, I sure can feel your pain(I am sure Pam as well). It was not so much of what was on there as how it was worded. It sure is a heck of alot easier to cut and fit glasses. I really hope you passed! We can all start a prayer chain :) PLEASE GOD LET US PASS! Now I sure can't wait to take the NCLE! How about you, Pam?!(note the sarcasm)
    There were just so many answers that were gray areas. I've taken many tests, but most were it is either black or white right or wrong. I studied like you also:flash cards, notebooks, textbooks the whole 9 yards. When I came out that day my husband was waiting outside and he asked me 2or3 times 'how'd you do'? I just kept saying take me home I just want to go home now.
    Hope we all passed,
    Steph

OptiBoard Apprentice

Unhappy

Steph,
    I was going to take the NCLE this fall, but I am all studied out for now! I've done contact lens fitting for about 4 years, but I've been an optician longer than that, and I thought the ABO was hard. I think I will take a break on tests for a little while, enjoy the summer 'cause it doesn't last that long up here, and take the NCLE next spring. That way I can spend the long cold winter indoors studying contact lenses! Well, we all need something to look forward to!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pam, I agree with you on this one. I have decided to take it next May also. We can not legally fit contacts in the state of TN unless under the supervision of a doctor. I know quite a bit about them, but then again I thought I knew quite a bit about lenses until I took the ABO. I think we probably both did fine on it. I sure hope everyone who took it passed. Everyone I have spoke with here that passed it said they had absolutely no idea whether they had passed or not until they got the dreaded letter. I would have paid the proctors if they would have graded it then :) I just can't understand why 6-8 weeks for a result. This waiting is harder than the test. Just tell me one way or the other. I am sure that you feel the same way.
    Talk to you later!
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello

I hope you passed, I did 11 years ago. Just out of curiosity... can you remember some of the hard questions. I would like to see if they can be answered by with a working opticians knowledge.

Thread Information