Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenscrafters

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Lenscrafters

I just aquired a position with Lenscrafters as an optician. Can anyone working for them tell me what it is like working for them. Ant tips or clues to culture and so on would be appreciated. I start after Christmas. Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, perhaps I was being bitter...
    Last edited by EyeFitWell; 12-05-2006 at 12:08 PM. Reason: In a better mood now

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you know what the optical industry is like (outside of chains) it can be really frustrating. No Short Corridors, no Office lenses, no warranties, no special orders, etc. I got more of the type of folks who have an "emergency" b/c they didn't get their CL exam done and have to wear glasses, or got pink eye and doesn't have a pair of glasses or goes there thinking it's the cheapest place in town then yells at you about the prices (like you can do anything!?!)
    Last edited by EyeFitWell; 12-05-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as a disgruntled ex employee take what I say as you want.

1 Make friends with the management, being part of the clique is as important as doing your job.

2 Meet your numbers if you make a million in sales it doesn't matter if you don't have the percentages of frames over 99, AR, second pairs.

3 Keep your resume updated. You are expendable.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I worked there for over 15 years.

In my experience...:

1) a lot of what happens will be related to your store management and also the field management that is over you. There are some great managers in the company but then, there are some that are not so great.

2) be prepared for a very top down management - ideas don't go the other way very often

3) it can be a great company if you want to transfer to different parts of the country.

4) be prepared to not have every lens or material available to order. Also, know that it's difficult to special order things (frames). In the big picture, it does make sense to limit what is offered - if all those stores were special ordering, it would be a mess.

I do have some fond memories of my time there ... :o

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks!

Thanks for the candid replys. It sounds like a real challenge.
    Can you tell me more about sales quotas etc. ? How does Lc compare to other Luxotica chains like Pearle Vision? How does it ompare to Walmart Vision aside from price, naturally?
    Anyone familiar with the LC's in Pennsylvania?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think it would be a good idea.........

To handle replies to these questions by using private messenging.Keeping in mind there is no way to verify ANY claim made in these forums. I am not trying to discourage dialog but this thread is headed in the wrong direction. Please don't use these forums as a place to vent on specific companies.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You know I did have a few issues but I did learn alot and would have to say that it was an experience that I don't regret. I think that if you can every one should work both chain and private at some time just for the experience.

Occupation
    I got to tell you, I work in a Franchised Pearle Vision and I feel like I get the best of both worlds.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That was well put....

Harry, That was well put. PS happy Birthday- sorry I missed it but I'll bet you had a good time anyway! :D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked there for 11 years. I learned a lot, and really got some excellent experiences out of it. The Gift of Sight program was my heart and soul there for quite some time, but I also enjoyed being able to bounce in and out of the lab.

LC is very political though... and what maybe an interpretation of a policy may be different depending on who you are buddies with..

There is good and bad management everywhere, and LC is no different.

Good benefits, though they do require a certain level of performance. You will be coached each and every time you don't meet expectations. Doesn't matter if you are having that 1/2 off lens sale or not.. the idea is that the pay at least $xxx and if there is a sale, it just means you need to increase the addons/tints/coatings to make sure you meet that goal.

I had a very positive experience there, even if it ended badly... I learned alot, grew a lot, and experienced a lot that has made me a better optician/employee/person.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    PS happy Birthday- sorry I missed it but I'll bet you had a good time anyway!
    My family are like professional torturers with alcohol, you start out celebrating and by the end of the night you don't know how you drank so much, but it was a great time. Thank you for asking.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    My family are like professional torturers with alcohol, you start out celebrating and by the end of the night you don't know how you drank so much, but it was a great time. Thank you for asking.

LOL...Too bad they don't know what a cork is ;^)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I got to tell you, I work in a Franchised Pearle Vision and I feel like I get the best of both worlds.
    I agree. I managed a franchised Pearle for nine years and still do many things the old Pearle way. Working for a franchise you get to understand and experience the "chain" while staying quite independent as far as your customers are concerned.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I came across this message...Are you still at LC? HOw is it going? I too, was employed in management 6 yrs and needed 4 days off in a row to handle a personal situation. (mind you, I ran 2 store simultaneously and increased sales by 52%) they could not give me the 4 days off. I walked.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not miss retail at all.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I worked there for 11 years. I learned a lot, and really got some excellent experiences out of it. The Gift of Sight program was my heart and soul there for quite some time, but I also enjoyed being able to bounce in and out of the lab.

LC is very political though... and what maybe an interpretation of a policy may be different depending on who you are buddies with..

There is good and bad management everywhere, and LC is no different.

Good benefits, though they do require a certain level of performance. You will be coached each and every time you don't meet expectations. Doesn't matter if you are having that 1/2 off lens sale or not.. the idea is that the pay at least $xxx and if there is a sale, it just means you need to increase the addons/tints/coatings to make sure you meet that goal.

I had a very positive experience there, even if it ended badly... I learned alot, grew a lot, and experienced a lot that has made me a better optician/employee/person.

Cassandra
    You also get coached everytime you do meet expectiations. It's never good enough. Worked there for 5 years.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wave Old hat.......................

This thread is old hat..............back from December 06...................6 month in the past and in another 6 month it will be winter again.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We know it's old, ar/girl was wondering if the person who started the thread was still working there?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    This thread is old hat..............back from December 06...................6 month in the past and in another 6 month it will be winter again.
    And I'm still suffering the hangover.:drop:

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    LOL...Too bad they don't know what a cork is ;^)
    they do, it's that pesky thing that slows your drinking game down, anyway liquor doesn't have corks.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hmmm...evidently it appears the person inquiring about LC is still working there....looks like he/she is...TOO BUSY to respond...those l-o-n-g days and l-o-n-g drive...no time for anyting else..life goes on.. :)

I agree that LC was some of the best training I have had.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Lc

I worked ther for 6 years as GM. Great place to start a career because you will see it all. Its even a better place to leave!!! I now work for myself and love being an optician again.:)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Party:

Does you wording mean that you didn't concider yourself an optician while at LC and you now love having returned to being an optician now that independent?

Chip

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Party:

Does you wording mean that you didn't concider yourself an optician while at LC and you now love having returned to being an optician now that independent?

Chip
    GMs are rarely called upon to be Opticians except in the smallest of stores they spend their time telling others how and what they are doing wrong, Doctor detailing, and getting yelled at by the regional managers.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Lc

Actually in todays Lencrafters GM are on the the floor selling and dispensing 90% of the time because even in large stores the hour cuts have been drastic. Gone are the days of DR detailing. However telling the assoc they are failures is correct! The entire organization prohibits you from feeling any sense of accomplishment! YOU should always have done better. Anyway I have always considered myself an optician first but having left the BORGE and now can enjoy it again.

Thread Information