Thread: Consumer link

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb Consumer link

I just visited the OAA website and noticed that there is now a consumer link to firm member websites and e-mail addresses.
    Nifty idea!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That is a good idea! I've thought about doing something like that on OptiBoard.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I also noticed this feature while visiting www.opticians.org (I was checking out the speaker database to see how it turned out... very nice!). I like the idea of having an Optician locator, and I can understand why they would only have firm members listed. However, in an ideal world, individual members could give their employment address and they could ALL be listed (of course, who would want the job of keeping up with people's moves, etc... especially since people usually do a poor job of making associations aware of address changes and such...).

Still though, it is a step in the right direction. We've been talking about how to increase public awareness. I could see us creating a website with a name something like opticians.org and listing opticians who have passed a certification level of our choosing. Then, it would just be a matter of making national commercials that advertise the web site. I could see the commercials being sponsored by people who are listed as well as by optical manufacturers...

Whattya think?

Pete
    PS- Like, after those "Presbyopic Six" commercials, they could list a site to find opticians who dispense Varilux products... The website could list the specialties of different opticians (those who fit certain contacts, those who fit Varilux products, those who work extensively with low vision, etc.). Naturally, there would have to be some test of competence in each area...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

I think it sounds like a great idea. How do we get started?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A very good idea Pete!

Obviously our current webmaster has his hands quite full with the new board these days. How can the rest of us get involved with such an undertaking? (I call it that because I know OptiBoard is a labour of love for Steve but it indeed seems to be a labour to maintain.)

I have seen some software developers listed as members - perhaps they have an idea.

PS - The entire OAA site is a great improvement. I think I have visited there more since the overhaul than I ever have in the past.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, let's see... I don't suppose ABO/NCLE customarily releases their list of certificant holders to just anyone that asks... Maybe if we approached the right person over at ABO/NCLE, we might be able to add this feature in conjunction with their web site...

The problem then becomes one of practicality. I mean, it will do little good to have a web site that is able to locate a certified Optician if the public doesn't hear about it... To make the public aware of it, I assume we are going to have to bring in some optical vendors. If we bring in optical vendors, I'm not sure the ABO/NCLE can be a part of the project.

A way around this would be to get a write up about the sight in the various optical journals (20/20, Eyecare Business, etc.). Then, Opticians could register their names, locations, certifications, etc. via an online form. Once again, the trick would be getting corporate sponsorship (cause Heaven forbid Opticians themselves would part with the finances necessary to advertise such a website).

Apart from the task of designing a graphic of the US that could be clicked on (something akin to what the OAA has), I don't think it would be overly difficult to design a pretty slick web site for the project.

Finally, maybe one of the national organizations would lend some resources to the project. For example, since the OAA sort of started the whole idea, perhaps there is a way to inquire if one of us could get the project started with their assistance. I think using the site opticians.org would be a great resource in and of itself.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post- that's just the method I think in (rambling ;) ). I think the key thing is the public. Today's public likes information. With all the TV features and Consumer Reports articles on the quality of eyewear (and their usual mantra about how certified Opticians are usually a source of quality work), the public will probably utilize a resource such as the one we are describing if we can make them aware of it.

Conversely, if there's a national web site making the public aware of one's certifications, education, licenses (or lack thereof), there may be more incentive for the members of our profession to improve their credentials...

If the project were successful, I could envision links to legislation being proposed in different states for the licensure of Opticians (along with information on which representatives to contact if you desire Opticians to be licensed in your state...

What do you think, guys? Anyone have a particularly strong contact at OAA or ABO/NCLE? Anyone tight with a publisher? Anyone have connections with an optical manufacturer? Let's strategize...

Pete

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll bet you're sleeping late today!I th

I think I know where you can get a list of all the ABO certified opticians in ever licensed state.
    Each board of registration who requires passage of ABO/NCLE in order to be licensed will have a list of registered opticians.This should be available either for no cost....or low cost.Its public information.When either Costco or Vista was strapped for help in MA they got our list and sent letters to every license.I'll bet Cindy (cah20/20) might be able to shed some light on this.Obviously this leaves a lot still wide open but it would be a good start.Enjoy the rest of your weekend....and your afternoon nap :D
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't we have a member who was on Vision Monday's staff? Do you think Karlen Lamperelli would be willing to lend a hand?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, I was already thinking of Karlen, and that's an excellent idea concerning the registration lists. Here's a question... should we try to go off registration lists or make it something people have to sign up for (I'm leaning towards the former)?

The thing I think we really need is a manufacturer who is willing to plop a little money into this. Pondering it over the weekend, I also think one of our national organizations is going to have to be willing to part with a little money for advertisement as well. Anyone with a corporate connection? The possible down side for a corporation would be with customers who aren't certified/licensed...

The benefit to the corporate body is going to be exposure of their product. I would think something like Varilux would be an ideal product- since it can only be obtained from particular sources anyway. It would be great at the end of their ad to simply note that www.xxxxxxxxx.com is the place to go to find qualified Opticians.

For my part, I'm willing to convert raw data into a website... I am not a great organizer of corporate backing or national organization participation however, which has to come first before we can approach the Karlens of the world (or the public).

Pete

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete, the problem with getting a company like Varilux, or any other of the larger ones, is that they aren't going to want to participate in any program that is exclusionary.They want to promote all of their customers, not just the ones who are certified.Actually you may not have to reinvent anything....what about the certifying body/bodies that already exist?..Maybe I missed it in the cursory reading I've done above, but why wouldn't they get behind a project of this type? I haven't been to their website so I think I'll take a look see first.Out of curiosity-does anyone know if they have ever said no to something like this.
    Later, harry j
    I did go there and this is what I found-check it out!
    http://www.abo.org/store_submit.asp
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-29-2001 at 03:43 PM.
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

That is a fantastic idea Pete. I know on the TN department of health web site they have a"licensure verification" and all you have to do is punch in someone's name and it will give you all their info. Even mine comes up even though I am not licensed yet it still brings up my info. Pretty informative. I think customers have the right to know who is waiting on them. God help my first patients!! I just thank GOD everyday I have come a long way from then.

Steph

Occupation
    Pete,

You might be interested to know that your hypothetical link goes to a real site. At least it's not as bad as it could have been! :bbg:

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So It Does!

I figured it was just hypothetical too, so I didn't bother with it.Just went back and checked it out!Sure enough......there was my message for the day.As I was asking the Dali Lama in my private conversation with him....."to whom and for how much should I make the check payable!"
    Still riding the "horse of wishes" on Cape Cod!
    Harry J
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    I was really concerned about all those 'xxxxxxxx's in Pete's link and thought it might lead to something a little less appropriate!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie cah2020

Have been moving to a new home, so it took me a bit. Almost all state optician lists can be obtained, except for the state of NY. They rang in price from $30.00 to $60.00. NY won't release their list since they don't want their opticians inundated with junk mail.

Hope that answers your questions, Harry!:p

OptiBoard Professional

Smilie

Cah2020: I was able to look up the New York Opticians at
    http://www.nysed.gov/COMS/OP001/OPSCR1 you just type in a name and it will tell you whether they are licensed or not. I don't
    know if that answer's your question or not, but you can check it out.
    Fish Man:D

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ooops! It appears when you type in anything in the form of a web address, the vB creates a link! Nice feature, but I didn't intend to create a link to a site with a bunch of x's (next time, I'll use "z"s or something ;) ).

I think it would be great to simply offer to expand the scope of the ABO/NCLE project. I had also anticipated the reservations of a manufacturer when it comes to promoting particular professionals. However, it seems to me we should be able to find somebody out there who could "safely" sponsor a project like this (then again, if the project was sponsored, I'm not sure the ABO/NCLE could be involved in it...

As for the OAA or NAO, I think they should ideally be the starting place for this sort of effort. I can't believe it would take much effort in the way of advertising to get the message across (I mean, how many of our patients have heard about that bogus "scratch-b-gone" product :angry: ).

I don't know if either organization would be inclined to part with money for such a sensible undertaking. I'm afraid that, like 99.99% of the membership of these organizations, I know very little about the leadership of our national organizations- nor how to approach them with an idea.

Pete
    PS- The ABO/NCLE site will be great if it is properly advertised...

Occupation
    Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    Ooops! It appears when you type in anything in the form of a web address, the vB creates a link! Nice feature, but I didn't intend to create a link to a site with a bunch of x's (next time, I'll use "z"s or something ;) ).
    Actually you can turn this off by unchecking 'Automatically parse URLs' just below the message box.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information