Thread: Ie7.0

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Ie7.0

Anyone updated to Internet Explorer 7.0 yet, and what do you think.
    It's one of Microsoft's critical updates, I haven't installed as of yet, still waiting for some feedback, I'm happy with 6.0.
    Rich R

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been using it for a week on the home PC. Seems OK, getting fewer of the sneaky pop-ups that would get past pop-up blockers. Really just feels like a visual makeover on 6.0 so far.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just switch to Mozilla and have all those problems eliminated ;)
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I put it on our puters at work (just for using the Windows Update feature that Firefox won't work for). And it seem like a candy-coated IE. They've moved your Tools, etc to the side and polished up the interface.
    Oh, and they copied tabbed browsing from Firefox.
    Otherwise, it seems as though it has slowed the machines down considerably. CPU usage is not up, just everything runs slower.
    I would skip it, unless you plan to go to Vista, in which case you will be forced to have it - not necessarily use it.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Although Internet Explorer 7 has been out for several weeks now, users of the Microsoft Web browser have yet to see all of its new features. That's because the version of IE 7 included with Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system has a few capabilities that aren't found in the version that runs on Windows XP.

The biggest difference in the version of IE 7 that runs on Vista—or IE 7+—is that it inherits the Vista interface and all that it entails, including the translucent Aero Glass view of open windows.

IE 7+ also includes what is called Protected Mode, a sort of sandboxed version of the browser that prevents applications from interfacing with the browser in any way other than through a temporary folder.

That being said, you might want to wait for Vista to upgrade the browser, which poses another question: “Anyone updated to Vista yet, and what do you think. It's one of Microsoft's critical updates, I haven't installed as of yet, still waiting for some feedback, I'm happy with Windows XP.”

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just downloaded it a couple hours ago, as I was just today prompted that a critical update was available, and it turned out to be IE7.

For those of you who installed it and are finding your 'puter has slowed down, I found the same thing UNTIL I RAN A DEFRAG (as is a good practice anytime after you've downloaded a program); back to normal now. I wonder, could the speed reduction be more noticeable on an older less powerful 'puter? I have a pretty nice unit with tons of memory and fast but I still find an increase in speed after defragging.

Do admit I like the tabs for multiple page viewing; much more convenient than the old way.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    I just downloaded it a couple hours ago, as I was just today prompted that a critical update was available, and it turned out to be IE7.

For those of you who installed it and are finding your 'puter has slowed down, I found the same thing UNTIL I RAN A DEFRAG (as is a good practice anytime after you've downloaded a program); back to normal now. I wonder, could the speed reduction be more noticeable on an older less powerful 'puter? I have a pretty nice unit with tons of memory and fast but I still find an increase in speed after defragging.

Do admit I like the tabs for multiple page viewing; much more convenient than the old way.
    I have a very defragmented computer.
    Does anyone else use Diskeeper for their defragging needs? I think it has a bit of an edge over PerfectDisk.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I have a very defragmented computer.
    Does anyone else use Diskeeper for their defragging needs? I think it has a bit of an edge over PerfectDisk.
    Tell me more about both, please. On my old puter I used the addons which came with Nortons, both the disk clean up and the defrag program and I found them very quick and effective. I now use only what comes with the computer but am wanting to upgrade.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Tell me more about both, please. On my old puter I used the addons which came with Nortons, both the disk clean up and the defrag program and I found them very quick and effective. I now use only what comes with the computer but am wanting to upgrade.
    Raxco Perfect Disk works similarly to the Norton Defrag in looks and performance, but is way faster.
    Executive Software Diskeeper also works faster (faster than PerfectDisk even) and has the ability to move lesser-used files to the end of your hard drive(I-FAAST) to keep your most-used files up front for faster access by virtue of putting them on the fastest-moving part of your drive. It's the premium version of the very slow defragger that comes with Windows.
    For those of us who leave their computers on all the time, both can be set to perform automatic defrags at whatever times or frequency you want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanx for the info! I'll look into those.

Also, with my old Norton's on the old system I had CleanSweep; do you know of any comparable program to that? I liked having the ability to quickly clean out any unncessary cookies and the like with a mouseclick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quickbooks

Silly me, my computer said that I had updatesto install so I did it. I didn't look, so I didn't know it was IE 7.0. After install, Quickbooks didn't work. I thought QB was a stand-alone program. It probably need IE 6.0 to get updates. It didn't like IE7.0. At least it told me exactly what the problem was. Had to revert to IE 6.0
    MarcE

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanx for the info! I'll look into those.

Also, with my old Norton's on the old system I had CleanSweep; do you know of any comparable program to that? I liked having the ability to quickly clean out any unncessary cookies and the like with a mouseclick.
    Disk Cleanup in System Tools does a decent job for regular clutter.
    For removing junk files, partial installs, etc. I use System Mechanic 5.0. Try to stay away from System Mechanic 6.0, as it really takes over your entire system, unless you really know how to cripple several parts.

Thread Information