Thread: Is everyone certified?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is everyone certified?

I am just curious of all the dispensing opticians on here, how many are certified? Or licensed? I just took the NOCE a week ago Sunday, I hate that it takes so long to get results.
    -Karen

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't know if everyone is certified or not, but some are definately certifiable.:D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Licensed in my state and NCLE cert, not that the latter makes a hill of beans of difference!!:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie ABO requirement at work place

In 2004, 2 of the major (national) retail chains I worked have requirement that all new hire must have ABO certification. Existing employee must pass ABO in 3 years. At least in California.

Never heard any store require NCLE certification. Though, with NCLE probabily get you 1 extra dollor per hour:) .
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

State License requirement

Again, in California

My experience is that only store manger is required to have a Medical Board of California's "Registered Spectacle Lens Dispenser" license.

I have not seen any "dispensary only" store who sell contact lenses have a CA State "Registered Contact Lens Dispenser" license posted unless they also fit the contact lens. Somehow I wonder is that leagel??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been doing it for 15 years, still haven't gotten licensed....still want to though...but this year's test just fell too close to my wedding.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    15+ years and certified for over 10 of them. IMO, it used to be worth it. Now....I'm not so sure. Someone I used to work with just took the exam for the sixth time - really...how hard is it to pass a multiple choice exam with a 70% where you'll most likely find 1/3 of the answers answered by other questions on the exam? It boggles my mind that he's still employed - then again, I left that organization for a reason....

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    Been doing it for 15 years, still haven't gotten licensed....still want to though...but this year's test just fell too close to my wedding.
    Hi Grub..Same boat as you, dispensing for a long time (21 years) and never certified.

When I came across Ed's challange on Optiboard I decided to just go for it even though the OD's in California really discourage certification. Well, all the OD's that I worked for. I was always told, "what do you need that for, you don't need that, you do just fine"

I know the certification is just a silly piece of paper in California, but its good to set personal goals and continue to learn more about Optics especially since its my career. Even though I hate taking test (I am a horrible test taker), I am going to shoot for the ABOC-AC & NCLE-AC now that I just finished taking the Canadian Optician and Contact Lens Practitioner Exams. I'm going to make time for it!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was suprised at the content on the test, harder than I thought but I have just a little lab experience. The store I am at now does not have their own lab. I hope I passed, I'll feel so stupid if I didn't! It's not required I get certified or licensed but I'd just like to for my own peace of mind. I am the store manager.
    -Karen

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    ...but its good to set personal goals and continue to learn more about Optics especially since its my career.
    I, for one, applaud you for this and wish you the best. Too many times in our profession we find people who do no think it is worth it to get some sort of cetification. I think that you need to get certified even if it does not mean anything. It gets you on the road to learning about you profession. We can argue whether states should have certifications, whether the ABO is watered down, whether the ABO-AC is whatered down, but all in all I think they get some people on the path to learning more about there field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Hi Grub..Same boat as you, dispensing for a long time (21 years) and never certified.

When I came across Ed's challange on Optiboard I decided to just go for it even though the OD's in California really discourage certification. Well, all the OD's that I worked for. I was always told, "what do you need that for, you don't need that, you do just fine"

I know the certification is just a silly piece of paper in California, but its good to set personal goals and continue to learn more about Optics especially since its my career. Even though I hate taking test (I am a horrible test taker), I am going to shoot for the ABOC-AC & NCLE-AC now that I just finished taking the Canadian Optician and Contact Lens Practitioner Exams. I'm going to make time for it!
    I'm actually a pretty good test taker, but I always put it off because this wasn't really what I planned on having my career be. I wanted to teach...still do, but I realize I'm in this field for quite a while longer, so I might as well be as proficient as possible in it....Optiboard has gone a long way to doing that for me....I now am the Lab Manager and Office Manager...a year ago I was just another "sales" optician.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

When I came out of wholesale. . .

in 1978, the guy I worked for paid for me to take the ABO & NCLE. I passed and then he got me licensed to a location in California. Do they still do that?!? Not license you as a person, but tie you to a location?? I let the NCLE lapse when I moved out here to Colorado in 1987. I still keep the ABO though and I am a member of my state association.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb CA State licenses

Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    in 1978, the guy I worked for paid for me to take the ABO & NCLE. I passed and then he got me licensed to a location in California. Do they still do that?!? Not license you as a person, but tie you to a location??
    Kind of.

To open a dispensary in CA, you need a "Register Dispensing Optician" (RDO) license. Anybody or leagel entity can apply for a RDO license with a RSLD number on the application form. RSLD - "Registered Spectacle Lens Dispenser" - is issued by the State Medical Board as an optician license. RDO is tie to a store and RSLD is tie to a person. But RDO requires a RSLD. You need to pass ABO in order to apply RSLD. This is how things work in California nowaday.

Doctors can add dispensary to the business without above requirement.
    Last edited by a1vo; 11-28-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: addition

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Certified ABO/NCLE as well as Master Certified and Advanced certified NCLE.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I've heard in Arizona, stores that are owned by Doctor's run off the Doctor's license so you do not need a LDO (Licensed Dispensing Optician) on staff but that if you are a store not owned by a Doctor, you need someone licensed in the store at least 32 hours a week. But then I also heard that AZ in NOT a state that requires a license. I don't know where to look to find out for sure. Anyone else here from AZ?
    -Karen

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you go to www.nao.org , in the Additional Information section, you'll find State Opticianry Boards. That should give you information about your state and who to contact.

Good luck to you!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Go to the OAA's web site at www.oaa.org click on the links section than state licensing boards and not only will you get their contact information, but what requirements their are for licensure.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

certified

licensed since 1974 in ny,dropped, licensed currently in N.C. and georgia, formerly licensed in tenn and south carolina, dropped, abo certified twice and ncle certified twice, also dropped

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Twice actually. Took the ABO in 1989 just for the heck of it since I had been in the business ten years. Let it lapse while having children before there was such a thing as on-line CEs etc. Took it again two years ago because my boss wanted me to and paid for it. Glad I did though what difference it makes I don't know. Will look good on my resume if I need a job.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I am! both certified and licensed, ABO and NCLE....

5 years ago as I watched my mentor slave over an edger all day, I never thought I would get licensed....

Yet here I am!

:cheers:

Occupation
    I am ABOC in a non licensed state. I work in a non-dispensing, administrative type position now and have decided to keep it as long as I work in the "eyeball" field ;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ABOC and licensed in VA.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SMC(tech) and currently in 2nd year of ABDO course.....hehehe just thought i'd throw in a random UK qualification amongst this mass of US ones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Licensed in TN, which these days requires both ABOC and NCLC to achieve but doesnt yet require that you STAY certified, just that you get your 4 & 4 CEs each year. BTW, some of these classes are pretty GOOD!
    This topic reminds me: gotta send in my CEs report and $$ before the end of the year to renew one of the certifications. I prefer to stay "certified" in case that rule gets changed too.
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Licensed in VA w/Contact Lens Certification, Refractometry Grad as well.

Thread Information