Thread: Motivation and team building

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Motivation and team building

Motivation and team building
    No motivation no action, no action no results. Please give your feed back for how to keep oneself and every body around one motivated? How to build a winning team? How do you do that in your office? Opticians, Optometrists, Ophthalmologists, Sales professionals, Management Officers, Sales Reps etc. every body is invited to take part in this discussion.

Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crier mmm

Well sadly our boss needs to learn a lot about this subject as his idea is that to get anyone to do anything you just need to shout.
    The louder the better and it never when he's next to you either.
    Not my idea of motivotion at all infact it has the oppersite affect on everbody. Its like why should we bother at all........
    To my mind if someone needs a kick up the backside then it should be done on one side where its between the two of you and not the whole factory, Staff need to feel wanted and respected which then sould lead to respect in the other direction.
    Not forgetting the pat on the back for a job well done.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Here are a few thoughts:

1) If you are in a management position, lead by example. No one likes a hypocrite.

2) Have a vision for your organization. Where do you want to be in six months? a year? five years?

3) Share the knowledge and experience you have with those who need it. Seek knowledge and experience from those who have it.

4) Celebrate successes and learn from failures.

5) Have fun!

Blake

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Set goals that are attainable and can be measured then reward and praise for meeting those goals. I have found out that telling folks they are doing a good job goes a long way.

Give your staff a sense of ownership and make it a good thing (see point above) but don't lump the big tasks all on one person's shoulders or they will feel like they do all of the work.

Make training tools available to your staff. It is important to give people the opportunity to advance their skills. Find out if you local labs or vendors have any CE seminars available and give you people the time off to go to the courses. Promote certification and any college programs - get info and have it on hand in the shop. Be a mentor to your staff. One of the biggest complaints is about not having questions answered or recieving any real in house training. I know we are all busy but make the time even if you have to offer your own seminar after hours. Make it worth their time be having pizza or some form of food. People alway turn up for free food.

Blake,
    I thought have fun was number 10?

On the topic of having fun - try flipping the bill for a staff lunch every once and awhile.
    Or see if everyone will go out to a local comedy club together.
    If you have staff meetings take them out of the store and hold them over dinner, it doesn't have to be expensive.

OK - I'm done.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Re: mmm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John R
    [B]Well sadly our boss needs to learn a lot about this subject as his idea is that to get anyone to do anything you just need to shout.

John:

I think your boss knows about this subject but in a wrong sense. Shouting can get things done exactly as whipping a good horse. That is the pay off, he is getting results so he has developed this habit. He will do it again and again. He needs your help. Please tell him stop this non-productive method of motivation. Please remember this:
    “You dictate others how they should treat you so they turn around and do it diligently”.
    If you don’t tell them to stop yelling at you they assume this method works. In fact by not telling him to change his behavior you are doing a disservice to him. He will eventually end up suffering from anxiety, anger, depression or even heart attack.
    Here are few tips.

1. Pull him aside, hand him a pen and a paper and tell him this, in a very low tone, “ Could you please write it down for me whatever it was you wanted to express? Shouting makes me nervous and forgetful, you know”! Then zip up your mouth for no less than 45 seconds, smoke will settle down. He will cool down, otherwise leave the scene and get back to work.
    2. Idealistically wait until he regains his cool; bring him lemonade or any non-caffeine drink. Talk to him about something far from the problem topic for at least three to five minutes. Now you are well connected and have built some trust and respect for each other. Sit or stand with a confident posture, using a moderate tone with clear voice say these words exactly as I am telling you. “ Mr. Jones (or the first name whichever you are comfortable using it at that moment) I feel the same way you felt about this (name the cause of yelling) issue, however I have given some sound thought to this and have found a couple of options.
    a. Let’s team up, synergies and brainstorm the issue, we will certainly reach a long lasting solution for this.
    b. You keep on doing what you are doing (yelling) and we will keep on doing what we are doing (ignoring your yelling).

Thanks
    sam hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I've been through many of the corporate "management training"
    programs. All have had good advice on motivation and increasing
    productivity.

The one common sense thing that serves me best is what I was
    told when I became a sergeant in the Air Force: "Praise in public,
    criticize in private".

Many owners, especially Doctors act like giving a little praise for
    hard work takes something away from them!

Most of the people who I've worked with will bend over backward
    to help and improve with just an occasional sincere compliment
    on something they've done well. What an easy thing to do!

On the other hand, one critical statement in front of co-workers
    that diminishes their self-esteem will guarantee poor performance.

Why is this so difficult for some people to realize?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think the key to building teamwork is to reinforce the value of everyone on the team... I try to look for what each person brings to the table, and make sure that everyone on the team understands the value of each person's unique skills and contributions.

People need to feel like they belong to something (or have a vested interest in it, anyway) before they'll really commit themselves to it. Its important that each person be able to build a little of themselves into projects or the atmosphere in general. A workplace is the sum of the people who work there. Take away the people, and you have no business.

To use an old cliche, "there is no 'I' in 'team.'" We don't live in a perfect world, and people don't always get along... but its in everyone's best interest to work with the people they spend 40+ hours a week with- not against!

Pete
    PS- If you have to raise your voice, you've already lost the argument...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin
    If you have to raise your voice, you've already lost the argument... [/B]
    Pete

Pete:

Just in one sentence you have said a lot.
    Thanks
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Wink I may be in love with you!

I believe I've heard of you through my daughter: very pretty blonde (okay, I'm her Mom, maybe not objective) Charmant rep for Hugo, Kors, Roth etc, formerly Chanel. If so, she thought very highly of you. She recently left the industry but if you do not receive a rep response to this, let me know and I will put you in touch with her.Thanks for your thought provoking questions. In the course of our search for profitability, we too often forget it comes down to one person, selling one set of glasses or contacts at a time. I agree with your no motivation, no results concept. Actually not a concept, reality. To put it down in an elaboration of base tactics let's include no goal, no instruction, no deadline, no follow-up, no accountabilty, no recognition: no results. As the veteran of graduate programs in management and several corporations worth of leadership CE courses, not to mention I've written a few, the best mentor I've ever known is my military guy now defense contractor husband. He taught me to lead the individual and not the masses. He believes that in the art of management, there truly are no new proven techniques, just new buzz words and ways of rephrasing said techniques. I think this is probably kinda Tom Peters..esc. Encourage the heart. Fear (see the fine gentleman referring to the shouting technique of his boss) is an excellent short term motivator. So is money. If you truly want to motivate for the long term...create self worth. This comes through knowing your team as individuals, verbal recognition, fostering respect amongst peers, subordinates and superiors and encouraging a "shared vision" . And I really hate to use those terms, but, it's late and I'm brain dead. Why I hate terms that denote higharchy is because one of the ways I motivate is by expressing through words and actions that we are all equal; but by nature of positions some of us may have more authority than others. However, we are all essential to the ultimate goal of providing improved vision to our external customer and a variety of needs to the internal. I like the ideas I saw earlier about group outings, etc. I believe in using either group or individual events as a reward/ recognition. The group is great because it creates teamwork,. The individual reward is also useful because properly done, it creates healthy internal competition. I always believe in a prize that is an event or special object ( do not read into this generic gift sent out to one and all) rather than monetary. Why? Because all to often, money will be deposited into checking and go toward bills, groceries or other needs. Reward with an event or special token and you create a memory that lasts longer than a check. And now that I've rambled on forever, I concur with the previous posts. Praise quickly and publicly. Approach disapproval with caution, firm dignity and in private.
    Last edited by LaurieC; 05-25-2001 at 02:52 AM.

OptiBoard Novice

Smilie

The best way to build unity is to treat everyone with respect. Try to put yourself in their shoes and be open minded. Share knowledge when possible and lend a hand even if its not your job.
    Having a sense of humor and using it!Sometimes we take our selves too seriously in management.Here are some excerpts from my new book "Bad Management 101":

Some bosses think if they give praise it will cost them money.You will suddenly realize your value to the company and ask for more money. If you are constantly criticized you will feel lucky to still have a job!

Divide and Conquer- Another boss technique used to pit staff against one another and create mistrust. If staff unity occurs you might actually realize you have grievances with your boss. Horrors!You might actually all get together to lobby for improved conditions. But if I(boss) keep you fighting amongst yourselves..

Do As I Say/ Always Right- Another technique favored by bad bosses everywhere. To all aspiring bosses:"Remember you are never wrong! If actually caught doing something stupid or making a bad mistake, raise your voice and assert your authority"
    Never apologize!Apologizing means admitting you were wrong.

Highest Paid- Convince every member of the staff(if possible) that they are the highest paid.Very effective at raise time! Little chance of being caught since people don't discuss salary information.

Not in Writing/Bad Memory- Don't put anything in writing! If youve promised something to an employee and later realized it will cost you money this is often effective. Can be used in conjunction with the Never Happened technique.

Sadly,I have actually seen all of these techniques used.So I am convinced there must be a handbook somewhere.Luckily there are many more nice bosses out there.;)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The above would be so cute if it wasn't unfortunately true too often.

Bad address email on file Susan Henault's Avatar
    One of the most effective ways to motivate an employee is to make them feel like an "insider". Most individuals will work harder for less money when they believe that they enjoy this elusive status!

Involving staff members in making decisions that directly affect them, is the best way to motivate employees to accept change.

An environment that encourages creative problem solving or thinking outside of the box and rewards employees for sharing ideas that improve the workplace is powerful also.

Set expectations for your employees to take the initiative when problem solving. Tell them if they must come to you with a problem, to be prepared to offer at least 3 possible suggestions for solving that problem. When you USE one of their ideas to resolve the matter -- once again they feel like an "insider" -- an important member of the work team who's opinion counts.

Lastly, always endeavor to back your people up! If a subordinate makes a mistake -- take responsibility for the mistake. If the situation permits, say that they were acting on your directive. Once you have taken the heat on their behalf, they will be more than willing to talk about what they could have done better. I learned that lesson (the hard way) from Steve Machol, one of the most awesome managers I have ever known. It fosters immense LOYALTY, making employees WANT to do a great job for you!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Great Posts Laurie:

Laurie:
    Great post Laurie: Keep up the good work.
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Redhot Jumper

Sam, thanks for a great topic, some great thoughts are presented. I think that it helps to understand that all of our staff want to do their best for our clientele, and they need to know that our clients pay the bills, not me! So, if they can do their best to see to it that our clients get the very best care and service, that's the bottom line. I've had very few staff changes in 25 years. and now the most challenging staff members are my sons. sort of a double edged sword. really a great experience though. One thing that has always been important is to be caring and empathetic to the fact that staff members have a life and famililies outside of work. our staff(including my sons) know how much they can count on my support with anything that helps their quality of life. So, we don't work evenings, nor Sundays. We socialize a lot together, have lunches in, usually. we spend a lot of time together, so we try to enjoy it!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Al
    [We socialize a lot together, have lunches in, usually. we spend a lot of time together, so we try to enjoy it! [/B]
    Al:
    Thanks for sharing your secrets, these are old but they work. And yes this topic should be on there for some time. This is something small businesses can use it for survival in this corporate dominated wilderness.
    Sam Hamadani

my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Susan Henault
    One of the most effective ways to motivate an employee is to make them feel like an "insider". Most individuals will work harder for less money when they believe that they enjoy this elusive status!

Involving staff members in making decisions that directly affect them, is the best way to motivate employees to accept change.

An environment that encourages creative problem solving or thinking outside of the box and rewards employees for sharing ideas that improve the workplace is powerful also.

Set expectations for your employees to take the initiative when problem solving. Tell them if they must come to you with a problem, to be prepared to offer at least 3 possible suggestions for solving that problem. When you USE one of their ideas to resolve the matter -- once again they feel like an "insider" -- an important member of the work team who's opinion counts.

Lastly, always endeavor to back your people up! If a subordinate makes a mistake -- take responsibility for the mistake. If the situation permits, say that they were acting on your directive. Once you have taken the heat on their behalf, they will be more than willing to talk about what they could have done better. I learned that lesson (the hard way) from Steve Machol, one of the most awesome managers I have ever known. It fosters immense LOYALTY, making employees WANT to do a great job for you!
    Susan:
    You have touched on some very important points here. The number one reason for people to not produce, quit or even get fired for, is this "insider" thing. Both the parties, employers and the employees are equally responsible for it. Neither the employer should hire someone who can't be part of the business nor the employee should get in to some company where he/she can't fit into the matrix. It takes only one non-compatible person (employer or employee) to disrupt the whole team. And let me add this fact to this thread “ the number one reason for small business failure is its inability to hold the unity of its team. Almost 99 % of individual potential is depleted because of the disharmony. However potential can be increased to manifold just by adding synergy in diversity.
    “Two individuals are just two individuals, but a team of two persons is lot stronger than an army of 11 people”.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Thread Information