Thread: Eagle Vision ?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Eagle Vision ?

Can some one from Vision works or ECCA tell me what Eagle Vision or EV4.0 lenses are? thanks John Z.
    John Zimmerman
    Sales Manager
    Tri-City Optical Laboratory

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not work for the mentioned companies, but may have a lead on the lens series. I believe they were made by a company called Melibrad. They were a line of polarized lenses. One of the lines was a melanin based tint/polarized lens. Hope this is correct and what you were looking for.
    Last edited by Fezz; 11-13-2006 at 02:06 PM. Reason: addition

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Resolution

At first I thought it was Trivex based on the advertisements. I asked the manager at one of the ECCAs. What she described to me was Resolution poly, but she never used that name. I'm sure she didn't know exactly WHAT they were selling. She described an aspheric/atoric poly lens that was made differently to reduce abberations and was thinner. And I believe that they were offering this upgrade on FT's and Progressives too.

The company goal is 40% of all sales, but they were only at 25% at her shop. They mention it to everyone, but really push it for higher cyls.
    The upgrade charge was somewhere between $40-$55, I believe.

Someone from ECCA tell me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

Guess I'm just screwing myself; I only charge $30 for an aspheric AND thin center upgrade. And of course I don't charge that on a progressive, that would just be wrong.

"Eagle Vision" available in poly. That ought to get you purists' panties in a wad.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    EV 4.0 is Trivex.

(I do work for ECCA).

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree EV 4.0 is Trivex. I worked for ECCA when they rolled it out.

Thomad

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I, too, work for ECCA. We also have a new AR rolling out with the name Eagle Vision... I hate marketing....

And when I say new, I mean new for us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was wrong

Thanks for correcting me. I must have been wrong about the material. This manager that I talked to didn't really understand what she was selling, but she new the marketing language. Could I ask what the upgrade charge is over poly?
    Do you ECCA guys claim it will be thinner?
    Do you claim that it has better optics?
    I'm not going to critisize whatever answer you give, I would just like to know more about the marketing behind it.
    Thanks.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only say that it will be thinner in plus lenses, and I talk about vision only to those with a good about of astigmatism. I do say that it is lighter for most Rxs, though.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I definitely do not sell it as thinner- because it is not. It is marketed as a "high definition" lens, in comparison to poly- which is what we sell the most of. It has a strange base curve chart that requires splitting bases and the amount of cylinder in a Rx will determine if it is single or double aspheric. Material wise, I do like it in drill mounts, and it looks good with plus prescriptions. But, I can't put anything higher than +6.00 in this lens, so aspheric poly takes the lions share of high plus prescriptions. It has a $50 upcharge over poly.

Also, the AR mentioned above is not EV, but EVDC, which is a Crizal-type hard coat that is now available to us. It carries a $45 upcharge over standard AR- but can only be used with poly and trivex- no transitions, hi or mid index or CR39.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

I also work for ECCA

EV4.0 is, as mentioned, Trivex. According to the documentation, it's 15% lighter than poly, it can be cut thinner, but the difference , if you held 2 identicle Rxs side-by-side, is negligible. It's EXTREMELY impact resistant. (I have taken hammers to them on a tile floor and it barely dents. This material is also really hard to cut. Our edgers have wheels specifically for trivex, and it can still take up to 5 minutes to edge a pair of lenses with a....say -5.00 Rx. REALLY hard material. And DEAR GOD do they smoke!!!The optic quality of this material is about what you can expect to see through glass lenses, but there is no distortion, or "fishbowl effect" on the edges. As far as I know, they only come in single vision and progressive, no polarized or transition as yet. Trivex is an amazing material, and if you can afford it, I would highly recommend it. (Not plugging here...honest)

EVDC (Eagle Vision Diamond Coat) is an anti-reflective coating that' is a lot like Crizal. It's a lot more scratch resistant and it's a lot easier to clean than regular A/R coating. As I understand it (keep in mind that I'm a lab rat, not a sales person) EVDC is guaranteed not to scratch for the life of the Rx...so, 2 years in most cases. The down side to this stuff: (if you work in the lab) this coating is very nearly non-stick, which is a problem when you use leap pads for edging. but there is a coating put on them to help with this problem. (yes, there is a coating, on the coating) If you were to, say, mark them up wrong and clean it with anything other than a dry colth, good luck getting the leap pads to stay securly in place.

~The Mighty Mutt

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trivex also takes about 15 minutes per lens to generate. Honestly, I'm not too thrilled with the intermediate area in the progressives, but I love the single vision lenses.

One thing about DiamondCoat that I'm not all that happy with is that it is visibly much more reflective than our normal AR. It does look better because it has the gold color rather than the green, but it is much more noticable. So much so that I have actually had to change the way that I sell it, actually. I wear glasses and normally hold a pair of regular lenses up to next to mine while discussing AR to show them the difference, but that difference isn'tas noticable as with the regular AR. So now I'm back to keeping a regular AR lens in my jacket pocket.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Would anyone be interested in telling me how the decentration works for the ev 4.0 lenses....is there a cut of point to decentration? I have heard that its something like 8mm from the patients pd....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

EV decentration

It's not really any different from regular single vision material. The EV literature, or maybe it was the rep, says that it's important to take an OC measurement with the PD. But our retail people constantly forget to do this and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, unless the patient wears their glasses very low.

If your lab uses a manual surface blocker, the line on the double aspheric lenses should be on the 180' axis.

~Rob

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr Mutt,

Can I ask what you know about the progressive? THere aren't many progressives out there in Trivex. There is the Image, Minuo, Kodak products, and Hoya stuff. What are you guys using?

Is the Eagle vision SV an aspheric or double aspheric (atoric?) lens. Is it a Younger product?

Thanks for the info.

I love Trivex myself, I have SV, Trans V, and progressives all in Trivex, I only have one pair of poly lenes left, out of 7 pairs.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Mutt View Post
    It's not really any different from regular single vision material. The EV literature, or maybe it was the rep, says that it's important to take an OC measurement with the PD. But our retail people constantly forget to do this and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, unless the patient wears their glasses very low.

If your lab uses a manual surface blocker, the line on the double aspheric lenses should be on the 180' axis.

~Rob
    Well, I know we forget to take OC heights however, my concern is about the decentration....our lab does the cutoff at 4 on both eyes.....total of 8. Noone ever told me or the other retail people....but i did some research on it and found out that it affects their vision if the decentration is more than 4.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been playing with Augen Trivex lenses (the EV 4.0s here at ECCA) and have come to the conclusion that the decentration is more about aestetics than it really is about vision. We're running this as our lightest lens (which, it can be) and when it is more than 4mm decentered it isn't always as thin as poly. I have yet to have anyone complain about the optics on it, even though I may decenter it quite a bit on people that we can't fit very easily. However, if you throw a -6.00 in it with decentration bad decentration... looks horrible. Also, we're finding that, even though they claim you have to stick 100% by the BC chart, you can fudge the BCs a bit to help with aesthetics and it wont hinder the optics.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Mr Mutt,

Can I ask what you know about the progressive? THere aren't many progressives out there in Trivex. There is the Image, Minuo, Kodak products, and Hoya stuff. What are you guys using?

Is the Eagle vision SV an aspheric or double aspheric (atoric?) lens. Is it a Younger product?

Thanks for the info.

I love Trivex myself, I have SV, Trans V, and progressives all in Trivex, I only have one pair of poly lenes left, out of 7 pairs.
    Currently we are using the Augen/Trinity SV and Progressive. No complaints so far, except that the progressives can be a real pain to find the markings, especially after a tint or non glare coating has been put on it. SV lenses are available in aspheric or double aspheric. Which one you use is determined by the patient's astigmatism. We also use aspheric finished SV lenses made by HOYA. Only problem we have with those is that they are non tintable, unless we apply the UVNV coating prior to edging them.

Unfortunately we don't have much available to us from our warehouse in the way of Trivex. We were just recently given the option of ordering FT28 in EV. That and EV progressives have been big sellers in our store lately. Here is a link that list some of the Trivex manufacturers, options and whatnot. http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NR/rd...March07_2_.pdf
    Last edited by The Mighty Mutt; 08-06-2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Been playing with Augen Trivex lenses (the EV 4.0s here at ECCA) and have come to the conclusion that the decentration is more about aestetics than it really is about vision. We're running this as our lightest lens (which, it can be) and when it is more than 4mm decentered it isn't always as thin as poly. I have yet to have anyone complain about the optics on it, even though I may decenter it quite a bit on people that we can't fit very easily. However, if you throw a -6.00 in it with decentration bad decentration... looks horrible. Also, we're finding that, even though they claim you have to stick 100% by the BC chart, you can fudge the BCs a bit to help with aesthetics and it wont hinder the optics.
    Thanks man...that really helped...the only thing I hate is that we dont have ev ft28 in stock...patient gotta wait like 2 weeks inorer to get them....i had ev with regular AR as one of my pair....the only thing I dont like is that I see the lights at night vertical streaks....i dont know how to explain...and the evdc ar..is too gold n green...and we did it on one of the drill-mounts...the lens looked dull with that evdc coating..patient returned them and went back to regular ar....thats sucks...but the evdc is a good coating however I dont like it for look wise.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mighty Mutt,

Thanks for the link to the Trivex availability chart. Very useful :)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Mighty Mutt,

Thanks for the link to the Trivex availability chart. Very useful :)
    Andrew,
    Did you notice that Hoya makes stock Phoenix w/ Hi-Vision w/ViewProtect? I know it's not as good as SUper Hi, but it's as good as Alize, IMO. I'll have to admit, I don't think the last Hoya Phoenix I ordered have the Viewprotect, but the chart says it's available.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly I like the EVDC for the hydrophobic coat more than anything. It does look different, but if you tell the patient "gold looks better than green" they love it and you. I've actually sold EVDC to quite a few patients simply because they didn't like the green color and did like gold. Go figure. The one thing that I do not like about the FT28s is that they aren't aspheric (at least here at ECCA) so it negates the best benefit to a core group of patients (high plusses aren't insanely thin anymore).

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Honestly I like the EVDC for the hydrophobic coat more than anything. It does look different, but if you tell the patient "gold looks better than green" they love it and you. I've actually sold EVDC to quite a few patients simply because they didn't like the green color and did like gold. Go figure. The one thing that I do not like about the FT28s is that they aren't aspheric (at least here at ECCA) so it negates the best benefit to a core group of patients (high plusses aren't insanely thin anymore).
    I have sold evdc alot also compare to the regular ar...becuase some previous patients had hard time with regular ar being smudging....n peeling off with like 60 days or 90 days....i havent had patients who have evdc coating come back...so which is good....its just the color I feel that I wont like it...patients like it...some atleast. I dont have any pair right now which has evdc coating in it...maybe soon I will try it to see how it is. what I do like is ev lenses for high plus prescriptions...compare to high minus..the edges are not goood as poly comes out....but for higher astigmatism I prefer ev's. I just had like couple patients who cant get used to ev lenses and we gotta switch them back to poly.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Suspect this a new product to sucker in all those who bought Eagle vision I from TV adds and found them not to be as good as claimed. Now in line for a new or the same suckers to get the "new perfected" version.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ev 4.0

Yeah Eagle vision is trivex. i currently work for ECCA. :hammer:
    Trapped in the world of optics. :hammer:

Thread Information