Thread: Protective Eyewear Required by Law?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Protective Eyewear Required by Law?

Hey guys,
    My rec specs rep just told me that they passed a new law in PA, soon to be everywhere, that kids participating in sports during, after, or affiliated with school who wear either contacts or glasses are required by law to wear eye protection.
    Have you heard anything about this? Does it really apply to people who need vision correction only (kids with 20/20 have eyes too!)? Is it likely to become a nationwide law?
    TIA!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in PA and have not heard of the law. I know that the idea has been kicked around. Hopefully someone in the know will post. I am interested to see the details.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, my bad, it's New Jersey that passed the new law. It is supposedly expected to go nationwide.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Just this year, the state of New Jersey passed a bill to protect children’s eyes in sports (New Jersey State Assembly Bill A-2091/State Senate Bill 1970). The law now states that any child who wears corrective glasses and participates in any school, community or government-sponsored sports programs, will be required to wear protective eyewear meeting ASTM standards. The law also provides grants to low-income families to help offset the costs of purchasing the equipment."
    Prevent Blindness America

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, I found the info. If you're interested, the details are explained here:
    http://www.yandyam.com/YM/sports_sta...ml#childSafety

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know PA has a child helmet law on the books. I think it's anyone under the age of 16.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't get your hopes up. The FDA or OSHA passed something like this for dentists a few years ago. I put quite a few types of "protective eyewear", sold two. I have a lot of dentists as patients, when I asked them or tried to sell them on this, they replied: "I'd like to see the damn government tell me what I can do in my own office."
    But perhaps this would apply only in the South.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That same bill flopped horribly in MD earlier this summer. I gave a presentation to the doctors in the pediatric practicve I worked about sports googles which was used in by my doctor in the house. I will post it when I find it.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip, send some Southern sense our way!!

Well, they all but outlawed smoking in Ohio yesterday, and I'm furious. I quit smoking when I was 13 yrs old (don't ask), I don't smoke now, nor do I intend to ever start. I'm just sick and tired of being told what to do by the gov't. everyday, everywhere, and everyhow!!:angry:

If parents aren't smart enough to put glasses, helmets, car seats, bibs, diapers, chapstick, or whatever on their kids, WHO CARES ???!!!! Let them live (or not) with the consequences. The parents are smart enough to figure out how to program their TVs, stereos, send cellphone pics around the world, and who knows what all...they don't know that you should wear safety glasses when someone's trying to bean your kid with a 75mph fastball ??!!!

Sheez!!! Give me a break!!!!!

There....

Now I feel much better.
    Last edited by Johns; 11-08-2006 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spilling arrows

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great post Johns!

My feelings exactly:bbg:

LoL-The bit about the chapstick was great!

:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Johns;164050]Well, they all but outlawed smoking in Ohio yesterday, and I'm furious. I quit smoking when I was 13 yrs old (don't ask), I don't smoke now, nor do I intend to ever start. I'm just sick and tired of being told what to do by the gov't. everyday, everywhere, and everyhow!!:angry:

That's right....no smoking in any public place in the state of Ohio.

Pretty soon, they're going to start telling people what they can and cannot do in their own homes as well. It is getting to be ridiculous.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To me, smoking is an entirely different matter because it doesn't just effect the smoker, it effects each and everyone one of us, whether by the cost of their medical expenses and the impact of the second hand smoke.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    To me, smoking is an entirely different matter because it doesn't just effect the smoker, it effects each and everyone one of us, whether by the cost of their medical expenses and the impact of the second hand smoke.

I have no problem avoiding second hand smoke, nor letting a restaurant know when they've lost my business due to their allowing smoking.

Let the market dictate.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, mauve. It's ugly, it gives me a headache, and it makes people look fat. When are they going to outlaw mauve??!!!

Or should I just avoid it ?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I have no problem avoiding second hand smoke, nor letting a restaurant know when they've lost my business due to their allowing smoking.

Let the market dictate.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, mauve. It's ugly, it gives me a headache, and it makes people look fat. When are they going to outlaw mauve??!!!

When did mauve start causing cancer?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Let the market dictate.

What the heck are you talking about? I wish I could post a picture of what I'm wearing right now...yes, it's mauve, and it looks great. Let's start a fashion debate: who likes mauve??:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

safety

Did no one pick up on the fact, that you and i the taxpayers will be funding these safety glasses, it did say gov. grants, sad part is, most of the chains sell rec specs complete with poly lenses for about 79.00, and you would not believe how hard that was to sell at times, i used to ask the parents if they have ever seen a kid with a nose pad in the corner of his eye afer getting hit with a hardball.

even the frame companies sometimes do not help, i was at a vision expo, where there was a booth promoting rawlings eyewear, and kind of indicating great glasses for the sports minded kid. When i mentioned to the reps that this was the worst thing any kid playing sports could wear he got mad.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry, you're right. The grants will be provided for folks who cannot afford the protection. Sadly, I've had the same reaction from parents when trying to sell RecSpecs. I swear, I just don't see why $80 is too much to prevent the potential for BLINDNESS!!
    (But if I were making the laws, it would also be illegal to have nose cheese, and AR would be required on all glasses, especially those sold to folks who walk in and immediately complain of eye-strain on the computer!)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    even the frame companies sometimes do not help, i was at a vision expo, where there was a booth promoting rawlings eyewear, and kind of indicating great glasses for the sports minded kid. When i mentioned to the reps that this was the worst thing any kid playing sports could wear he got mad.
    Harry,

I brought this up on this board about 2 years ago, and was almost tarred and feathered. The point of purch material even shows a kid with a baseball mitt, and another w/ a whole baseball team, and he's wearing these Rawlings dress glasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Sure.......

Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Harry, you're right. The grants will be provided for folks who cannot afford the protection.
    And what percentage of those parents will be selling their food stamps at 50% value in cash so they can buy cigs and booze for themselves, all along wining boo-hoo we can't afford glasses for our kids! At the risk of being labelled a meanie(or other things), here in Mexico, oops, I mean Southern California, we pay huge amounts of money to support people who shouldn't be supported. What's a few more bucks for glasses, huh?? Chris..

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It's funny how the same people who complain about the high price of Rec Specs, are usually dressed from head to toe in name brand clothing. $100 Nike Sneakers, $300 Coach Purse, $90 Sean John Jeans, but Rec Specs wow how unaffordable those are.

Opticians should be lined up and shot for the ridiculous pricing of those $79.00 Rec Specs. :hammer:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simple:

RecSpecs is not a designer name. Now if they were Giogio Armani, or Ralph Lauren, Sport specs. Then you could get $250.00.
    Fashion doesn't and never has made sense, just sales.

Just think what we could get for Lexus, or Mercedes Outdoor!

But then J.C. Penny Formost Jeans @ $4.00 a pair were the best fitting (I have no behind) and most comfortable, best made I ever had.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    (I have no behind)
    There's no need to brag...:finger:

:bbg:

Thread Information