Thread: Operation Desert Storm Forcast 1999

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Operation Desert Storm Forcast 1999

How many read this over the last several days? Associated Press release regarding war games exercise Pre Bush.....

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB207/index.htm

The country is due for a change.

What a bunch of banana's we have running this country. Analytical skills, reading, writing and arithmetic are went right out of the window.

Hope we dump Santorum here in PA. Too bad Specter isn't on this list this year, also. At a meeting this summer on Medicare part D, he evicted a coworker of mine from a small time meeting who asked "Where he believes seniors struggling can afford the $3K upfront money before the benefit kicks in?" He also only took 18 questions.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman View Post
    What a bunch of banana's we have running this country. Analytical skills, reading, writing and arithmetic are went right out of the window.
    Are you part of the solution - or part of the problem?
    :D

Very interesting read that you posted - thank you.

I haven't finished it yet.

It's an online world. Are you there yet?
    Last edited by rinselberg; 11-07-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

"There was consensus that the United States would not intervene without coalition support except under the most dire circumstances such as WMD use or catastrophic humanitarian disaster." -- Desert Crossing After Action Report, 1999.

In a Q&A after the speech, [Zinni] declared that while it was necessary to deal with Saddam Hussein "eventually," ...

Source: Post-Saddam Iraq: The War Game

Obviously there was worldwide concern that Saddam was in the process or on the brink of WMD. Even if all they had was a single test tube of a disease causing agent or a limited nerve gas capability - even with the crudest methods of inflicting it on a target ...

A related concern, which was very much under discussion at the United Nations during the period before Operation Iraqi Freedom, was that Saddam would set up the conditions for widespread humanitarian disaster in Iraq as a deterrent against regime change - and to protect the WMD capabilities that it seemed that he might well have or be on the brink of. He had the capability of sabotaging the oil fields (as he had done in Kuwait), blowing up damns to flood populated regions in Iraq, destroying whatever reserve or emergency food stores existed, commiting widespread sabotage of Iraq's electrical, water and sanitation facilities (such as they were) ... all actions that it was feared that Saddam could threaten to undertake when the "eventual" decision (and I quote that word from Zinni himself - above) to deal with his regime would become even more urgent. Holding the general Iraqi population as hostages to try to deter an international intervention - or to try to frustate its success or even just as a final act of revenge - all that would seem to be in line with Saddam's history. So I think the preemptive character of Operation Iraqi Freedom was very much in order.

As to the number of troops that were required - I am certainly less inclined to argue about that. It may be that as more time elapses, the Rumsfeld legacy at DoD will be permanently tarnished by what will finally be seen as a tactical blunder with strategic implications. A POV that many have already come around to.

I think that the mission of fostering a "new pluralistic Iraqi government which [includes] nationalist leaders ..." (I quote from the Desert Crossing report) is being accomplished and will finally succeed - but to say that the road could not have been better paved and at less human cost - that I will not categorically deny. Perhaps it was not so much a case of not having enough military "boots on the ground" as it was an initial ineptness in planning and executing the civil reconstruction efforts that contributed to the current and tragic situation in the central region of Iraq, around Baghdad, and to a somewhat lesser degree, the south (Basra).

But don't overlook the Kurdish region in the north: "The Other Iraq".

That's rinselberg - thanks for being part of it.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 11-06-2006 at 01:46 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=rinselberg;163628]Are you part of the solution - or part of the problem?
    :D

I am part of the solution...I make informed educated decisions. That includes reading and analyzing data before making a decision. It is better than shooting from the hip or living in a fantasy world where we can push the blame to Osama bin Laden as an excuse for going after Saddam.

I should have said.....Apparently, our illustrious President and his cronies lack these skills and led this country into something that can't be won. They have done it without regard to data. There were no weapons of mass destruction.

It is time for new parties with individuals not influenced by big money and 2 time term limits.
    :bbg:

Thread Information