Thread: IC! Berlin?

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

IC! Berlin?

Has anyone done any IC berlin frames in a high rx?
    Our rep sent me one and I love their stuff, but I am concerned with how my -7.50 will look. I have only done low rx's in them so far.

Maybe 1.74??

If you havent heard of them, they are great frames made of sheet metal, with no screws. They have a tension hinge, The eyewire sits in a grooved lens. http://www.Ic-berlin.de
    Nice clean lines...Love the look.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I've done plenty of Ic! Berlin and Mykita in powers around a -8.00. Treat them like you would any semi-rimless or drill mounts. I like to get the edges polished on the shiny stuff and leave a satin finish on the matt stuff. I would avoid using 1.74 as it seems to chip easier than 1.67. I would avoid aspherics and get the lens surfaced on a steeper base curve. If they flatten out to much they can be a pain to bring the temples in. Also whenever possible avoid doing a custom clip-on, if the client is careless the can easily scratch the lenses.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm...I haven't seen the frames you're talking about and the website isn't much help.
    I'm guessing we're talking about an inline?

I will say I've done several 1.74s in drill mts with no problems (this includes the pair on my face. I'm about -6).
    Also, I would be concerned about how your lenses would look if not aspheric, but Jedi has a very valid point about matching the groove to the frame.
    In my experience, putting someone in 1.60, for example, that's not aspheric doesn't make much of a visual improvement over CR-39. It's almost a waste of money. 1.74 is only avail. aspheric, though...
    I guess I don't really have an answer, but since I seem to be one of the few on this board with a posative experience of 1.74, I thought I'd at least throw my two cents in.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have no doubt that 1.74 is a good material to drill, but with the inline metal groove in a flexible frame like Ic! Berlin there is a lot of stress on that groove. Cosmetically speaking the spherical lens shouldn't be too different in edge thickness, even if you steepened the base curve. Their may be some noticeable distortion in the periphery initial with using a spherical lens, so if this was a for a client I would clearly explain what I was doing and why. No one likes surprises. The other thing I do like with Ic! Berlin is some of the thickness is put in front of the frame and it can "mask" the appearance of thicker lenses.

Btw, which frame and colour did you get. I've been wearing the Prentis in Copper, and I have two sets of lenses for them. 1 clear and 1 sunglass.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I saw a -7.50 in a Mykita (similar concept to i.c.berlin, former partner) and it was in a 1.64 with alot of the lens thickness masked at the front like Jedi said. it wasn't one of the larger models but it looked great. Very well done. Just go for it.

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the input; Jedi, I got the Tina in Chrome. Fairly small, small enough to cut down on thickness hopefully. I just dont want to take away from the simplicity and beauty of the frame with thick lenses....
    I love their frames, we met with them at VEW, the designer is an interesting fellow....

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Great frame choice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey everyone. Long time, no speak. I am going to be edging a POF ic berlin this afternoon. It will be my first pair done here. What should the groove size be? I'm guess similar to a lindberg, but I don't want to spoil a lens cutting for this patient. She's already had way too many redos.

THANKS!
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Thread Information