Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a Optiboard member-really?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What is a Optiboard member-really?

Some things really hit me today that got me thinking quite a bit about Optiboard and why I even bother coming here. I have reached a bit of an epiphany of sorts. I keep coming back because Optiboard is so damn good and it gives me a platform to reach out to and learn from people who are basically like me! Think about it. It is now 11:00 pm Tuesday. Here I sit typing away and reading posts. I was reading and typing away at various times since 5:30 this morning. Why? Because I crave the knowledge and experience that we all have to share.

There is a core group that does almost the same thing everyday as I do.
    Why?
    What drives you, me to post and reply and read like we do here?
    Why do we come back after the sarcastic remarks, or the timid name calling or the overall disagreements?
    What draws each and everyone of you here everyday? I am not speaking of the low post counters that post get there advice or questions answered and move on. I am speaking of the ones of us who are here day in day out, posting, sharing, bickering, agreeing and communicating.
    I thank each and everyone for the contributions that keep me coming back for more.

So my question is..What or who is a Optiboard member-Really?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I love this site! The first reason is simple. I think people who have a real dedication to this field are rare. So rare that often many of us have never met face to face. This forum gives us a place were people from accross the US and the world can meet and discuss with this single thing in common. It is a community and a family. We fight and fuss about everything but whens the last time you were at a big family dinner and that didn't happen. I'm sure that there is a second and even third reason but I'm giving myself a halloween treat of BEER! and can't remeber them right now. All I know is that Optiboard has really changed my life. I even posted while my wife and I were in the hospital with our second child!! I would really love to see a well thought out thread were members discuss how Optiboard has changed thier lives.

And as to what I fell makes an Optiboard member a member....first I would say time. Every so often we get people who swoop in and post comments to 30 threads, some even three years old, with out really contributing then dissapear then suddenly reappear months latter and do it again are really missing the experience. The second would be to withstand your first attack. Every one who has been here for an extended period has been trash talked. I think if you have been a contributing member for an extended period of time and tried to make your self a member of this community you could call your self a 'member'. But I've only been here for a little more than a year. Who am I to say anything, I've only contributed a small percentage compaired to some of the older members, they should be the ones answering this. They are the ones who made Optiboard what it is.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Partly because we're not your average 9 - 5 opticians. To the vast majority of people in this industry, going to work in the morning, going home at night, and collecting that white envelope every two weeks is all they need and want out of their occupations. We, however, are a different breed. Not only do I lurk on optiboard, but I'm heavily involved in the industry outside of working hours. I imagine many of us here can say the same thing.

Also, in some twisted and perverse way, we're drawn together. We understand each other, rather like an old couple married for 50 years; we bicker, we disagree, we laugh, we make jokes, poke fun, we gain knowledge and insight. We defend each other when an 'outsider' makes untoward comments about or to one of our own. We have a place to 'vent' with some compassionate wisdom usually forthcoming. We've 'been there, done that', or, 'hey, I have a suggestion'.

We're all in it together.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Since I have found this site I can't tell you guys the number of times I have quoted myself saying "Well doc, this professional forum I'm a member of reviewed ----- and...." or "Well doc, I was looking for ________ and found the info on this professional forum I'm a member of..." or "Well doc, I was looking into -------- and I discovered _______ on this professional forum I'm a member of and tried it out and..." or "On Optiboard I just read______" and "There was this heated debate on Optiboard and.......!!!!! What do YOU think????"""

This forum has made me a better optician because it has influenced me to become more objective and informed about my profession and the industry at large. I have made great friends and network associates as well. I have access to the likes of D. Meister, Awtech, Grub, Chip, Chris 1 and 2, The girls Jub, Jud, Di and the rest (go alla you sista's!)

I just hope in some way I contribute as much as I benefit, it is a privilege to be a part of something like this.

Thanks Steve! I love ya man, but you ain't gettin' my beer! So if I forgot anybody, well - :cheers:

LOL! (Yeah - I did the Halloween cocktail, too!)
    Last edited by optigrrl; 11-01-2006 at 01:26 AM. Reason: oh yeah, we have spellcheck now!

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

the value

Optiboard is a great place to listen, learn, share and develop some great relationships. I've been a member a little over a year and very much appreciate the opportunity this board has presented. Sometime I agree and sometime I disagree with what others have to say. The real value comes from the process of all of us communicating. I must say thank you very much.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the previous posts hit it on the head. I can only speak for myself, and I actually care about my customers and my job. I think Opticianry is a really awesome job, which requires a very unique combination of skills. However, dealing day in and day out with other people who don't even care to do their job well, much less put some thought into it, leaves me weary. And that's why I come to optiboard. It's like of like having a group of 'elders' to consult with, bounce ideas off of, and remind myself that I'm not insane for loving my job. I also think that it is so rare to find that certain "give a darn" quality in coworkers that many of us share, we probably wouldn't ever encounter each other face to face.

I hope you all enjoyed your beers!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am OPTIBOARD. If we agree or disagree on any given subject, it really doesn't matter. This is a place where like minded opticians come. Like minded in that we care about our chosen profession and our patients.
    Paul:cheers:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    An Optiboard member is someone who actually cares about his or her profession and wants to improve daily. Optiboard is a place were a person in the optical field can keep up with what is happening, learn different solutions, and understand new things.

I value that much more than someone who gets a Harvard degree, and then only does what he or she is required to do on a daily basis.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It's really nice to read these comments. It's because of all of you that OptiBoard is what it is today, and it's really become exactly what I hoped for when I started it in 1995. Thanks! :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Job Steve!

And thanks again for banning consumers:bbg:

A toast for Steve-job well done!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    It's really nice to read these comments. It's because of all of you that OptiBoard is what it is today, and it's really become exactly what I hoped for when I started it in 1995. Thanks! :)
    What about posting a thread about the history of Optiboard. From how you got the idea and some of the earliest members impression and memories? I think that would be pretty neat.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

I Hear You.....

Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    I think the previous posts hit it on the head. I can only speak for myself, and I actually care about my customers and my job. I think Opticianry is a really awesome job, which requires a very unique combination of skills. However, dealing day in and day out with other people who don't even care to do their job well, much less put some thought into it, leaves me weary. And that's why I come to optiboard. It's like of like having a group of 'elders' to consult with, bounce ideas off of, and remind myself that I'm not insane for loving my job. I also think that it is so rare to find that certain "give a darn" quality in coworkers that many of us share, we probably wouldn't ever encounter each other face to face.

I hope you all enjoyed your beers!:cheers:
    Wow!! Do we all have some things in common or what?? I cannot add to or improve on the posts in this thread however I have to say I can totally identify with the feelings in this post by EyeFitWell. I consider my "membership" in this club vital to maintaining my positive outlook on my career as an Optician. After working for more than 20 years in Opticianry I finally took my ABO last year-(WOO-HOO!), but compared to stumbling onto this board awhile back it's peanuts! I value my time spent reading and posting here "quality time" to say the least.

So, I want to know when do I get my Optiboard Member nametag for my lab coat and hey Steve, how about a low interest Optiboard Mastercard for us huh??? :D You guys, and gals, are the greatest!!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Since I have found this site I can't tell you guys the number of times I have quoted myself saying "Well doc, this professional forum I'm a member of reviewed ----- and...." or "Well doc, I was looking for ________ and found the info on this professional forum I'm a member of..." or "Well doc, I was looking into -------- and I discovered _______ on this professional forum I'm a member of and tried it out and..." or "On Optiboard I just read______" and "There was this heated debate on Optiboard and.......!!!!! What do YOU think????"""

This forum has made me a better optician because it has influenced me to become more objective and informed about my profession and the industry at large. I have made great friends and network associates as well. I have access to the likes of D. Meister, Awtech, Grub, Chip, Chris 1 and 2, The girls Jub, Jud, Di and the rest (go alla you sista's!)

I just hope in some way I contribute as much as I benefit, it is a privilege to be a part of something like this.

Thanks Steve! I love ya man, but you ain't gettin' my beer! So if I forgot anybody, well - :cheers:

LOL! (Yeah - I did the Halloween cocktail, too!)
    First off, thanks for including me on your list of influences, secondly I quote this place daily as well. My doc has even come to ask me, "Go ask your optiboard and find out about ____________" almost every other day.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    So, I want to know when do I get my Optiboard Member nametag for my lab coat and hey Steve, how about a low interest Optiboard Mastercard for us huh??? :D You guys, and gals, are the greatest!!:cheers:
    No MasterCard yet, but check out the OptiBoard Online Store in the Resources forum...:bbg:

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=OPTIDONN;162897] And as to what I fell makes an Optiboard member a member....first I would say time. Every so often we get people who swoop in and post comments to 30 threads, some even three years old, with out really contributing then dissapear then suddenly reappear months latter and do it again are really missing the experience.

I have to admit I am probably guilty of this, when studying for the state board in NC a few years back I stumbled on this site and couldnt stay away I learned more from posts by Pete, Darris, Jeff, Chip, Harry, Diane and of couse Steve just to name a few. Unfortunately I passed the test and I guess I strayed away feeling like I had accomplished my goal and didnt need the site any more. The truth be told I probably need it more now than I did then but it just seems like the day isnt long enough anymore. What has helped is high speed access on the job and a little more freedom there than I have had in the past. So I guess all that to say please forgive me for my neglect of Optiboard :( this is an invaluable resource for those that are willing and able to use it to the fullest. We can only get better if we are willing to share the wealth of information that is Optiboard.
    Mike

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Thanks Judy!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    No MasterCard yet, but check out the OptiBoard Online Store in the Resources forum...:bbg:
    Cooooool! Was I the only one who didn't know we have a store with cool stuff? Check it out if you haven't yet! Thanks again Judy!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The way I see it, Optiboard lets me treat my job as a hobby. Most people get so tired of their jobs that they see it as a necessary evil; I look forward to what else I can learn. The best part is it has a positive impact on my office too. Much better than most CE that I fork out money for.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've gained more knowledge about ophthalmic optics in the last three years than probably any 10+ year period in my optical life. Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge, and helping to keep us pointed in the right direction.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

I found this site when it was. . .

still an Optical Help Wanted board and I have to tell you it is a major part of my continuing education. This is always the first place I come when I'm stumped. Its the first stop I make when I need to vent and its the first place I stop when I want to see what other people have to say. My wife and I took a weeks vacation just to unwind, but I still found myself checking the board everyday.

I think we are like a big family. Some are the relatives that are my favorites and some are the relatives I want to hide in the attic. I have learned from all of you though and for that I am extremely greatful!! Thank you all!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and it's a great place to just screw around too...I love the Conversation forum.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This is a fascinating thread to read.......and it just shows to go you....

That WE are Optiboard. It is what me've made it to be. Its not perfect, but its way out in front of whatever's in second place! I can identify with every single post so far. We are a family, it's become a hobby which teaches us and allows us to approach our work with confidence because we've got the best back up we can have. I really identify with whomever talked about visiting the board on vacation, and whom ever talked about their wife wondering what the attraction to this place was. Fact is we've become friends, mostly, bound to each other by a desire for betterment, or a shoulder to lean on....or an ear to bend. Most of us enjoy a good scrap once in a while........do any of you remember the great Frisbee debate in which I humbled my partner Jo? :bbg: :bbg: (she ain't going to let that one slide...I promise!) Anyway, we're a good group just trying to get better. Carry on....and don't forget to report SPAM!
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have enjoyed all the responses. Lets keep them coming!

Could we consider Optiboard.......our own cyber Cheers?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Norm!!!
    www.opticaljedi.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Woody, grab me a glass wudya....

Thread Information