Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur
Of the 3 "O's", optometry has had the greatest success from a legislative perspective across North America. Optometry is a 'centrist' profession, meaning it provides the widest breadth of diagnostics and treatment modalities for the vast array of ocular anomalies.
You are absolutely correct, and they have gained this wide scope of practice by chipping away at both ends of the profession. Optometry has not only used their legislative powers to grow their scope of practice, but they are always using those same legislative powers to oppose the other O's professions, which they have no business doing. For that reason I will always speak my mind and keep trying to spark a fire to push opticianry forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur
.... and regular ophthalmic consults/assessments help in reducing the risk of eye disease despite what a refractionist might say.
Again right on the money, however pairing refraction with an ophthalmic consult/assesment is not only unnecessary, but archaic. That is an old model that no longer applys, their is a need for refraction seperate from assesments. And refractionists don't to my knowledge doubt that. Try to look at it from the other side of the fence your patients, for whatever reason, your fees are too high, they hate to wait in your office and go through all the rigamarole, they just had their eyes checked a short while ago and just feel they need a slight tweek. I am only touching on the various reasoning behind it.