Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Breaking News in the Great Glasses Court Case

Business owner lied under oath, court told

By Steve Buist
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Oct 26, 2006)
    The man behind southern Ontario's Great Glasses empire was repeatedly portrayed yesterday as a liar incapable of telling the truth during the opening day of a rare contempt case being heard in a Hamilton courtroom.
    Bruce Bergez, of Dundas, is facing a possible fine of at least $4 million if he's found guilty in a civil contempt of court action that has been launched by the College of Optometrists of Ontario.
    The College of Optometrists is alleging that Bergez and the Great Glasses stores have been violating an earlier court decision from 2003 that ordered the chain to comply with Ontario legislation that governs opticians, optometrists and physicians with respect to prescribing and dispensing eye glasses and contact lenses.
    The college alleges that Great Glasses stores are preparing eye glasses and contacts without proper prescriptions from an optometrist or physician, and then dispensing them to customers without the proper supervision of an optician.
    The Great Glasses chain, which has five stores in Hamilton and two in Burlington, is widely known for its "3 for 1" glasses promotion, as well as the offer of a free eye test for customers with no appointment necessary.
    Roy Stephenson, the lawyer representing the College of Optometrists, spent the day attacking dozens of inconsistencies contained in three separate examinations under oath he conducted with Bergez earlier this year as he attempted to uncover how the Great Glasses empire operated.
    The third examination had been ordered by the court with Bergez facing the threat of imprisonment if he didn't answer dozens of questions from the College of Optometrists.
    "(Bergez) lies under oath, he lies in affidavits and I'm going to ask the court to find that he's fabricated documentation," Stephenson said.
    "He's arrogant, he doesn't believe in authority and he's making millions of dollars doing it," Stephenson added.
    Stephenson told Superior Court Justice David Crane that it took three examinations of Bergez and two court orders before he finally got some insight into how money flowed through the Great Glasses' franchises.
    It wasn't until the third examination that Bergez revealed that the owner of Great Glasses' parent company was a "Buster Kafer."
    Stephenson told the court that Buster Kafer didn't actually exist and that the name was simply an amalgamation of Bergez's dog's name, plus his mother's maiden name.
    At one point, Stephenson pointed out that franchise agreements for the Great Glasses locations had all been signed "by Buster Kafer, which is astonishing because I didn't know that dogs could write.
    "I guess this one can," Stephenson added wryly.
    The case continues today.
    sbuist@thespec.com
    905-526-3226

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

the very vext day

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1161899444694

This is from the day after.....and NO decision has been made.
    Last edited by mike.elmes; 10-30-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1161899444694

This is from the day after.....and NO decision has been made.
    Thanks Mike......I am one of the many who are hoping to see justice done in this case.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Thanks Mike......I am one of the many who are hoping to see justice done in this case.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

I would like to suggest that those interested read the judges decision for a different viewpoint of some things:

http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onsc/20...onsc11255.html

http://www.canlii.org/on/cas/onsc/20...onsc11137.html

I am not defending any of the various parties involved only suggesting that to fully understand what is happening may require more research and these are public documents that perhaps will increase each of our knowledges about the issues .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-09-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out the Oh Brother thread for more on the great glasses Debacle.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    More Trouble for Great Glasses

10 Great Glasses sites facing WSIB charges

By Steve Buist
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Nov 1, 2006) The operators of 10 Great Glasses locations throughout the Golden Horseshoe are facing a total of 38 charges laid under the province's Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
    The charges, laid against a variety of individuals and corporations, are related to either failing to register with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board within 10 days of becoming an employer, or failing to file payroll statements with the WSIB.
    The key issue revolves around the remittances employers have to make to WSIB for employees.
    Great Glasses franchises have taken the position that they do not have employees but instead are staffed by independent contractors.
    Eight of the WSIB charges were laid against operators of Great Glasses franchises in Hamilton, Burlington, St. Catharines, Cambridge, Brampton and Thornhill.
    Fifteen of the charges were laid against three corporations that are associated with the three original Great Glasses locations in Hamilton and Burlington and another 15 were laid against Joanne Bergez, who is a director of the three corporations.
    Joanne Bergez is the spouse of Bruce Bergez, the man who built the Great Glasses empire in southern Ontario.
    The Bergezes and the three corporations are facing a possible fine of $5 million if they are found guilty in a separate contempt of court case that was brought by the College of Optometrists. A decision is pending in the contempt case.
    The college is alleging that the Bergezes and the three corporations have been violating an earlier court decision from 2003 that ordered the chain to comply with Ontario legislation that governs opticians, optometrists and physicians.
    The Great Glasses operators indicated through Bruce Bergez that they would not comment on the WSIB charges.
    "They all request that we make no comment at this time, other than to state that each defendant awaits the full trial of the issues in order to utilize the courts to acquit themselves," said Bergez, who is acting as spokesman for the group.
    If convicted under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, the maximum penalty against individuals is a $25,000 fine and up to six months in jail for each charge.
    For corporations, the maximum penalty is a fine of $100,000 per charge.
    sbuist@thespec.com
    905-526-3226

Home | News | Go | Sports | Classified | Contact us | My Subscription | Search

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Interim Suspension

On November 16, 2006, the certificate of registration of Bruce Bergez R.O. C-1192 was suspended by order of the Executive Committee under section 37 of the Health Professions Procedural Code. The suspension is effective immediately and will remain in place until the matter of the allegations of professional misconduct against Mr. Bergez are disposed of by a panel of the Discipline Committee of the College.

From COO

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Interim Suspension

On November 16, 2006, the certificate of registration of Bruce Bergez R.O. C-1192 was suspended by order of the Executive Committee under section 37 of the Health Professions Procedural Code. The suspension is effective immediately and will remain in place until the matter of the allegations of professional misconduct against Mr. Bergez are disposed of by a panel of the Discipline Committee of the College.

From COO
    Is he the only license in the chain...unlikely. I would doubt this does anything to interupt bussiness as usual at Great Glasses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    My understanding is that he is the only license. His mindset is that he can delegate his authority based on his instruction booklet given to each store. Any calls to the chain asking to speak with an optician are deflected.

I agree this will not affect their operation. His license was suspended last year sometime and I don't think it affected the stores.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    My understanding is that he is the only license. His mindset is that he can delegate his authority based on his instruction booklet given to each store. Any calls to the chain asking to speak with an optician are deflected.

I agree this will not affect their operation. His license was suspended last year sometime and I don't think it affected the stores.

If his is the only license , and that license is suspended then does it not follow that the delegation (asuming it was legal )for each store is also now suspended ? If that is the case then each and every store is now in violation . What am I missing here ? Why are the stores operating ? Are the stores still operating ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If his is the only license , and that license is suspended then does it not follow that the delegation (asuming it was legal )for each store is also now suspended ? If that is the case then each and every store is now in violation . What am I missing here ? Why are the stores operating ? Are the stores still operating ?
    There is no trying to make sense of any of what has been allowed to go on with this company. I'm sure they are business as usual until a sherriff paddle locks the doors, which hasn't happened yet.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it stands to reason that, with his license suspended, the delegation is suspended. Delegation is an extension of a license, therefore, no license, no delegation. I guess there are bigger fish to fry first.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry He will appeal

So yes a verdict was laid... but 1 mill? That is pocket change to this guy.
    I was at the court case last month and it took a lot to just sit there.
    I have strong passion for my profession and it really irritates me to see this guy abuse the system. Not to mention the stupid franchise owners who are operating their stores and listen to him. What is this some kind of cult???
    I am trying not to get excited about this because I know he will appeal and when he does we are back to square one. The stores are operating as normal 3 days later - so what did it change??? nothing yet. Feel free to contact me if you would like me to add you to a list for information. I am in contact with the Hamilton Spectator and others for details.
    I have also spoken to insurance companies who will now go after him for insurance fraud.
    Rx's can only be done by an professional for it to qualify for insurance AND a licenced optician can only sign those forms. As of now Bruce Bergez is NOT as optician as his license was revoked.
    :cheers: It's always noon somewhere!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by muucow View Post
    I am trying not to get excited about this because I know he will appeal and when he does we are back to square one.
    He may appeal, but I feel quite surely that the next court of appeal will simply review the transcripts and reject his petition. This is a pretty open and shut matter, in 2003 Burgez was ordered to comply with the RHPA, to my knowledge there has not been an apply to this decision, and now due to his beligerence Mr. Bergez has been found to be in contempt of the original 2003 decision. What is he going to do, try to prove that he has in fact been in compliance with the RHPA for the past three years, three years in which he openly violated the RHPA, claiming to serve the public interest with free eye exams? Even if he managed to single handedly change the scope of practice, as he seems to be telling reporters, he still has a one million dollar fine to pay.

His appeal is not going to get very far, and when it is rejected he has three choices; pay up, serve the time, or go into hidding.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ]]
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-02-2007 at 12:51 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Called myself

Well I took the time to actually call a Great Glasses location today. They are open but admitted to not performing eye exams anymore. I pretended to be a past client and asked if there are opticians in the store at this time. The little girl told me that no we have technitions I asked her again... She again repeated and said we are not doing eye exams and therefore only require technitions. Then I said that I had spoke with the College of Opticians and they said you need opticians. Then I asked if they would also be selling drugs soon as an add on sale because seeing as they are already illegal they may as well get commision for bonus items.
    I have also contacted radio and newspapers asking to pull their ads and have sent the copy of the article in the paper to anyone I could think of.
    Guess it is time to take matters into my own hands.
    The college person involved is away until Monday.
    And Gary.... It's always noon somewhere......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When people fall in love with money, they can fool themselves into believing they are fighting a just war. Bergez is a dangerous man.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    A fax from Bergez himself:

http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/ob/st...-4394751c.html

Great Glasses founder says ruling gives monopoly to optometrists

Dec 2, 2006

The Oakville Beaver contacted the Great Glasses 220 North Service Rd. location for comment on the recent court decision. One of the store's managers faxed the newspaper the following statement prepared by Bruce Bergez, the founder of the Great Glasses chain.

Thank you for your interest in this exceptional story.
    As a result of Justice Crane's order, Great Glasses has been restricted from using new technology in the form of the Eyelogic Sight Testing System to do an eyetest for the purposes of assisting people to buy glasses.
    The ultimate result of this is that a monopoly has now been created by The College of Optometrists of Ontario as the virtual sole provider of eyetests for eyeglasses and contact lenses.
    It is widely known that only a limited number of physicians provide eyetests for eyeglasses and contact lenses, as the College of Physicians and Surgeons directs their members to stay within their chosen scope of practice.
    Hence, optometrists now have an exclusive monopoly on the scope of practice of eyetesting for eyeglasses.
    The use of the courts to obtain this monopoly abrogates fully the intent of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA). These comments have been stated about the RHPA;
    The RHPA was widely regarded as ground-breaking legislation.
    The RHPA replaces exclusive scopes of practice.
    One of the central concepts of the RHPA is the replacement of monopolistic or exclusive scopes of practice.
    People who use health services are the primary intended beneficiaries of the RHPA and thus it was intended that the RHPA, unlike the previous regulatory statute, would not unnecessarily limit consumer freedom of choice.
    The dispensing function for eyeglasses should be regulated consistently and provide no advantage, however slight, to one profession over another.
    There is no justification for establishing an uneven playing field whereby only one profession can be in the business of both prescribing and dispensing eyewear products.
    That the right of individuals is to obtain services from the health professions of their choice.
    We should encourage flexibility and encourage innovation in the provision of health services and allow professions to evolve as technology changes.
    What the College of Optometrists have imposed on the citizenry of Ontario is a reversal of years of effort on behalf of the Ontario Government and effectively forced everyone to buy an eyetest from them, at a cost of $80 to $100, when there is a safe, reliable, computerized alternative available to the public. When OHIP was paying optometrists for eyetests, the Government valued this service at $40. For years it has been done for free. How do you explain the increase that the average optometrist now charges to the citizens of Ontario? What will your cost be now that a monopoly has re-emerged?
    If I had the opportunity to properly elaborate on this subject, I could show you compelling evidence that the Ontario Government would have wanted the outcome to be different.
    The Ontario Government wants the consumer to have a choice in health services, and the Ontario Government wants to reduce the cost of health care to its citizens, including making the purchase of eyeglasses more affordable. This is what the Ontario Government means when they mandate that the College work in the public interest.
    From time to time, technologies do emerge that change industries. Would you, as a reporter, want to revert back to a day of the typewriter versus using your word processor?
    Great Glasses has always acted in the interests of the public, providing free eye tests, doing so seven days a week for your convenience, not requiring you to wait for an appointment, and offering three pairs of glasses for the price your optometrist charges you for one pair.
    Great Glasses still feels that an eyetest is a service you ought to have done for free, as an act of corporate benevolence. Great Glasses will be reimbursing everyone the cost of the future eyetest when you purchase eyeglasses from Great Glasses.
    Great Glasses will also be appealing the decision. Great Glasses will conform to the order.
    The appeal process must be respected.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Bruce Bergez

Occupation
    Optometrist
    http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1165187409483&call_pageid=102042 0665036&col=1014656511815

Is Great Glasses obeying the law?Yes, says the boss. No, says College of Opticians of Ontario

By Steve Buist
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Dec 4, 2006) The founder of the Great Glasses chain says his stores are complying with two court orders in the wake of a record $1 million fine imposed for civil contempt.
    Bruce Bergez, a Dundas optician, said Great Glasses stores are no longer filling prescriptions for eyeglasses based on eye tests conducted on a computerized machine. Bergez also said stores have posted notices that customers must have a proper prescription from an optometrist or physician.
    Bergez, his wife Joanne, and three related corporations were fined $1 million for blatantly violating a 2003 court order that required Bergez and the Great Glasses stores to comply with Ontario legislation that governs the prescribing and dispensing of eyeglasses and contact lenses.
    Superior Court Justice David Crane also ruled that Bergez will be fined $50,000 for each day from now on that Great Glasses stores aren't in compliance with the judgment.
    "We are abiding by the order," said Bergez.
    But the College of Opticians of Ontario disagrees with Bergez's claim that he is complying with the order.
    The college believes that Bergez and the chain are in violation of the order because there isn't an optician on duty at each Great Glasses store to dispense eye glasses and contacts.
    Bergez has taken the position that opticians in Ontario are allowed to delegate their authority to dispense to anyone, even if the optician isn't on site.
    "It is not acceptable for delegation to occur without an optician present on site and able to intervene," said Cathi Mietkiewicz, president of the College of Opticians.
    "The delegation policies that we have in place are enforceable and they are expected to be followed by the profession, and it is professional misconduct not to follow those policies," she added.
    "In my view, he is not in compliance with the order."
    Mietkiewicz said the college is prepared to go back before the judge to enforce compliance.
    Bergez said there's nothing in the legislation that prevents an optician from delegating the authority to dispense.
    "There is absolutely no limitation whatsoever under the eyes of the law (on the right to delegate)," said Bergez. "There are no limitations within the law telling you that you need to be on site.
    "What they're trying to do is rewrite the legislation using policy statements and then forcing it on their members," he added.
    Bergez has been suspended from practising as an optician since Nov. 16, until the college's discipline committee deals with allegations he committed professional misconduct.
    Bergez said the Great Glasses chain has hired "a few opticians" in the wake of his suspension, and they are also delegating their authority to dispense.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "It is not acceptable for delegation to occur without an optician present on site and able to intervene," said Cathi Mietkiewicz, president of the College of Opticians."
    Interesting, the college does not allow opticians to delegate to off-site staff, but it is acceptable in their view for an optician to independently refract under the delegation of an off-site physician? Whats the rationale here?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So has anyone besides me tried contacting the College? I have had no response so far and I have offered my services to volunteer as an inspector. Are we allowed to start protesting outside the malls that have a GGlasses store? Is anyone else as frustrated as I am about this.....
    I AM WILLING TO HELP THE COLLEGE TO STOP THIS MADDNESS!!!!!
    But I can't sit here while I still loose clients to an illegal operation?!?!?!

:drop: any thoughts people????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in the same position that you are. In Ontario you are allowed to picket or protest wherever you want just as long as the signs are truthfull they can't do anything. There is a group of Opticians an Optometrists that are going to launch a lawsuit for loss of business. They are going to target the individual owners of a store in each town.

One of my employees hands out the article that Steve Buist wrote to the customers as they walk into the Great Glasses store in our town. She also puts it on the windshields of the cars in the parking lot.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    []
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-02-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Excalibur
    the judge's comments in his decision are far more damning. Take some quotes from the judge's decision and put it on a 1 page sheet that can be handed out. That would probably have a greater effect in getting across your message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    Interesting, the college does not allow opticians to delegate to off-site staff, but it is acceptable in their view for an optician to independently refract under the delegation of an off-site physician? Whats the rationale here?
    It has more to do with the Physicians scope of practice guidelines within the health professions act. Ophthalmologists are not allowed to do remote refractions is my understanding of the situation in Ontario. Secondarily, Ontario's College of Opticians has not expanded its scope of practice to include refracting, as is the case in Alberta. I'm not sure what the status is in BC.

Thread Information