Thread: Need Opinion on Frame Custom Coloring Service

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need Opinion on Frame Custom Coloring Service

Back in the late 80's custom plating and frame coloring was in vogue for high end opticals. So, this is not really new. It's the same method used to manufacture color on metal frames....powder coatings, very durable, and has evolved quite a bit. We invested in a system 6 months ago to create customized finishes on walkers, canes, crutches, etc. and it's doing extremely well; enough to grow vertically and now serves some manufactures. I'm thinking about reentering the custom optics market segment. For those of you who remember Optique Boutique and several other high end shops across the country, this is one of the services that generated substantial profits (very high margin) and unique reputation for the high end optical retailer. I was one and know of what I speak. I'm sure there are some services still doing this, but in local markets. My intentions are to be more aggressive over a planned period. I'd like your opinions, since you could be future customers, and fondly remembered for your advice. Allright . . . a lollypop! (name your flavor!)

Thanks,

Alan W

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

There is a place

There will always be a place for fresh, creative innovative style. Consumers like style.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I do the colouring on a local basis, don't know why it wouldn't work in a larger market. Someone on OB is doing it nationaly, I just can't remember who right now.

It's okoart, here's the website http://www.opticalstore.com/

Jerry Huang also knows about the process.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 10-28-2006 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added info

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for the feedback

Thank you, Jacqui. I'm encouraged to see customization hasn't died. Certainly helps me decide if I want to enter the optical industry. Further studies should reveal demand and potential market share. I'm confident it is not in anyones best interest to saturate, though. That just makes all parties settle on pizza instead of a few enjoying filet mignon. On the other hand, competition invariably leads to greater consumer awareness. We'll see.

Thanks, again

Alan W

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alan,
    My only concern would be how the customers percieve it. I would worry that some people would assume that custom coloring is less durable than a standard factory coating since most have never seen such a thing. You'd have to market it well so that people don't think you're going into the back with their new frame and a sharpie...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Eyefitwell

You have a valid point, there. Interestingly, and from my experience owning a high end custom eyewear shop, the customers who have the bucks and want "the look" associate the shop, the product and the quality as one. On the other hand, if the question of durability does come up, I make it a strong point to stress that the process is exactly what all the other frames are that have coloration over metal. In some instances there is a dying process over a clear coating (canoba wax, polyurethane, etc.) in which case there is some degradation. But, powder coating is extremely durable, and I cite examples of the coating in industry. For your edification, if necessary, I can tell you that the powder coating process can result in a surface that is extremely durable. I apply it to orthotic devices and braces on shoes where the surface is exposed to abrasion and chemicals and it actually protects the substrate material (aluminum, steel, stainless steel, and even plastic including plastics that bend, although the powder I use is not as flexible as the substrate plastic. There are powders that do flex, however.

I think your concerns are well taken. Providers as well as end consumers should be informed and trained to deal with the issue.

Thanks,

Alan W

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

color

Jacqui, your right, jerry huang not only knows about it, but was doing it also, but now that he,s overseas, its a matter of whether or not his associate richard at CLIP HOUSE is still doing it. i would contact clip house. Alan, i wish you much success with it

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Custom Frame Colors

Oko custom clips in California can custom match any color you send them on metal frames. They have probably made an enormous amount of money doing what they do. There should be pleanty of room in the market for competition if a good product can be delivered in the right amount of time for the right price.

Powder coating is widely used in the custom/hot rod car world on everything from trim peices to suspention components to brake parts and holds up very well under these abuseive conditions. If someons heats his eyewear to 300+ degrees (like the brake calipers on a car reach) they dont deserve to wear decent eyewear.
    Last edited by Scott R; 11-05-2006 at 11:39 PM. Reason: One more thought

Thread Information