View Poll Results: Have you transfered your optical trade OS??

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Dispensing...

Exclamation UK Dispensing...

Before i hear of any bashing over the head...i'm naturally from the UK....
    i want to move back, and i was curious to the requirements to work as a dispenser, or mabye a mechanic there

can anybody help me find out the small requirements that are needed? such as legal stuff, and the like?

Thanks heaps

James

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question what ??

Well if i was you i'd stay in aussie land..
    To dispense in the UK you do not need any qualifactions legaly, but if you have done the Do course then it will help you no end to get a job.
    Try this url for details of the course
    http://www.abdo.org.uk
    As to the mechanic i'm not sure just what you mean.
    I'm also lost on the poll as well.......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As John says, you can work unqualified, although you would have to be under a DO or OOs supervision. Do you have the equivalent Australian qualification? If so, it may be worth contacting ABDO to see if you can sit the exams without doing the course first.

BTW, I didn't understand your poll either. Are you asking if anyone has emigrated whilst working in optics?

Occupation
    Originally posted by Maria
    although you would have to be under a DO or OOs supervision.
    While i agree that it should be the case that anybody not trained should be under a DO or OO, there are many places where this does not happen. Otherwise known as "Bucket Shops" This is one down side of deregulation of the optical trade.....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused OO

What is an OO? I know what an oh,oh is but an OO, I know nothing about.

Chip

Wave

OK now its morning,
    i wrote the poll in the wee hours (3am i think)
    it doesn't make, sense, i just wondered if anybody had sucessfully immigrated, and transfered their skills.

As to the question about the mechanic, i think they are called glaziers in the UK. These are those nice people that we work with everyday, and order stock and grind lenses off.

Thanks ofr the site, i will check that out and get back to you..

James

PS the poll confused me when i read it this morning, but i can't change the wording now !!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Only Moderators can change a poll. Send a message to me or John and we can take care of it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation

Thumbs up Ok Ok

Chip, an OO is Opthalmic Optician or the person that tests your yes, DO is Dispensing Optician person who advices on lenses and frames and ensures a correct fit etc..

Ah Glaziers well there are always plenty of theses wanted...

We seem to forget that not everbody uses the same terms for diffrent posts in the trade.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's see if I have been following "As OptiBoard Turns". Now Maria is going to school to become an OO??? Are both John and Maria currently DO's??? Does anyone know what John is? Isn't a glazier an iceberg on land? (Yes, I know that is glacier; I am being very punny ... )

That's it. I want an English to English Dictionary.

Occupation

Wave I wish

Originally posted by Jo
    Let's see if I have been following "As OptiBoard Turns". Now Maria is going to school to become an OO??? Are both John and Maria currently DO's??? Does anyone know what John is? Isn't a glazier an iceberg on land? (Yes, I know that is glacier; I am being very punny ... )

That's it. I want an English to English Dictionary.
    What do you mean about "what John is" ? Jo
    I'm meee
    Me a DO I wish i was but for my sins (i must have been really bad in a previous life) i am but a meer Lab Rat.
    I'll let Maria explain what she is
    For a good read then try aOxford English Dictionary (Note the middle word though ENGLISH not Americian :o )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, UK Folks:

The ABDO sounds like a type of guild or union. It appears to be our Opticians Association of America (OAA), the National Federation of Opticianry Schools and the various State Societies (this is just one example) all rolled into one. The insurance, legal advice, health care and financial services are what make it sound like a union or real "guild."

Do many people register with the ABDO? How do the minimum education requirements go over, even to get the entry standard waived you have to be in optics for 10yrs?

PS - You are yooou
    I don't know John. Looking at your custom Avatar, are you any relation to the guys in the balcony in the Muppet Show theater?
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 05-16-2001 at 07:52 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper woaa

Originally posted by Jo

So, UK Folks:

Do many people register with the ABDO? How do the minimum education requirements go over, even to get the entry standard waived you have to be in optics for 10yrs?
    I'm not sure you can register with the ABDO until you have passed the exams :D Maria should know the answere to that one :D

PS - You are yooou
    I don't know John. Looking at your custom Avatar, are you any relation to the guys in the balcony in the Muppet Show theater?

Muppets !!!!! How dare you...........
    My dear JO do you not know who that is :hammer: (mind you you are a yank) It the great "Wallace" of Wallace and Grommit fame :D
    You must have heard of "The wrong trousers" or "Great day out
    He's made by the same guy who did "Chicken Run" the great Nick Park :D

Bad address email on file Corey Nicholls's Avatar
    For those interested, an "Optical Mechanic" in Australia is a surfacer and fitter of spectacle lenses (as someone else said- a lab rat). When I did my course it was a four year Apprenticeship.

An "Optical Dispenser" is a lens fitter and fitter of spectacles to patients. This is generally a two and a half year traineeship. In states like NSW where Jimbob comes from, you have to be licensed to practise dispensing.

I am both Mechanic and Dispenser.

Clear as mud?

Corey

Bad address email on file Corey Nicholls's Avatar

Crier

Jimbob,

Us colonials not good enough?

Corey.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Corey,

It sounds like you follow the same guidlines as we do in Connecticut. The only difference is we dropped the "defined" specialty of Mechanical Optician some time ago.

Corey,

I thought the colonials were the British !!!

Oh well... I was gonna do the rat course... its great what i'm doing, but i miss home !!!
    Soooo as i said before i want to move and take any qualifications with me, that may be needed.

I know its a strange occupation to try and keep, just having done my HSC (SAT's for Jo, and the gang, A-levels for Johns side)

Thanks JO for that site, big help, they just told me to send copies of any qualifications and they will assess them...i think i may have a higher chance..... I talked with a lecturer of mine and he said i may have to do some more physiology lectures. But you guys have been a big help, i still have a year and a hlaf here, but once i'm done i'll probably head back!

Who are good companies to work for???
    (other than private practices)

Of course i'll miss AUS, but i miss the UK

Catch Ya all soon anywayzzzz....

James

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier Better late than never....I only just spotted the questions

I am doing the DOs course. Membership of ABDO is compulsory, (as far as I'm aware, I could be wrong)to practice as a registered DO. You can join if you're qualified, a student, or retired. There's about 7000 full members.
    As far as the qualifications go, to get on the course, you have to have 5 GSCEs, of which you must have maths, english and at least one science, or otherwise 10 years optical experience. Having said that, it is possible to talk your way on to the course with neither. It all depends on the particular educational establishment. You have to take the course to take the ABDO practical exams, but you also have to pass the written exams from your own college. Written exams are every year, and practical exams are in first and third year.
    To fit contact lenses, you have to have already taken and passed the DOs course. You then study for a year part-time, spending a certain amount of time doing supervised fittings in practice. You then sit the ABDO contact lens exams.

I think that answers Jo's question, but let me know if I've missed anything.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Hi James,
    I've been away and have just caught up with your post. I can give you some help with the requirements in the UK (apologies to John and Maria for speaking about the UK from downunder, but I was born there and I still feel slightly Scottish). If you have the Guild qualification in Australia you are entitled to get exemption from the entire ABDO course except their final practical test. If you pass that test you must work for 1 year under a DO or OO before they will grant you the FBDO qualification. If you have the NSW TAFE qualification (the current one) you must sit their Visual Physiology subject as well as their final practical test and do the one year (I have all this in writing from the registrar of ABDO).
    The optical mechanics course is, I believe, the equivalent of the optical technicians course which I think is offered by some of the colleges in England, including the City and Islington College and the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers. What Aussies call optical mechanics, most countries call optical technicians. Glazing is actually a little narrower. it is only edging and fitting. As Corey correctly points out, optical mechanics also surface lenses.

Britain, under the Lord Rubgy changes made during the Thatcher years, partially deregulated optical dispensing. Anyone can dispense (as an unregistered spectacle seller) except to children and certain prescription categories where you must be a registered DO. DOs are still registered by the General Optical Council.
    I hope that this helps, James.
    Regards
    David Wilson
    PS: Corey, I've just noticed that I've been misspelling your name. Sorry about that, you'd think I'd know by now!

Stick out tongue Hoorah!

Dave!!!!

That one totally knocked it on the head ! I still feel a little bit British after living here most of my life !!!, The TAFE course i'm undertaking now, and i had also (eventually) got a bit of a clue in about the Visual Physiology side of things from my college teacher (ex Liverpool). But you answered it better than the ABDO did.

OK scotty i guess i owe ya a drink now, but hey scots rule (och aye!)
    :cheers:

Thanks heaps champ!!

FYI i just got my travel organised (as much as possible) a couple of days ago, but i won't be in Essex until about 2003, so its all a big plan still...

So next question for the masses:

Who is a good firm (chain wise) to work for, who should be avoided like the plague?

Thanks all

James

Bad address email on file
    David,
    Is it "visual physiology" or "visual optics",or does it mean the same.
    I believe FBDO qualification is well recognised in your country right?
    Thanking you in advance.
    Sara

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Hi Sara,
    I suspect that our 'Visual Physiology' is the equivalent of your 'Visual Optics' but I'd have to dig out my copy of the ABDO syllabus to be sure. And, yes, Sara, the FBDO is looked or rather highly here.
    Good luck with your travels, James.
    Regards
    David Wilson

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Glaziers = Lab Rats

Dear Jo:
    In late 70’s and early 80’s I have lived in the UK and done some business with Brits.
    OO = Ophthalmic Optician a three year course plus one year of residency. Now a days the same folks are calling themselves as "Optometrists”. However an OO is not allowed to prescribe or use diagnostic medication like they do in CT. They are the older version of formally educated Opticians.
    DO = Dispensing Opticians. No certification needed for work in the UK but a must, to become a member of ABDO.
    ABDO = Association of British Dispensing Opticians, has more authority than our COA (Connecticut Optician’s Association). To attain ABDO status you need to pass their written and practical tests and pay the dues as well, while here in CT, membership for COA is not compulsory and you don’t need any exams to pass to become a member. On the other hand you can’t work or even claim to be an Optician in Connecticut (you can go to jail for claiming for what you are not) unless you have:
    1. Passed all the prescribed courses through an accredited college program or worked at least 8000 hours (at least four years) under the direct supervision of a Connecticut licensed Optician.
    2. Passed all the three phases of State licensing exam (Written and practical exams for eyeglasses, contact lenses and state statutes).
    3. Must take CEC’s.
    4. Must pay dues to the state to renew your license annually.

Glaziers = Lab Rats
    Glazing = Edging
    Thanks
    Sam hamadani
    Last edited by sam hamadani; 07-16-2001 at 01:47 AM.
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sam:

Don't forget, in CT, you also have to pass ABO/NCLE.

Jo

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Jo
    Sam:

Don't forget, in CT, you also have to pass ABO/NCLE.

Jo

Jo:

Very true

Thanks

Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Bad address email on file

Uk optometrists

Some misunderstanding !

UK Optometrists can use topical anaesthetics, mydriatics, cyclpolegics and antibacterials diagnostically.

We can also prescribe mydriatics, cycloplegics and chloramphenicol antibacterial to our patients/clients.

A smmall number of UK optoetrists have a professional qualification form the College of Optometrists in therapeutics - the Diploma in Therapeutics ( Dip Tp) and some are FAAO's.

The situation is similar to some of your less well advanced states in relation to TPA and DPA usage I believe.

Regards,

John Tickner BSc MCOptom DipTp FAAO.

Thread Information