Thread: tinted lenses for dyslexia

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

tinted lenses for dyslexia

Has anybody experience of using tinted lenses for dyslexia particularly Chromagen lenses?
    thanks

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

O.D.'s make a lot of money on this. Phychologists make a lot of money on this. Some M.D.'s make a lot of money on this. Nothing helps the patient except learning to adjust.
    Probably a little more money in vision training for this, at least you can get repeat fees.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    One of the members of this board has or is doing a study on this. Seems it is only a temporary fix. If I can remember his name, etc., I will send it to you.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Controlled study.............................

Tinted lenses and dyslexics--a controlled study. SPELD (S.A.) Tinted Lenses Study Group.

Gole GA, Dibden SN, Pearson CC, Pidgeon KJ, Mann JW, Rice D, Rooney KF, Hannell G, Fitzgerald BA, Kortman JY, et al.

SPELD Incorporated, Kensington, South Australia.

We have carried out a randomised prospective controlled trial of the effect of tinted lenses on the reading ability of 24 non-asthmatic dyslexic children aged between nine and twelve years. Reading ability was assessed using the Neale Analysis of Reading. After .............................

Read whole article : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    From my perspective...

I know a lot of optometrists, and I don't know ANYONE doing it for money or for free.

Any VT/developmental optometrists that I know, and I know a lot, will have nothing to do with this treatment other than to study it and know about it.

If I am not mistaken, this treatment is the brainchild of an optician in England. He is an optiboarder, username Ian...something. Perhaps, he can enlighten us further.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ian Jordan is the optiboarder to ask.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The Irlen lens system is supposed to help dyslexia. It is controversial since there have been no proven scientific studies by the inventor who is a psychologist. I think other studies have been done but the deal is any practitioner wanting to use the system I believe has to go through the Irlen group for all the materials at great expense. Go to an internet search engine and look up Irlen Lenses.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When I was with Sola Technical Services I once talked with Dr. Irlen about this. Suffice it to say, I was not convinced by the methodology or any studies that this was a valid technique.

I did once read a study by an Australian Optometry school, I believe, that indicated there were some benefits for dyslexics with blue tinted lenses, and only blue. Unfortunately I have not been able to find that study again.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Blue Lenses..................

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    ......................I believe, that indicated there were some benefits for dyslexics with blue tinted lenses, and only blue.
    Through an OD in Ontario we had to come up with a blue color dye for a patient age 48 that can only exist and function with the blue tinted glasses. Has a pair for inside and a pair for outside use. Not any blue will work and make her comfortable, it has to be altered to provide maximum level of comfort for the patient.

Patient switched to an other OD a year ago, who then had new glasses tinted blue by his regular lab and patient was not happy until they finally were back to what she had beeen wearing for several years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we do plenty of these......typically we use cerium lenses (uk supplier) and they come in all sorts of crazy colours. Unfortunately I do not have much experience in dealing with these patients and the testing methods involved as it is done by one of our clinical assistants. However I do know that they will give the patient various coloured overlays to decide which helps them read the best and they often take these away with them to try for a week or so before ordering the lenses. There is probably a little more to it than that though i expect. The lenses themselves are quite expensive due to the tinting methods involved and this is reflected in the sale price. I will try to find out a bit more info next time i'm at our main practice and post any more details i can get.

Thread Information