Thread: *Must See Video* All right! Finally everyone knows what is an Optician

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

*Must See Video* All right! Finally everyone knows what is an Optician

By any chance anyone know this guy, please kindly beat the sh#t outta him. The sadest parts are Silverman did a greart job on editing the footage (Zoom in to the spoke person from college while she said "Is not legal in Ontario!") nothing more... And the reporter kept saying "Optician are not allow to perform eye exam".

Man~ We are getting famous!!

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4479.aspx

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I watched it just now...I'm confused about your comment about editing. What do you think the woman is actually saying?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh sorry to make you confused about my comment. Basically, I assume that the lady from the college did/should say what is our role to the public. And I suspected that Silverman didn't show the viewer anything about a real optician do.

Occupation
    And besides - wasn't that a refraction? It didn't look like an eye exam to me...

Is the public to believe they are one and the same?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    key point was that he was also selling knock off Oakly's. I'll bet $100 that if he's shifty enough to sell knock off's he's probably 'fudging' the rx so people feel they need to buy a new pair.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN View Post
    key point was that he was also selling knock off Oakly's. I'll bet $100 that if he's shifty enough to sell knock off's he's probably 'fudging' the rx so people feel they need to buy a new pair.
    That was my first thought too. First calling Oakley a liar? Then telling a client her prescription is stronger? And can you really trust someone who points out to his clients that he's not supposed to be doing this in the first place?

Edit: And did anyone notice in the second segment that he tells the woman she's overwearing her contact lenses and she says she doesn't wear contact lenses at all? I don't think he was limiting himself to just a refraction.
    Last edited by mlm; 10-21-2006 at 11:05 PM. Reason: noticed something else in the news segment

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I concur she is overwearing her contacts, and she drives her car to hard as well. I can tell all that from the video. If you look closely you can see she has high blood pressure also. :D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [[
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-02-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Doesn't matter.....

To most people it doesn't matter, they saw it and heard it on T.V. so it's gotta be 100% true no questions asked! Cattle to the slaughter......mooooo......:hammer:

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    To most people it doesn't matter, they saw it and heard it on T.V. so it's gotta be 100% true no questions asked! Cattle to the slaughter......mooooo......:hammer:
    I saw a lot of interesting things in that video. Most of all was a guy with some serious anger issues. I love the part where he holds his badge and shouts, "I'm an Optician!" in the street. Hilarious! LMAO! Wow! That was cool.

Adam

Too bad he has to disgrace such a great first name.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by xoptec View Post
    By any chance anyone know this guy, please kindly beat the sh#t outta him. The sadest parts are Silverman did a greart job on editing the footage (Zoom in to the spoke person from college while she said "Is not legal in Ontario!") nothing more... And the reporter kept saying "Optician are not allow to perform eye exam".

Man~ We are getting famous!!

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4479.aspx
    Here is the link for the first segment of the CityPulse coverage of King West Opticians. http://www.citynews.ca/news/news4085.aspx

Yes he was selling fake Oakleys, got caught red handed and didn't make things right with the customer. He could have given a full refund or called a fellow optician to get a legitament frame whatever the cost. Adam has nobody to blame for his misfortune but the fellow staring back at him in the mirror. Besides having some anger issues I truly believe that he is incredibly stupid.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

P.S. I hope the link works

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spoke with adam briefly, he is refracting:drop: .I can't imagine the Opticians assoc. would allow that to continue. Not very smart!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    I spoke with adam briefly, he is refracting:drop: .I can't imagine the Opticians assoc. would allow that to continue. Not very smart!!
    Hi Mike;

Never mind the association how about the College of Opticians?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    []
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-02-2007 at 12:37 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    For what purpose is he refracting ? The key question is " What does he do with the results of the refraction ? "
    Gary;

Look at the two links I have provided and you will see that he refracted this person and GAVE her the results!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was he charging for the refraction? Why would he do a refraction and give her a copy of the results, especially since he isn't licensed to refract

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    Was he charging for the refraction? Why would he do a refraction and give her a copy of the results, especially since he isn't licensed to refract
    We don't know if he was charging for a refraction or if the person that CityTV sent ordered glasses from him and asked him for a copy of her "prescription." In any event the customer got a copy of the optician's refraction and then City TV showed it to an optometrist for his comments on air. That's what I get from the links that I have posted.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We have no one to blame but ourselves!!

Several years ago I got involved in trying to develope an organization made of up opticians that was there to promote opticianry. It was 100% Optiboard people. It didn't take but a couple weeks before upsetting debate, derailment (from members of the optical community here on Optiboard who couldn't or wouldn't get involved because it would show favoritism towards opticianry rather than optometry.), and useless rhetoric, killed the "movement". I made a statement that I thought every optician, collegiately educated or not, pay one dollar a head to produce one or more PSA's explaining what opticianry was all about to the public. That and every other attempt at marketing opticianry failed. In its place was a continutation of the insistance that training and optical state organizations were the answer. Today, nothing has changed and opticianry has lost even more of the professional optical "beachhead". The public doesn't know us for anything but what they see of the dwindling number of independents (of which I was a member), transferees from the Garden Department to Vision Center, and just about any other "breed" of what some of us reluctantly call opticians, including "creepo" from Ontario.

I no longer perform as an optician, opting to use other skills. Besides, as I got older, I realized that the optometrists, etc. in Texas were looking for younger, opposite gender than mine, and much lovelier torseaus, and willingness to work for $8.00/hr. And, my degree was more of a hindrance than qualification. It excluded me from mainstream professional environs and forced me (I'm not alone) to work for insurance chains, etc. and whatever was out there that paid more for just the sales qualifications and the heck with the knowledge base.

But, now that my future is not at risk by speaking out against those who share the letter O with you, but are not O-pticians, I repeat what I've said before, and fully expect the same results . . . . get your **** together and start marketing opticianry. I am amazed at how long we've lasted. As far as those of you who have spent so much energy over Adam Plimmer and those of you who have analyzed the videos to absolutely no benefit . . . please collect a a few bucks a head and get some PSA's produced and broadcast them on the internet as well as local TV to the extent that the public knows what an optician is supposed to be without having to get some consumer advocate on Ontario TV to promote how bad an optician can be. That optical shop, which looks fairly decent, would better have been a good rep for what opticianry is supposed to be than what he was.

You have no one to blame but yourselves. You won't even invest a couple dollars a head to fund paying someone who can raise your status and make it easier for you to get a better buck . . . a marketing professional. And, to those of you with PD sticks in your pocket who will probably respond to this posting like you were marketing executives in a previous life . . . you have no one to blame but yourself.

Finally, if you are unable to conceptualize what it would take for someone who is a professional in marketing to promote opticianry in a positive manner for everyone who believes he is an optician, visit this link. I think you'll see what even a small business can do with a professionals help . . . now lets see what can happen for a few bucks a head out of the ranks of a few thousand in opticianry. Click on the link for Heartbeat of America. This is a little local guy.
    http://www.lakesofsoutherncrossing.com/videos.htm

Thanks,
    Alan W

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No need to sugar coat it Alan. Actually you make some very good points, apathy is killing the profession while the respectability gets sold off piece by peice. We actually do use PR people here in BC, and at least one of them is doing more damage to the profession than a chain of schlock-merchant stores ever could. We actually have legislation designed to protect the reputation and respectability of the profession, but it is a never-ending battle. at the end of the day, maybe its easier to be the one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind. Happy birthday, and have a drink for me.:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My apology, Dave

I really shouldn't have gotten on that old soap box. Too dangerous. So, old it might crumble. But, it breaks my heart when I visit physical therapy, orthotic, some professional hearing aid places (forgot what you call them.). And, with regard to the hearing aid people . . . the vendors are promoting them because of the product, but in optical, they don't promote opticians . . . they promote OD's. And, make it real hard to get behind quality independent opticians.

Without self promoting, opticians are next to a hunk of meat to the industry. They command and get no respect. They have allowed themselves to be the selling tool for the mfg's and the OD's and MD's, not professional providers that the education they get (ONLY those who get real training) should be recognized for.

I'm knocking myself out. I know it. It's just sad to watch. I miss the craft and the patients. But, last year I got 2 OD's and 2 MD's to actually pay major bucks for what I now do. Ahhh....sweet revenge!

watevah
    Oops... didn't see the other threads about Adam Plimmer...
    Last edited by watevah; 02-10-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Thread Information