Thread: Labs hosting lens presentations???

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter PNKansas's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Wave Labs hosting lens presentations???

Hello all,
    looking to see if anyone would be willing to offer their insight on a few things. We are a small lab (100-150 jobs) and are going to be hosting a lens presentation. I am targeting about 60-100 guests and offering CE Credit for ABO or NCLE.

My question to those reading this is:

In speaking of a setting what would you prefer or experienced in the past that has worked successfully to you??

How have you found it successful to advertise for events such as this??

What days of the week seem to be more successful than others or do you think that it depends on the Dr. offices schedule??

What do you think is normal or reasonable for the lens vendor(s) doing the presentation to contribute ($$) for the opportunity to present there "NEW" lenses.

I'm dying to hear your responses so even if you can offer your personal experiences not related to these questions please bring it on!!!:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Turkish Bath is the best place!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Turkish Bath is the best place!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We always went to the hotels in our area!
    Saturday or Sunday depending on the religion of your customers!
    During the week a lot of people dont want to stay late and unfortunately in retail world we work until 6 or 7 pm ( I am not counting the mall locations)

PS If you do 100-150 jobs a day where are you going to get so many people?
    The last time I was on this kind of presentation from the lab that probably does 2-3000 jobs a day there were 20 people present...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PNKansas View Post
    Hello all,
    looking to see if anyone would be willing to offer their insight on a few things. We are a small lab (100-150 jobs) and are going to be hosting a lens presentation. I am targeting about 60-100 guests and offering CE Credit for ABO or NCLE.

My question to those reading this is:

In speaking of a setting what would you prefer or experienced in the past that has worked successfully to you??

How have you found it successful to advertise for events such as this??

What days of the week seem to be more successful than others or do you think that it depends on the Dr. offices schedule??

What do you think is normal or reasonable for the lens vendor(s) doing the presentation to contribute ($$) for the opportunity to present there "NEW" lenses.

I'm dying to hear your responses so even if you can offer your personal experiences not related to these questions please bring it on!!!:cheers:
    Here's my feedback (from an attendee perspective):

I have been to a few of the recent presentations from various lab/lens entities in recent months.

It seems like the events I've attended have been on Wednesday evenings.

The events were held at a conference room at a hotel or in a banquet room at a restaurant - something to nosh on provided (buffet style). There was a "eating/socialing time" for a certain length of time (for eating, socializing and late comers) then the educational presentation, then time for questions, and usually a raffle of some kind (gas cards, Sharper Image, T shirts, and of course, a couple of free lenses from the lab).

I found out about the event from our optician's association website. Our practice is rather large, so we were "invited" with a flyers or postcards (to the main office as well as each satellite office). For another event, the postcard was sent with the lens order. Usually, I've seen the events listed with a way to "RSVP" and a "space is limited - sign up now".

I hope that info helps - good luck!

Occupation
    Something else to keep in mind ... if there are offices you have have been wanting to "court & woo" :p , make sure to invite them. Also, don't for get about the optician's across the border in CDA ... they might like an evening out to the big city ... ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Kansas,

We're a lab currently planning a 'educational event' in our area. We're holding at a local banquet facility (but hotels work well too) that's close enough to our lab to offer lab tours on the same day. We've found that a week night tends to work well and are offering a buffet dinner and open bar for beer & wine. We sent out invitations with the worked shipped, but also sent an email blast and followed up with phone calls (important) about a week later. We're projecting that we'll get about 50 people judging from how it's tracking. Some of your lens suppliers will probably have coop funds available to help you offset some of the cost. And if you schedule an interesting agenda you'll get more interest.

Good Luck!

Dottie

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    PS If you do 100-150 jobs a day where are you going to get so many people?
    The last time I was on this kind of presentation from the lab that probably does 2-3000 jobs a day there were 20 people present...
    Wow! 3,000 jobs a day.... Can you imagine the returns?

Close to 500 people a year the last two years for Cherry Optical's What's New University at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI.

March 25th 2007 if any of you are interested. 20+ hours of free CE. ABO, NCLE, COPE.

PM me if you want more info.

Adam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The returns are probably the same percentage as long as people know what are they doing!
    I am working with one lab in upstate NY that amazes me all the time!
    They are very profesional and not small. If the job gets there before 1pm it 90% of the time leaves the same day with Zeiss AR even in poly! I think this is amaizing. Most of the labs I know are struggle to get jobs out in 2 days. I was following the progress of one job and it was on the blocker in 21 minute after I placed the order (visionweb). They are also an Essilor lab. So their prices are up there.

PS I dont work for them!
    Last edited by LENNY; 10-23-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    The returns are probably the same percentage as long as people know what are they doing!
    Not exactly sure who 'people' are, but like I said before... Can you imagine all of the returned lenses. Must be insane!

Adam

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Hard to predict....

I would have to agree with GOS Queen as far as the day of the week and general presentation of the meetings. Unfortunately it has become the norm here in So-Cal to expect a little buffet munchies to entice most poeple to attend. I have noticed though that attendance is really hard to predict and you should really insist on a fairly accurate RSVP from the accounts you solicite. Try not to make your event coincide with other local shindigs like Proms or Graduations and such. Chris..

P.S. Make sure you get as many people from your lab to attend also to show your own commitment to your own staff's continuing ED, and don't be embarrassed to take the leftover buffet stuff back to work for a great leftover lunch the next day-- heck the hotel staff's just gonna chuck it in the trash!:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People!
    I meant optical people that work in that lab.
    They must be good!

Adam !
    Can you get a regular job to the blocker in 21 minutes!?

Occupation
    I'm betting Adam can, and so can we. Especially when ordered over Vision Web, it decreases time into the lab dramatically.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe I did not word it corectly!
    What I meant was this is the usual timing for that lab!
    I am shure the job can be finished in 30 min if it needs to be but what I am talking is the REGULAR turn around time!

And Sorry I did not want to put anyone down

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Order History For Order # SP5JXCOSupplier DateLast UpdatedOrder Status
    10/16/2006 5:35:21 PM 10/16/2006 6:13:05 PM Shipped
    10/16/2006 11:43:00 AM10/16/2006 12:13:04 PMSurfacing
    10/16/2006 11:20:08 AM10/16/2006 11:42:06 AMRx Launch
    10/11/2006 12:25:26 PM10/11/2006 12:40:06 PMOther
    10/10/2006 1:22:10 PM10/10/2006 1:42:06 PMRx Launch
    10/10/2006 1:24:01 PMReceived by the supplier
    10/10/2006 1:23:11 PMSent to Supplier
    10/10/2006 1:21:16 PMSending the order...
    All supplier times are local to your supplier.

This is the typical report from the OTHER lab!

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Adam !
    Can you get a regular job to the blocker in 21 minutes!?
    Can you get me a frame in 21 minutes? :shiner:

Adam

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some munchies will help to get people to attend. So will letting people know you will be giving away a couple of free lenses or other goodies.

I go to these often and the one I went to that had the best turnout offered a free open bar with beer and wine. The turnout was huge!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    Can you get me a frame in 21 minutes? :shiner:

Adam
    From Where!
    Definately not from China!
    Even though I heard that you can get packages from China in 2 days prety regulary!

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Some munchies......a free open bar with beer and wine. The turnout was huge!
    LMAO! If that doesn't say professionalism, I don't know what does.

Adam

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    LMAO! If that doesn't say professionalism, I don't know what does.

Adam
    But so true! :bbg:

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    From Where!
    Definately not from China!
    Even though I heard that you can get packages from China in 2 days prety regulary!
    You might be able to get a bride from China in about the same time. I have heard those same rumors about Frame + Progressive from China the next day for like $20. Something I have noticed about the optical industry is that every time I hear about the 'super-discount' lab/manufacturer I usually get a call from someone who we have never done business with saying they heard we do high quality work.

There will always be a market for both.....

Adam

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter PNKansas's Avatar
    Occupation

Wave Thanks a lot

Thank you to everyone that has responded to the original question that I posted. I have been following this on a daily basis. So far I have 55 people that have already RSVP'd. The final date to RSVP is Nov. 3rd so I assume that we will have a pretty good turn out. The presentation isn't until Nov. 14th. We are planning a sit down dinner with time to mingle and socialize prior to (and after as time permits) the meals being served. Younger / Transitions and Essilor are Sponsoring the occasion while we are hosting it at the Red Lion Inn. Up to 2 alcohol drinks (using "drink tickets") are on the house per person. So if some people don't drink they can always offer them to others attending. The presentation is going to offer 2 CE credits for ABO or NCLE depending on what it is that you are in need of. We are going to raffle off gifts at the end of the presentation. Everyone that attends will be receiving a free fit voucher for attending through Younger.
    I have tried to take a lot of what you were saying as pro's and con's and threw it all together. Thank you very much for the time that you have taken to respond.
    COOP funds are definately the way to go for any presentations that you are planning in the future!!! This has paid off extremely well for us!!!!
    Thanks again for everyones thoughts.:D :cheers:

Thread Information