Thread: Polycarb Concerns

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Polycarb Concerns

Hello! I have been an optical lab tech for 7 years. ( A real lab rat!) I have recently become aware of the dangers of the makeup of poly lenses, especailly bisphenol A a binder of poly material. I have had two consecutive miscarriages and I was stunned to find out that the breakdown of poly could be causing this. If anyone has any info on this, PLEASE share it with me. I am on a desperate search for information. Thank you for reading my post.

Occupation
    As far as I know polycarbonate materials are safe and have been used in a variety of medical applications. I would be more concerned about alloy, a/r stripper fumes etc. I am very, very sorry to hear about the miscarriages. My wife and I had one a while back and it was divistating! If you have some concerns about lab safety and chemicals you should contact Chris Ryser from Opto Chemicals or the Larry Khahn from Optical Chemicals. Both are members of Optiboard and would be more than happy to give you all the information that you could ever need.

Occupation
    Thank You Don! How do i find Chris or Larry?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Health Dangers In Optical Lab...................

Polycarbonate is a finished and cured plastic and present no health danger whatsoever. Most plastic articles in this world are made with the same material from kitchen utensils to motorcycle windshields.

The dangers in an optical lab are also not from AR strippers or solvents because you do not ingest them physically because you know that they are poison.

However inadequate ventilation to the outside in an optical lab is of great concern to your health. Breathing fumes that come from working on, or considered safe products can affect your health and in the case of females also their reproductive organs.

When solvents and other chemicals are heated, they will emit fumes that breathing those fumes will result in the same if you would ingest them.
    Therefore you should consult MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for all the chemicals products you are using and act accordingly.

However there are some suppliers in the optical field, specially in the lens tinting and lens coating area that do not publish proper MSDS sheets as they do not state the dangers of chemical products when heated.

In today's modern world were anybody can publish their own website with as many pages you want, I would be very careful to purchase products which present no proper MSDS sheets already on their website that you can check out before purchasing and using these products. Once you have all the information needed you can organize your lab to work safely with any toxic product.

When you grind Polycarbonate lenses and some high index lenses on a dry edger you can detect some smells that come from heating up the materials while working on them. Again here are fumes that should be vented out.

There should be good ventilation over your tinting unit, which is one of the largest culprits in optical labs. Fumes have to vented to the outside. Most lens dye neutralizers used these days are made with glycols of one sort or another and the seller not giving correct information on the product when hot.

The same goes for hard coating machines which use resins of which the carrier is a solvent mix of one kind or another. These units emit very toxic fumes and smell bad when working.

Every purchaser and user has the right to look at MSDS sheets, look at the ingredients, check them out and the act accordingly, that is why they have to be made available.

The whole subject is NOT if lab chemicals are made from apples or wood, (you can make methanol from them that make you blind when ingested) it is how you are going to protect yourself when working with them.

If you have good ventilation with hoods over the working place you are safe, and by using personal protection as clothing, gloves and glasses you should have no problem working without risking your health.

Occupation
    Chris, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Our lab DOES NOT have adequate ventilation. Today I am having a meeting with my boss about that very subject. I really apprecaite your reply.
    Susanne

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

We have a safety engineer on our team

As a chemical manufacturer we recognize the importance of proper lab safety. We have gone to great lenght to reformulate our products to make most from non-toxic ingredients. We are the only optical chemical manufacturer with a safety engineer on our team. We started a thread on Optiboard regarding safety and were amazed by the lack of interest.
    • In the United States, all vendors of chemicals products are required to provide proper MSDS documents to its customers on request.
    • We have noticed that many consumers of chemicals are not fully aware of what is required by US Department of Labor rules to make this information available to all. The required documentation involves all chemicals you use including the cleaning chemicals for the kitchen sink such as bleach or ammonia.
    • We have also noticed that many labs do not have ventilation to the exterior. This is most important. Building air conditioning systems just spread the vapors to other parts of the building.
    • Good safety is good business sense and respect for the people around you.
    Please contact us in our office at 407 898 2323 if you have a general question regarding safety.

Occupation
    Is there a place online that one could find the MSDS for materials used in the lab?
    I know I could contact the manufacture of these products but dont have access to this in the lab setting. I also dont want to come accross as the "squeaky wheel" in the lab I work at by asking.
    TIA

Occupation

Blue Jumper Safety Links for the Optical Laboratory...............

Is there a place online that one could find the MSDS for materials used in the lab?
    Each manufacturer in that field has a website. Search the website for MSDS sheets of his own products. Dont just take it of any website because these product might vary in their compositions.

If there are no MSDS published or otherwise available a manufacturer might not want you to know whats in his products and you better shop somewhere else.

There is a link on my links page at http://optochemicals.com/web_links.htm

Occupational Safety and Health Administration - OSHA HOME PAGE OSHA is the main federal agency charged with the enforcement of safety and health legislation. OSHA is focusing on four strategies: 1) leadership; ...
    www.osha.gov/ - 61k - Cached - Similar pages
    Standards - www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STAND...
    AZ Index - www.osha.gov/html/a-z-index.html
    Publications/Posters - www.osha.gov/pls/publications/pubindex.list
    Whistleblower Program - www.osha.gov/dep/oia/whistleblower/index.html
    More results from www.osha.gov »

OSHA Regulations & Compliance Links Provides a comprehensive and easy to use resource for current OSHA standards and compliance-related information.
    www.osha.gov/comp-links.html - 37k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.osha.gov ]
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-17-2006 at 08:59 AM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Glycol based Neutralizers........

diethylene glycol monoethylether
    ethylene glycol
    other glycols

Generally known as Neutralizer

route of entry

skin contact
    repeated contact with skin may cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals.

skin absorbtion
    no evidence of adverse effects from available information

eye contact
    causes irritation. causes pain. causes eye burns. may cause conjunctivitis.

inhalation
    may cause irritation of the nose and throat with headache, particularly from mists. high vapour concentrations (caused by heating material) in an enclosed and poorly ventilated workplace may produce nausea, vomitting, headache, dizziness, and irregular eye movements.

swallowing, ingestion
    may cause abdominal discomfort or pain, nausea, vomitting, dizziness, drowsiness, malaise, blurring of vision, irritability, lumbar pain, oliguria, uremia, and central nervous systems effects, including irregular eye movement, convulsions and coma. cardiac failure and pulmonary oedema may develop, severe kidney damage follows the swallowing of large volumes of ethylene glycol. may be fatal. few reports have been published describing the development of weakness of the facial muscles, diminished hearing, and difficulty swallowing, during stages of severe poisoning.

effects of acute exposure
    refer to route of entry

effects of chrionic exposure
    repeated contact with skin may cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals. ethylene glycol has been shown to produce dose-related teratogenic effects in rats and mice when given by gavage or in drinking water at high doses or concentrations. also , in a preliminay studyto assess the effects of exposure of pregnant rats and mice to aeosols at concentrations 150, 1000, and 2500 mg/m3 for 6 hours a day throughout the period of organogenesis, teratogenic effects were produced at the highest concentration, but only in mice. the conditions of these latter experiments did notallow a cnclusion as to wehther the developmental toxicity was mediated by inhalation of aerosol, percutaneous absorbtion of ethylene glycol from hogh aerosol concentrations by whole-body or nose-only exposure, it was shown that nose-only exposure resulted in maternal toxicity (1000 and 2500 mg/m3), and developmental toxicity with minimal evidence of teratogenicity (2500 mg/m3)

a further study in mice in mice no teratogenic effects could be produced when ethylene glycol was applied to the skin of prgnant mice ove a period of organogenesis. the above observations suggest that ethylene glycol is to be regarded as an animal teratogen; there is currently no available nformation to suggest that ethylene glycol is to be regarded as an animal teatogen; there is currently no available information to suggest that ethylene glycol has caused birth defects in humans. cutaneous application of ethylene glycol is ineffective in producing developmental toxicity; exposure to high aerosol is
    only minimally effective in producing developmental toxicity; the major route for producing developmental toxicity is perorally. two chronic feeding studies, using rats and mice, have not produced any evidence that ethylene glycol causes dose related increases in tumor incidence, or a different pattern of tumors compared to untreated controls. the absence of a carcinogenic potential fro ethylene glycol has been supported by numerous in vitro genotoxicity studies showing that it does not produce mutagenic or clastogenic effects.

irritancy of material
    see above

carcinogenicity
    see above

reproductive effects
    see above

medical condition aggravated by overexposure
    kidney desease
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-17-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Occupation

Locating an MSDS

As a chemical manufacturer we have some experience in this matter. There should be a phone number on the chemical bottle or carton for obtaining an MSDS. Most will provide such by fax or email. Some vendors also put them on a website. There are also some services that you can subscribe to that have MSDS information. It is the obligation of the vendor that sells you the chemical to make an MSDS available.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Is there a place on-line that one could find the MSDS for materials used in the lab?
    TIA

Occupation

Polycarb Concerns

Please note that simply providing MSDS to employees does not comply with the Hazardous Communications Act (HAZ-COM). The law also requires employers to develop a written site-specific program that includes site evaluations, labeling, chemical spills, use of personal protective equipment, training and much more.

This law is over 20 years old and has many amendments. An entire industry has developed around it. I suggest you get your information from the original source, OSHA at the Dept. of Labor:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hazardcommu...ons/index.html

OSHA publishes an excellent brochure intended to assist employers with compliance. Every employee should read it too. It is titled Hazardous Communications Guidelines for Compliance. It is OSHA document no. 3111 and can be downloaded from::

http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3111.pdf

Occupation
    I looked at several manufactures websites (Essilor, Hoya, Sola and Younger) and found nothing relating to MSDS. It's not a biggie really, I've been doing this for many years and no ill effects to date. I was just curious about the implications involved with more long term exposures to the dusts created when grinding and edging the various materials optical lenses are made of.
    Since all vaccums (shop vacs) with their filters are not created equal and the effiency of these are dependant on the diligance of the operator. There is no way that all dusts can be contained or captured with this type of setup with any degree of certainty. I am sure that most labs have this very same configuration of waste collection in daily use. We have 4 of these in our lab 1 of which is hooked up to the freeform that also uses a coolant mist during final stages of each cycle.
    Thus my main concern would be the exposure to the vapor/fumes or the like created of this coolant during the freeform operation more so than the dust excaping from the dry vacs.

Occupation
    I am concerned about the dust from the edged lenses. Anyone have info on inhaling those? Does anyone wear face masks to protect against over inhalation?

Occupation

Polycarb Concerns

I don’t want to appear to be an alarmist, but come-on you guys. Search the word “lung” on this website and see the consensus on the effects from long-term lab exposures.

We may have superior vapor/dust filters and collection systems. But most of these systems do not scrub the hazardous gasses from the air. A cocktail of gases result from the evaporation of lab chemicals and lens-grinding where heat turns solids to gasses. Use whatever system you have, but always use safer chemicals and vent to the outside.

And don’t forget that the grinding of lenses may place lens dust in the air. You have a health problem if that white dust is covering everything. That means you’re breathing those dust particles. They like to stick to the wet tissues of your lungs and just may stay there because your body does not reject the material.

Occupation

A Correction Is Needed

Chris

Although you have experience in a number areas relating to the optical industry, a series of corrections need to be provided on a few matters of safety, which you have stated incorrectly on this website

The correct information

1. At all times, AR strippers needs to be handled with gloves, goggles, mask and proper lab attire. AR stripper is most dangerous when it is being mixed. (some vendors sell kits of a dry powder or flake and you mix it yourself) This is extremely dangerous. Never use any metal (spoon or dish) in this mixing process. Use of metal causes an explosive gas to be emitted. Only use plastic. Proper ventilation is required. We strongly suggest purchasing AR stripper premixed which is significantly safer to handle.
    2. Many heated chemicals give off vapors. Not fumes. There is a difference.
    3. Odorless does not equal safety.
    4. Chemicals may emit vapors and gases whether they are being heated or at room temperature.
    5. Adding water or being water-based does not make something non-toxic or biodegradable. It just means water is a major ingredient.
    6. Not all glycol ingredients are toxic. Many are used in cosmetics, toothpaste and food products we consume.

A general comment regarding safety

Sometimes it takes a number of years before you realize you have a problem. The classic example is smoking. The laboratory where you make lenses is a factory. Proper ventilation, attire and tools just make good business sense and is respectful to the employees.

Thank you

Larry Kahn

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did a lot of research on this last year for obvious reasons...

The powders/dust from the various lenses can coat the lungs and cause a condition on par with silicosis...Evidence of this is seen more in dental laboratories more so than optical labs..but it can happen.

The various hard coats used can cause problems with breathing, lung/kidney function, and the central nervous system. This can occur with a single acute exposure (think leak and taking hours to clean w/o the level of protection you should have ie.. hazmat suit!) or from long term exposure and having levels of the various chemicals build up in your bloodstream and tissues.

The industry is considered safe compared to many manufacturing and industrial jobs. However this is if ALL safety measures are followed.

You probably won't have an issue with edging a handful of jobs a day.. however if you are doing dozens I would have some level of concern if you don't have proper ventilation and filtering. From my lab days, I seem to recall more dust from generating lenses and handstone/groover work..The majority of edgers are enclosed and use either water or vacuum systems to contain dust... but my attitiude anymore is "Why risk it?"

I miss the lab, and I really miss making the glasses myself and doing the "tricky but fun" stuff. However I must admit that now that I have been out of the lab for a full year, I can breathe a hell of a lot easier. Of course, I believe that had my work place had adequate ventilation and proper measures were taken, I could have returned to lab work at least part time...

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation

Blue Jumper Triggered for a response..........................

Quote Originally Posted by LKahn View Post
    Chris

Although you have experience in a number areas relating to the optical industry, a series of corrections need to be provided on a few matters of safety, which you have stated incorrectly on this website
    Actually I do have several degrees in the optical field, been born into it and have just about practised in nearly every optical field over the last 50 years. My company exist's since 1981 and has come out with numerous inventions that are today in daily use in the field over the last 26 years. I believe that I am enough qualified to talk about products I have developed over that time span.
    As far as I know you only joined the optical group from a total different pasture, about a year ago after taking over the old Action Services and renaming them. Furthermore my website in the name of "optochemicals" (first published in1997) sounds very close to yours "opticalchemicals". Coincidence?

The correct information
    1. At all times, AR strippers needs to be handled with gloves, goggles, mask and proper lab attire. AR stripper is most dangerous when it is being mixed. (some vendors sell kits of a dry powder or flake and you mix it yourself) This is extremely dangerous. Never use any metal (spoon or dish) in this mixing process. Use of metal causes an explosive gas to be emitted. Only use plastic. Proper ventilation is required. We strongly suggest purchasing AR stripper premixed which is significantly safer to handle.
    I actually invented the pre-mixed AR stripper in 1985 and have sold it forever around the world. So, I guess you make a good recommandation 21 years after the fact. Besides that, our proven AR stripper takes it all off at room temperature in 5 to 10 seconds. Furthermore our formula contains a total of only 11.5% of an acid mix which makes it the least dangerous product on the market.

2. Many heated chemicals give off vapors. Not fumes. There is a difference.
    3. Odorless does not equal safety.
    4. Chemicals may emit vapors and gases whether they are being heated or at room temperature.
    5. Adding water or being water-based does not make something non-toxic or biodegradable. It just means water is a major ingredient.
    I fully agree with you on above.............it just depends what is in the water and at what quantity.
    I guess ................maybe I should call the fumes .......vapour.......in future. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Not all glycol ingredients are toxic. Many are used in cosmetics, toothpaste and food products we consume.

I must assume that is why you claim the Neutralizer in your product line being made from food grade materials.

Also, I remember a lawsuit in NewYork about 15 years ago, when a lab technician got badly burned by Neutralizer he had spilled on his apron and then lit a cigarette. My company was accused to be the supplier, but then could prove that it was not us, but a Miami based tint company.

Occupation

Right-On Cassandra JUBILEE

Silicosis, a form of pneumoconiosis, was originally called “GRINDER’S DESEASE” and is similar to black lung or miner’s lung. Inflammation, lesions and scarring of lung tissues are caused by the accumulation of inhaled dust. Your lungs will react to synthetic polyester dusts in the same way.

The problem is that our bodies do not reject the dust material so we don’t cough it up and get rid of it. The dust just accumulates in our lungs. The pulmonary process weakens and your lungs ultimately fail.

Ventilate, filter, exhaust, protect.

Thread Information