Thread: Best ways for Eyecare Professionals to use the Internet

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Best ways for Eyecare Professionals to use the Internet

I have been asked to cover this topic in a short presentation at Eyequest. The questions I pose to you are:

1. How do you use the Internet in your business and career?

2. What are the best Internet resources for eyecare professionals?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    • Research
      Get product info
      Share ideas with others in the field
      Online buiness card = free marketing
      Online ordering
      Post resume online
      Trying to organize local professionals and get them to communicate with each other
      Help other local professionals set up an internet presence
      Download Licensure/Apprentice forms

These are just a few examples. There are many, many more.
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 05-13-2001 at 10:04 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Hi,
    I have been using yhe net for last 1 and a half year.
    From professional point of view I use it for:
    *searching and studying study material which will give me more knowledge on my profession
    *Keeping upto date with what's new in the markets
    *keeping in touch with collegues
    *communicating with others and sharing views and knowledge through sites like optiboard

some sitesI like are:
    revoptom.com
    drergo.com
    ciba vision site
    sola
    optiboard etc.

Bad address email on file Rick-Strong's Avatar

Redhot Jumper

-> We use the internet for inter-office communications. Almost like an intranet. It is a great way to relay messages.
    -> Used to obtain information
    -> Discussion forms are an excellant way to communicate with fellow professional`s and see what is working in different area`s and what problems others are having with products.

I have been lurking on Opti-Board for several years and would have to say it has been personally my best resource.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    OptiBoard has to be one of the most useful tools I've found on the 'Net. I haven't been in a better organized optical discussion forum yet!

We use the Net to introduce patients to information concerning our services, eye conditions, and our personnel. Information is the biggest benefit the Internet offers.

I also think the Net will also be used more and more to take over phone communications- e.g., letting people know the status of their eyewear, reminding them of their next appointment, etc.

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up

I use the internet for:
    Transmitting traces to lab.
    Ordering uncut lenses.
    Ordering stock lenses and frames.
    Filing insurance.
    Research
    Contacting some of our patients

Some sites I like are:
    OptiBoard
    National Federation of Opticianry Schools
    National Academy of Opticianry
    O. A. A.
    Sola Optical
    Transitions
    Essilor

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Best ways for Eyecare Professionals to use the Internet

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Machol
    [B]I have been asked to cover this topic in a short presentation at Eyequest. The questions I pose to you are:

By being connected with fellow professionals, industry, and clients.
    2. What are the best Internet resources for eye-care professionals?
    Educational Institutions, Manufacturing companies and OptiBoard
    Sam Hamdani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    As a consultant to retailers, independants and vendors in about equal levels, the internet is perhaps my most valuable research tool. Competitor web sights are one of my resources for determining market positioning of that entitiy. If I'm dealing with a vendor project which includes market expansion, I utilize search engines to determine small chains and independants in market segments that the vendor should expand sales in. I also utilize search engines and email servors using specific key words in an attempt to locate optical professionals when I am recruiting on behalf of a client. I monitor product launches through the web as well because these often appear on company sights long before they are published by the trades. Vision Monday is valuable to me in monitoring the dynamics of change in the industry as well as it's fast links to the trading histories of the public companies. Optiboard is my best source for "keeping an eye on the pulse" so to speak. In fact I hate to admit it but I read it much more than I post due to time limitations. This is probably not very fair of me to pick ideas and not to return them as frequently as I probably could contribute something of value. I'll try to do better! I research many web sights for education programs being offered both by professional organizations and vendors due to the fact that often when writing a strategic plan one of my recommendations is increase in education as an added value to retaining quality employees or in the case of vendors as a differentiation against competitor similiar product. I could go on and on as I spend an average of 4 hours a day on the web in direct support of my work. Several other sights I use are SightStreet, Optisearch, 2020VisionSource and the stock exchange sights. Hope this helps and by the way I sure wish I had made it to the Optiboarders gathering at Expo East but it fell right when I was in a meeting. Hope to still meet you one day Steve.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use the internet EVERY day for ordering and research. The list of websites that I use is about 75 entries long.

If you want to keep up with the newest wizzbanger out on the market......this is where you are going to find it.

Occupation
    I've found the net to provide more objective information than what I could expect to hear in a seminar from a local colleague. Since we are from all over the world, we are not direct competitors with each other and therefore can share our sales strategies and other business related information more openly.

We have an informational web page that we also publish on our business cards and office stationary. Our goal has been not to get highly involved in e commerce but to establish a low profile prescence until we have a better idea of which direction the optical industry will move with the internet.

Thanks to Steve, Optiboard and a fresh cup of coffee is a great way to start the work day.

Kevin

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Re: Best ways for Eyecare Professionals to use the Internet

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    I have been asked to cover this topic in a short presentation at Eyequest. The questions I pose to you are:

I use the internet frequently to keep up on the latest and greatest in the optical world. There are unlimited resources available to search on any eye related topic.

As a recruiter (part of my job), I use the internet to get out the information about openings I have in my region.

I also use the internet to research topics that we want to share with the district managers, store managers and associates on the different product offering and lenses we have.

I use the optiboard posts frequently for neat sites and additional resources to pass on. I enjoy reading the threads and keeping up on the industry since I am out of the field (hands-on) now after over 11 years. As a licensed optician, it helps me to keep my feet wet.

I enjoy communicating with the various characters on the Optiboard and making new aquaintances.

I think Jo covered about all of them!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve................I have been using the internet, recently, to research companies' products and technology for articles I am writing. I do find that quite a few sites are not updated. Mostly frame companies.

The best internet resource for research and polls is the Optiboard.

Jackie L

Thread Information