Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this progress?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    The way I see it is that these "evil chains" are causing the general public to loose respect for Opticianry. This is just my opinion, but if you walk into a "chain" store, the chances you're working with a licensed optician are slim. Instead, you're given the runaround by someone with little training and a name tag. Now, in the eyes of the consumer, "You guys don't know anything, and you're just trying to sell me junk I don't need!"

We need to give consumers more credit than they are getting.

Consumers habits are based on their experiences. If they go to a chain store and consistently receive excellent care (I know, but lets just pretend:D ), then that's where they will continue to go. If they receive poor service, they don't blame the profession, they blame the company.

If you got you're car washed and there were spots all over it when it was done, would you never get your car washed again, or would you pay a little more and go someplace better the next time?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We need to give consumers more credit than they are getting.

Consumers habits are based on their experiences. If they go to a chain store and consistently receive excellent care (I know, but lets just pretend:D ), then that's where they will continue to go. If they receive poor service, they don't blame the profession, they blame the company.

If you got you're car washed and there were spots all over it when it was done, would you never get your car washed again, or would you pay a little more and go someplace better the next time?
    The constant bombardment with advertising leads to a skewed viewpoint though. The optical industry is something that the average person has no clue about.

Consumer habits are heavily based on advertising. Others have pointed out before that many who have a bad experience with Lenscrafters will go to the other Lenscrafters in town!

The other thing we deal with constantly is the price issue. How do you compare quality for products you know nothing about? The recent Consumer Reports eyeglass article was based on a survey sent to readers, not due to any kind of shopping comparison. The only price comparison made didn't even compare the same frame! Private opticals came out on top but suffered on price perception. We all know that for the exact same product the private optical will come out on top most of the time and yet consumers still think we're all more expensive because they can get half price lenses elsewhere.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

evil corporations

The point of these evil corporations is that they don't care! I know as these entities grow larger they lack control of ownership. This allows them to be open for particular negligence. For example the inabilty to have a uniform way of managing an optical unit. The inabilty for them to manage their own personell. And as everyone knows it is sad when we become burnt out and don't care about the daily days in, and days out stuff. I have caught opticians burnt out so much, by these corporate entities they let their own professional license elapse. It was brought to a regional manager. He told one of them he is unable to work, and the other one continued to work after a lecture from him. What sort of legal implication does this bring to Luxottica? What does this mean to us licensed opticians? The evil corporation does want to deregulate us. what should we do?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gino:

I have yet to see a touchy feely Doctor's optical office. Our lot is to do or die, collect a small paycheck, learn as much as possible and feel around for a bigger paycheck.
    Do you think any corporation optical or otherwise really cares?
    Do you think unions really care?
    It's all about money and power.
    Welcome to the real, live adult world.

Chip

If you want touchy feely, stay with the family pizza parlor.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ziggy, I agree that there needs to be some sort of unified message that opticians can all agree on and get out there. Unfortunately, as demonsatrated here some opticians would rather castrate an idea on how to create change, than do something. I don't necessarily agree that taking the day off of work would acomplish too much, however; I think I get the idea. If no licensed optician were to show to work on a specific day it would make the news and would get attention. I think that is an idea and would encourage others to come up with more ideas and discuss them, instead of shoot them out of the water.

Someone also mentioned that some of these optical organizations get money from the same companys that are lobbying to get rid of licensure, this is quite evident from the fact that there has not been any change to better opticianry in I don't know how long. (some of you older guys/gals may know how long) I feel as though opticianry is in a rut, the organizations are run by people who don't seem to be in touch with reality.

I have heard much talk on this board about how the various orgnizations will not allow them to help. This is a shame that their are so many willing opticians and no one tht wants that help. I think I will starta poll just to get an idea of how many people have been turned away when they tried to volunteer.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Anyone thought of this

Anyone thought of fussin a little when optical manufacturer's give grants, etc. to Optometry or Ophthalmology and nothing to Opticianry?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Anyone thought of fussin a little when optical manufacturer's give grants, etc. to Optometry or Ophthalmology and nothing to Opticianry?

Chip
    GREAT QUESTION
    Paul:cheers:

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    If no licensed optician were to show to work on a specific day it would make the news and would get attention. I think that is an ide
    a and would encourage others to come up with more ideas and discuss them, instead of shoot them out of the water.
    I agree that it is an idea. But I’ll leave it at that. If you are looking for ideas on what to do, look no further than the mirror. Do we really think we can just sit around and wait for some organization to make a difference? For every Optician that complains about what 'so and so' is doing there is another Optician out there waiting for their chance to show what they can do. For each story of failure, there is a story of success. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would venture to guess there are more Independent eye clinics now than there were 20 years ago. There are also more retail optical outlets now than there was 20 years ago.

Again, I continue to read this thread, confused, bewildered, and unable to comprehend exactly what it is some of you are looking for. Am I over simplifying things when I say you get out what you put in? If you don't like your lot in life, change it! There is no better time to make a change than right now, on your own, with your own effort. Sit around and wait for someone to help you all you want, meanwhile hardworking self motivate people (and organizations) are out there making changes to pass you.

WI is an unlicensed state. Cherry Optical has taken upon ourselves to promote throughout our entire lab the importance of taking pride in the work we produce. Our laboratory and customer service Opticians have taken upon themselves to put in the extra time to become ABO Certified. As of today’s date, nearly 1/2 the company is ABOC and the remaining half are actively studying for their accreditation this November.

Adam

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Congratulations..............

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post

Cherry Optical has taken upon ourselves to promote throughout our entire lab the importance of taking pride in the work we produce. Our laboratory and customer service Opticians have taken upon themselves to put in the extra time to become ABO Certified. As of today’s date, nearly 1/2 the company is ABOC and the remaining half are actively studying for their accreditation this November.
    Adam
    Adam ..............congratulations for a good move that for sure will pay off.

Question............You are not about to start a CC (Cherry Optical) retail chain ??????

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How many of you attended the 2006 National Optician's Convention in Atlanta this past August?

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Adam ..............congratulations for a good move that for sure will pay off.

Question............You are not about to start a CC (Cherry Optical) retail chain ??????
    Chris:

We wouldn't know what to do with all that money! So no. But we might be able to drive fancy cars.... ;)

Adam

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson

Chip
    I posed that same question a while ago about a grant that essilor gave to optometry and why opticianry does not recieve the number of grants or dollar figures that optometry does and I was chastised for even mentioning it. I am glad that you mentioned it again here.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Chip
    Of course not! I think that many of them are happy enough just to exist, and not step on anyone's toes.

I didn't even look at this years list of speakers at the East West Optometric Conference last week, but in past years, when there is an optician speaking, such as Optiboarder #####, they would not list the title "optician", after his name. I noticed this for the last few years.

On the other hand, I do realize that ODs are much more involved in the decision making (signing checks) than opticians, so it would only make sense that corporations would cater to them. Also, there still are some big companies out their (Marchon and some large labs come to mind) that support opticianry on a local level. These companies should be highlight in optician circles.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    I agree that it is an idea. But I’ll leave it at that. If you are looking for ideas on what to do, look no further than the mirror. Do we really think we can just sit around and wait for some organization to make a difference? For every Optician that complains about what 'so and so' is doing there is another Optician out there waiting for their chance to show what they can do. For each story of failure, there is a story of success. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would venture to guess there are more Independent eye clinics now than there were 20 years ago. There are also more retail optical outlets now than there was 20 years ago.

Again, I continue to read this thread, confused, bewildered, and unable to comprehend exactly what it is some of you are looking for. Am I over simplifying things when I say you get out what you put in? If you don't like your lot in life, change it! There is no better time to make a change than right now, on your own, with your own effort. Sit around and wait for someone to help you all you want, meanwhile hardworking self motivate people (and organizations) are out there making changes to pass you.

WI is an unlicensed state. Cherry Optical has taken upon ourselves to promote throughout our entire lab the importance of taking pride in the work we produce. Our laboratory and customer service Opticians have taken upon themselves to put in the extra time to become ABO Certified. As of today’s date, nearly 1/2 the company is ABOC and the remaining half are actively studying for their accreditation this November.
    I would hope that there are more independant eye clinics now than their were 20 years ago, but that is decieving; how many of them are owned by opticians? How many 20 years ago were owned by opticians? what percentages are we looking at? Is your entire crew becoming ABO certified really a acomplishment when the test is getting easier and easier?

Maybe opticians such as yourself are the problem. The organizations are run by independant opticians. The majority of opticians are not independant. Independant opticians face the same problems that corporations would if opticianry were a licensed trade, higher payroll.

I do well in my state licensed or not, because I am the best at what I do. No one from the Baltimore, MD area will doubt that. You dobt that because I am not in your area takeing your business. I am concerned that opticianry as a field is being destroyed, my paychecks are fine and I take 5 percent of my money and put it back into opticianry, by hosting sites to give free information and education away, buying books and scanning them into digital format to give to people that have asked or cannot afford them, creating free software for opticians and donating glasses to children with need in my area. I am succesful and I get frustrated with individuals that try to SHUT ME UP when my gripe is why can't every optician be succesful.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    buying books and scanning them into digital format to give to people that have asked or cannot afford them,
    Ummm....do you get permission from the copyright holders for this?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    Ummm....do you get permission from the copyright holders for this?
    Sure ;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    i don't know what is going here?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

evil corporations

Well folks there will be another layoff. The evil corporation will shut down one of their central labs. What do you guys think? They are also in the midst of laying off half of their opticians. I know that some of "us" have stock in this corporation, so cheers to you guys and sorry to us poor workers.:drop:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Progress?

This is why I only work for independents.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gino View Post
    Well folks there will be another layoff. The evil corporation will shut down one of their central labs. What do you guys think? They are also in the midst of laying off half of their opticians. I know that some of "us" have stock in this corporation, so cheers to you guys and sorry to us poor workers.:drop:
    Are you talking about the Lux/LC/Sears conglomerate?

When you say "they are also in the midst of laying off half of their opticians", is that a particular branch of the company or a region? What brings you to that conclusion?

Thread Information