Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your typical working day like?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Originally posted by harry a saake
    :cheers: SAM, Where have you been old buddy, great to see you back. I am still in N. C. in the same old shop doing the same old thing, mostly selling and dispensing. Harry A. Saake L.D.O.
    Harry My Old Buddy:
    Actually you are on my buddy list on the major IPOs. So I could see you every time you came on line, but I didn't want to interrupt you. I took some time off to drive around and see this awesome country. If I keep on expressing the beauty of this land for the rest of my life I won’t be able to.
    Thanks
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post Q & A

The new OptiBoard does have a ton of new features. If anyone gets stuck on anything follow this link to the Q & A Forum and take a look around. If you don't see your question listed, contact one of the moderators and we will try to answer it.

:idea:

-Jo

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Hi, my name is Steve and I'm an OptiBoardaholic. I wake up in the morning and immediately go to my computer to check email and look at the latest postings on the Board. I then take a quick break to make myself a mocha, then jump back on the computer to find out the latest happenings with the bulletin board software that runs OptiBoard. By the time I'm done with this there's more email and postings to check.

When I get caught up with these I then put a little work into the design of the board and other behind the scences maintenance. I also post job ads and resumes for people on the Optical Help Wanted Page. I then........

Geez, I need to get a life!!!

Dear Steve:
    You don't know that don't know how much contribution you have made to the Optical Industry. Actually you have helped us all to take our Industry to the next level.
    You are a very humble man
    Thanks for what you do.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by stephanie
    Hi Sam!! My name is Stephanie. I work in MD office now that I am out of "that chain". My day consists of taking pts histories, VA's, ocular pressures, refraction(haven't quite mastered that one yet) assisting the doctors in the exam room, using slit lamp to eval pt's angles, sometimes help in the dispensary, teaching pt's to use and care for cls. And all day listening to the same elderly people say "is it N??" ME: no Mrs. Jones it is a number..."is it R???" ME: No Mrs. Jones it is a number...ahhhhh!!!! Most of my poor people are so sick though you just can't get aggravated at them. Mostly I just feel very sorry for them. Of course sometimes you really feel like you could use a very strong narcotic when you are done!! LOL!! I have a very good job and I really enjoy what I do for a living.
    Have a great day!
    Steph
    Dear Stephanie:
    Unprofessionalism, greed and hunger for the quick buck is becoming more and more popular. People like you are becoming rare. We certainly need more Stephanies in this world. But please don't work for free, we need you stay in business.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Suzy W
    Hi Sam. I'm Suzy and work for an independent OD. Our office is in a fairly small farming community, so everyone gets to wear lots of hats in the office. During a normal day I dispense, adjust, repair, frame style, order (cl's and spec's) , verify, etc, etc. LOL
    It's a small, busy office where I first came into the optical world.
    I like being in a small office and town. I am really getting a chance to know my patients. And they are kind enough to come back and tell me where I have gone wrong with their glasses.

Suzy..... from somewhere on the oregon/idaho border
    Suzy:
    I know exactly where you are from. You are a very lucky person to
    be in such a nice setting and a beautiful state.
    Thanks for responding to my thread.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Jo
    Hi Sam:

I'm Joann from Bridgeport, CT and I have been working for an independent OD for the last three months. Before that I had worked for a large chain and an independent optician for awhile.

I guess I am currently wearing many hats. I do almost all of the finish lab work in our small lab. I also sell, fit and dispense. Although we have folks whose main jobs are to place frame/lens orders and handle insurance issues, sometimes when its busy or they aren't in for the day I get my hands into that. Customer service kind of goes hand in hand with all of the above.
    Joann:
    I mostly work in Mass, but live in Connecticut. I love driving you can tell. Actually I don’t want to move to Mass because I own a beautiful house in CT which I don't want to sell.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Bad address email on file Rick-Strong's Avatar

Redhot Jumper

Howdy
    Rick Strong, Optician Nova Scotia

When I am not at work, I sit behind my PC writing software.
    My wife is also an Optican so :angry: when I am not at work, or writing code, I am arguing with her about products.(hehehe)

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Redhot Jumper

Sam, Sorry ya didn't come by, Darris and Chad aren't in Saint Antonio(?), they be in San Angelo. That's sort of out in the middle of west Texas, you sort of have to be intending to go there, since it's not in anybody's neighborhood! i weight train too, but I'm not sure at my age you could call it "body building", Al.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Smilie

Hi Sam,

It's nice to meet you too.

No, my name isn't Ukranian. I just used my last name initial after my first name for a username.

My last name is Vaughn (Welsh, although my branch of the family
    evidently couldn't spell it correctly).

I was in Boston last year on my way to Maine, and enjoyed the the visit.

Look me up if you ever stray this far South.

Mike

Bad address email on file Di822's Avatar
    Hi...I am Diane. I live in Bossier City, La (soon to be the next Las Vegas). I work for two Ophthalmologist in a hospital. I have been with this Dr. for 11 years. Before that I came from Eyemasters, and Pearle Vision in Georgia. I manage an optical shop of 3 opticians. Together we sell close to 100 Varilux a month. It is very fast paced and hectic. We also handle all the contact prescriptions and teachings. I think I am getting too old for this job. I am in need of a "quiet cubicle." I guess you could say I spend my day running in circles.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Welcome back, Sam!

My name is Blake, and I work for the Evil Empire (I mean Lenscrafters) in Mobile, Alabama. I have worked there part time for 3 1/2 years (the rest of my time is spent studying electrical engineering at the University of South Alabama, from which I will graduate in August!).
    I started out as a "frame stylist", and kept getting frustrated because I didn't know it all :p So I read everything in sight (including this board), hung out in the lab, and soon I had enough knowledge I decided to take the ABO exam. Then I decided I wanted to work in the lab. It took a lot of begging, but eventually I became a lab person. So now my work days are spent generating, fining, polishing, and all that fun stuff!

And I still don't know it all!

Blake

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Re: Work Day

Originally posted by chip anderson
    Make Artificial Eyes, Fit Contact Lenses, Dispense Glasses and put up with whatever the patients/customers dish out.

Chip Anderson
    Jackson, Ms.

And Sam while we are at it, where are you from? We notice that your optiboard signature doesn't say.:bbg:
    My signature 218252 is actually password to enter my web-site
    http://www.eddinfo.com/hamadani

But to answer your question. I mostly work in Mass, but live in Connecticut. I love driving you can tell. Actually I don’t want to move to Mass because I own a beautiful house in CT which I don't want to sell.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great attitude

Originally posted by specs13
    I have my own independant optical on SW Florida gulf coast. I have the services of an O.D. that comes in from an Ophthalmology group a few days a week. I have a pretty complete finishing lab. I too where many hats during the course of a day. I opened the practice from scratch in 1984. I love to fish and I live in the right place to be doing it.
    Specs13:

Great attitude
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ap ko mil ke khsi whoi

Originally posted by ashish
    Hi .
    I am Ashish. i have my own practice in New Delhi. I do dispensing myself along with 2 salesmen. refraction and contact lenses is my own job, while for lab work I have two workmen. We have a shall in house lab for finishing Rx lenses in glass. As for plactic we source it from outside labs which give as same day service
    Thanks for your respons
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My passport has Australian stamp

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corey Nicholls
    [B]Sam,

My name is Corey Nicholls.

I am from Canberra, Australia (Canberra is the capital city of Australia). That is a little fib, I actually live in a little town next door to Canberra by the name of Queanbeyan.

I am a qualified Optical Mechanic, and Optical Dispenser. I have been in the industry for 14 years working in both lens surfacing and retail.

At the moment I work as an Optical Dispenser for three optometrists in Canberra. I dispense, edge and fit spectacles in two practices (not both at once).

Good to have you back on board sam!

Corey

Hi Corey:
    I am so very pleased to have a response from Australia.
    I have already lots of friends in Australia and now I am putting your name on the list as well.
    Thanks
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Sam what is new with yourself?

Originally posted by Jo
    Hi Sam:

It has been so long since you have visited OptiBoard, you have to fill all of us in too. I see you took some time to do some traveling. What have you been up to as far as work?

Jo:
    I didn't work much for the whole time I was away from the OptiBoard. I like what I do and am a workaholic too. However I wanted to learn more about my new country (United States of America). I love every state of this awesome country
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Rick-Strong
    Howdy
    Rick Strong, Optician Nova Scotia

When I am not at work, I sit behind my PC writing software.
    My wife is also an Optican so :angry: when I am not at work, or writing code, I am arguing with her about products.(hehehe)
    www.pehc.com

[IMG]www.pehc.com [/IMG]
    Rick:
    Nice website
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Di822
    Hi...I am Diane. I live in Bossier City, La (soon to be the next Las Vegas). I work for two Ophthalmologist in a hospital. I have been with this Dr. for 11 years. Before that I came from Eyemasters, and Pearle Vision in Georgia. I manage an optical shop of 3 opticians. Together we sell close to 100 Varilux a month. It is very fast paced and hectic. We also handle all the contact prescriptions and teachings. I think I am getting too old for this job. I am in need of a "quiet cubicle." I guess you could say I spend my day running in circles.
    Hi Diane:
    You said you moved to LA from Georgia. Do you know Bob R. Founder and Chairman of NAOO from GA?
    Thanks for your response.
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Blake
    Welcome back, Sam!

And I still don't know it all!

Blake
    Blake: So are you gonna stay with us or move on to your new profession?

Thanks
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Bad address email on file Di822's Avatar

Wink

Sorry....I don't know the one you mentioned......I haven't lived in Ga since l989, and I wasn't involved in any optical organizations at that time. So glad you like America, Sam. We take too much for granted here, however, we do know that it is the only place to live. TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture 19.jpg  

Occupation
    Sam,

I will (hopefully) graduate this August. I am currently in the process of finding an engineering position.

Blake

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Best Of Luck Blake!

Does this mean when you go to buy glasses next time you will be an engineer? Don't forget to make sure that the slots in both eyewire screws are turned the same way before you leave the store. Also, make sure you measure the amount of lens from the back of the eyewire to the back of the edge with your own pocket mm ruler to make sure both lenses have equal amounts of thickness coming out of the back of the eyewire. Then you will be a true engineer.

;)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Di822
    Sorry....I don't know the one you mentioned......I haven't lived in Ga since l989, and I wasn't involved in any optical organizations at that time. So glad you like America, Sam. We take too much for granted here, however, we do know that it is the only place to live. TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED!

Bob Rihl is his name and his NAOO has nothing to do with optical stuff. He is one of the old opticians who likes laughter and fun. And if you hang around a little bit on this thread he may find you.
    Thanks
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Originally posted by Jo
    Best Of Luck Blake!

Does this mean when you go to buy glasses next time you will be an engineer? Don't forget to make sure that the slots in both eyewire screws are turned the same way before you leave the store. Also, make sure you measure the amount of lens from the back of the eyewire to the back of the edge with your own pocket mm ruler to make sure both lenses have equal amounts of thickness coming out of the back of the eyewire. Then you will be a true engineer.

;)
    Oh, it'll be worse than that - I'll bring calipers to measure thickness!

Seriously, the relatively few engineers I've dealt with at LC have been just fine, but I'm sure some folks have their "horror stories". The funny thing is, engineers deal a lot with tolerances, so "good enough" is usually good enough. Maybe it's just a profession that attracts anal retentive personalities

Blake

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Jo
    Hi Sam:

I'm Joann from Bridgeport, CT and I have been working for an independent OD for the last three months. Before that I had worked for a large chain and an independent optician for awhile.

I guess I am currently wearing many hats. I do almost all of the finish lab work in our small lab. I also sell, fit and dispense. Although we have folks whose main jobs are to place frame/lens orders and handle insurance issues, sometimes when its busy or they aren't in for the day I get my hands into that. Customer service kind of goes hand in hand with all of the above.
    Jo:
    Do you go to COA meetings?
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Thread Information