Thread: One of those days.....

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

One of those days.....

Have you ever had one of those days... where every patient has a problem? Either its with the glasses or the price? The phone doesn't ring and you wonder if someone put an ad out telling people not to go to your store? You just feel like crawling in a whole and start thinking maybe I should mow lawns instead of owning an optical? We all know our attitudes reflect over to our patients but some days! Hope you all are having a better day...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey cheer up would ya. It could be worse....you could be me!

Seriously, if it were not for those crummy days, we would not appreciate the good ones!

Heres a toast.....to better days ahead! :cheers:

Fezz
    :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks Fezz, Feel better already!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fezz is right!

If your feel as though it sucks to be you today, Fezz is right, you should try being him. scary
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OUCH...that hurts!:D (the truth always hurts ;^) )

Fezz

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL:cheers:
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    All this 'toasting' and I have the hiccups!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient try on frames for two hours yesterday, then came back today with his wife for four and a half hours. They had it down to two frames yesterday. FOUR AND ONE HALF HOURS to decide between TWO FRAMES!!!
    They didn't buy either, because they had to think about it...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Isn't that just lovely...Like you had nothing else to do except devote your day to that! I am sure you did it with a smile but sometimes u just want to scream!! (at least I do)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know, right? I was soo close to just telling him to take the darn things home over night and come back tomorrow. Some people just don't consider such things...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Four and a half hours!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!! I hope you called out for pizza and beers. I bet the best part is that they even had insurance to beat you up even more! No wait...the real best part..they even had insurance that they waited until they were into 5th hour to tell you, and YOU DON"T EVEN PARTICIPATE IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH, double UGH

Fezz

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Naw, they just wanted to be sure they had all the info so they could go home and buy them both online!:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, actually they came in four days in a row (day one being the four hour day). Husband and wife. They did finally pick one (the one I showed them first). They have ins. but we also take it. The part that made it really ackward was that the wife was just MEAN to this guy and they were arguing in front of me. For example, she said that a certain color would look good once he dyed his hair to cover the grey. He said he wasn't going to dye his hair. She said "oh yes you are, unless you want to look ten years older and stupid!" (Looks at me) "Don't you think he should dye his hair??"
    They were 'upper class' type people and she was heavily concerned with what everyone else would think. He was just one of those beat down men "yes dear..." why does he stay and put up with that? I'm sure he's the one bringin home the paycheck...
    It's sad really. I had to go home and cook my husband a nice dinner to remind him that we'll never be like that.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I occasionally have days where nothing seems to go right... I call them "weekdays."

Isn't it nice to vent every once in a while!?!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is my week thus far..

Monday had a gentleman who initially came in for an exam and safety glasses. He has been coming to us for the past 5 years and only wanted safeties. He specifically stated when he came in for the exam that he wanted safety, picked out a safety frame, asked for Chem hardened glass lenses, and didn't want the add. Distance only.

Comes back in complaining he can't read with his glasses. Well "duh!" he refused a multifocal. Oh, and he doesn't need new safety glasses for work, so he wants to return them. Decides he wants to do progressive lenses, switch to a dress frame, and goes with CR-39. Credit his bill for the base cost of the SV lenses and orginal frame. Due to his rx, we charged and extra $10 for power. Wife calls asks why we didn't credit him for the $10. Explain to her we didn't charge it on the new, because we collected it on the old. She insists that we credit him the $10. I explain I could, but then I would have to add it in for the new set of lenses, and it would be a wash. She tells me I don't know what I am talking about and asks for all her family's records and says either I will credit the $10 or they will cancel the order again, and go somewhere else.

I walk her through the last bill, she sees where we didn't charge for it on this one. Too Bad, we should have before he took receipt. We didn't list it on his new order and therefor shouldn't be charged.

This is a family we even agreed to a payment arrangement with. He got to pick up his glasses while still owing a balance. But she wants that $10 credited now! And no, she didn't buy the offer to adjust the $10 if paid she paid me in full.

Then had a gentleman who was unhappy with the thickness of his lenses. The guy who's lenses are late (I am beginning to *really* hate Bell-Duffens) I had Davis send me a guy's lenses edged for the next frame size up for a thrid time and have the progressive troubleshoot from hell.

Ever have one of those days where you are sick and tired of saying "I'm Sorry" to every one of your patients???

Rant over
    Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, people often ask me if I miss dispensing...ummm...NO.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    After about 20 frames you know you have a "shopper" versus a "buyer".:hammer:

After about 20 frames, I start meticulously start cleaning the frames and lens after each frame is tried on. I spend at least 30 to 60 seconds on each frame cleaning them after the patient/customer tries them on, before I even start to show or suggest another frame. Don’t let them change your pace.:finger:

I start counting thereafter, after every 12 frames that they try on I ask to be excused for a few minutes (go to the bathroom, make a phone call, whatever) I also make sure that the receptionist knows I need to be interrupted and asked some specific question about a patient/customer at their desk, so I have to excuse myself. Or I call my wife and ask her to call me every 10 mins.:idea:

The worst thing you can do is to keep having them try on new frames. If they haven’t found a frame they like in the first 20 or so that they like cosmetically from just looking in a case, they just won’t find anything they like period. It’s a downward spiral. :shiner: Hopefully they will talk to their spouse (if they brought one) or at least you are giving them time to think about what they are buying.

You might **** them off! Great, because this customer is a nightmare that will only bring the frame back with a “perceived” problem almost every time.

You might get them to start to think, rather than just react to the frames. Great, that way they will reassure themselves about what they want or don’t want.:cheers:

No matter what, this customer can not be dealt with in a “typical” manner. They must be handled differently with a specific plan or you will want to change your profession!:drop:

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    I occasionally have days where nothing seems to go right... I call them "weekdays."
    Pete, you made my day with this one. I was having a hard time finding a smile this morning. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Some people want something for nothing

Good advice, Photon.

Jubilee, we all have those "customers". I had a guy that works for one of those collection agencies tell me that 3% of the population actively tries to get something for nothing. Meaning that you will not collect the money even if you take them to court and get a judgement.
    A phychiatrist told me once that 5% of the population are sociopaths. 2% are in prison, and almost all of the rest aren't sufficiently medicated.

Has anyone had a "customer" where these two personallity traits overlapped?

Occupation
    Your day wasn't nearly as bad as Steve Wynns. Check this out:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../10274785.html

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Today we had someone bring thier glasses back that they had collected in june complaining they were wrong, they had been to one of the the multiples in town and the MAN said they were 1.00D too strong R and 0.50D too strong L. (this was while I was on lunch she left them with my student D.O) so I checked them and they were spot on to the issued Rx(not much as a suprise as I check all the pairs that come from the lab) So I phoned her back and explained that they were correct and that maybe the MAN had made a mistake. She said NO I want them like the man said they should be ! and any way I can't see through them. SO I suggested she come back for a free recheck and we have another look, this was not good enough as she is going on holiday and wants them like the man said for when she comes back ! I phoned the multiple and spoke to the man and asked if it could be transpostion as our rx prints in +ve cyl and most people work in -ve he said oh ! yeah it could be it our focimeter only does -ve cyl !

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Your day wasn't nearly as bad as Steve Wynns. Check this out:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../10274785.html

In your best Homer Simpson voice.......DOH!!!!

I heard that on the radio! Sucks to be him I guess . Oddly, the radio clip mentioned that he had retinitis pigmentosa(sp?), and that was the reason for his blunder! He lost his side vision and, well.......made a MAJOR GOOF!

Fezz

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You know, people often ask me if I miss dispensing...ummm...NO.

I start most of my talks by tipping my hat to the audience (usually comprised of opticians and optometrists). After all, you gals and guys are the ones on the front line- without you there would be no way for companies like Essilor to deliver our products to patients.

From time to time, I get the chance to "ride-along" with one of our consultants, which involves accompaning them on their visits to eye care providers. During one, I actually heard a patient indignantly stating "You sold me these scratch-proof lenses, and they scratched!"

All I could do is shake my head and try not to laugh!

So- this Bud's for you! :cheers:
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thread Information