Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rose Polarized Poly Lenses

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Rose Polarized Poly Lenses

As the title says - anyone know of the availability of RX'able Rose polarized poly lenses? Prefer a 8 base wrap...Nothing in the Frames Data Lens book - my main lab has nothing from any of their vendors. There's got to be a small company out there that can supply something like this.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Check Xcel, they MAY have it or be able to make it.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    While you may be able to order something surfaced to 8 base, there is nothing currently available in rose polarized specifically produced for 8 base wraps.

I recommend odering either the brown A from Specialty Lens or the Hi-Con Amber from Kbco and tinting over the lens (call to see if their hard coats on the poly material will take tint) to make it rose coloured.

Occupation
    Audioyoda,

I think that you would do well to contact Ice-Tech, either directly or via OptiBoard member AWTECH.

Could you settle for copper or bronze instead of "rose"? I think that would have about the same effect and get you closer to "rose" than just a standard brown, and easier to find - and you might get away without having to tint over. In addition to X-cel Optical, Specialty Lens and Kbco (as posted above), there are other possibilities (below) for Rx polarized poly, 8-base and/or 6-base ... I screened these websites to make sure of that much, at leaast.

http://www.kaenon.com/home.cfm
    http://oakley.com/
    http://www.zealoptics.com/
    http://www.hobiepolarized.com/
    http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/home.htm
    http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/index.jsp
    http://www.bolle.com/main/

Just a suggestion from someone in a related field - not an optician or optical retailer myself.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-05-2006 at 03:29 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Serengeti have a rose tint available in thier range, the disadvantage being you will have to use their frames, i think the tint is called sedona and is polarised and photochromic. Not sure about availability over there but is available in U.K.

Occupation
    Patient won't consider any other color - she suffers from severe migraines and there is a color therapy that utilizes rose tones to help reduce the pain associated with migraine headaches. We've been able to help her with her dress glasses thanks to BPI's FL-41 tint. This patient has basically been home bound for years because light is such a cause of pain for her when she has migraines - her husband passed away a few months ago and she's finding herself needing to be more self reliant. I want to get her a pair of polarized rose tone lenses for driving - she wants to mount them in a beta-ti drill mount because of the weight - until recently her glasses only added to her migraines because of their weight. Her new dress glasses are beta-ti with trivex lenses tinted with the FL-41 tint. She also has a pair of reading glasses made the same way.

She doesn't have a huge problem with driving - but driving into the sun still presents a huge challenge for her so I want to get her a polarized lens to fullfill her needs. But I'm constrained because she can't wear anything heavy - so I need something in poly or 1.67 that is either rose or a gray A that can be tinted. The closest I've found is SLC's 1.60 gray A, unfortunatly, they've changed the color from a true grey base, to a bluish grey base and it just won't tint correctly. And before anyone offers, CR-39 is simply too heavy for her - even in the beta-ti frames. She is very sensitive to weight - almost as much as she is to bright light.

The closest I've found thus far is Oakley's VR-28. I had hoped Maui Jim did their rose tone in Rx but they don't. I'm not sure how well the Oakley VR-28 will accept being tinted - she tried a pair of the planos we have in the office and the color just wasn't right for her - too brown. I might be able to add pink to it to get the color right, but I don't feel like ordering uncuts from Oakley if they are going to spoil in the tint bath.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was gonna say Oakley is probably your best bet.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could you take a Nupolar nuetral brown and use the BPI tint to make it rose? I think I'd give it try.

Occupation
    I would contact Xcel, they may make a pair or 2 for you.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper clear polarized lenses

Is there anybody that makes clear polarized lenses that can be tinted?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Nope! that would be a great project for you Chris.

OptiBoard Apprentice ottomaddox's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clear polarized? I've been looking for the same thing to. I can get a clear polarized lens for camera use, but not for RX.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Put Down the Phone and Drive

Occupation
    Clear polarized ophthalmic lenses?

It's been discussed before - as far as is known, it cannot (yet?) be done.

See http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12780

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation

clear Iodine?

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

Shame on you Chris, that was uncalled for.

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

Bourbon inspired:shiner:

quote=Chris Ryser;159577]Is there anybody that makes clear polarized lenses that can be tinted?[/quote]

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Rose Polarized

Here at ICE-TECH we have a true yellow polarized, a blue polarized and a purple polarized but not a rose color.

Tinting and or a combination of mirrors may work.

Let me know the specifics of the need for the rose color is it cosmetic or does the patient think the rose will add some benefit.

What I would like to know is who is driving the desire for the rose color and why. (market research if you will)

We can have this color or almost any other produced it is just the need to know that it will sell.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by curlyclaz View Post
    Serengeti have a rose tint available in thier range, the disadvantage being you will have to use their frames, i think the tint is called sedona and is polarised and photochromic. Not sure about availability over there but is available in U.K.
    Serengeti offers glass lenses and also polycarbonate lenses called "PolarMax". The sedona (rose) tint is available in both the glass and also the polycarbonate - it doesn't say that on the Serengeti website, but I got that from another website. All their lenses are both polarized and photochromic. But I don't see anything to suggest that the PolarMax (poly) lenses are Rx'able like their glass lenses. Whether they would supply any of their lenses "ala carte" v. processed for Serengeti frames - another question.

Serengeti Eyewear and Bolle Performance Eyewear are brands of Bushnell Outdoor Products.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

What Color to use

Audiyoda said:
    But I'm constrained because she can't wear anything heavy - so I need something in poly or 1.67 that is either rose or a gray A that can be tinted.
    How strong is the Rx? Look into an ICE-TECH with Thin-ICE Technology for producing a thin light weight lens.

I would like to know more about the color needed. How was the color need determined? For the headache issue I would first make sure the polarization is 99%+ and not go with a lighter inefficient color. Even our light fashion lenses are not as efficient as the Natural Grey and Contrast Enhancing Amber. Our Contrast Enhancing ICE-TECH Amber may solve her problem. It is dark enough for full polarized performance yet light enough that it brighten up objects.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drivewear by Younger!?

Occupation
    I just did a google search using "rose color sunglass lenses: and found some polycarbonate polarized lesnes in some sunwear. You could probably contact them and see if you can get some of the lenses and maybe make a clip-on for her clear eyewear if you caccnot get rx'able blanks. Just a thought.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Drivewear by Younger!?
    Interesting suggestion - but the material is essentially CR-39 or "plastic" - not poly or high index, which seems to be a necessary criterion for this particular patient.

Open new browser window with Drivewear lenses ...

Occupation
    true

Occupation
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Here are my problems:

Must be light weight - she can't tolerate much more than the beta-titanium drill mounts she's currently wearing. Weight on her bridge increases pressure on her sinuses which adds to her migraines. So in effect, clips are out simply due to the extra weight.

Color is of utmost importance. The FL-41 tint is perscribed by her PCP and neurologist - Even if I find a poly polarized rose lens, I need to verify the color will be acceptable. This patient suffers greatly from migraines - from looking over her history, I don't think I would wish her problems on my worse enemy.

I did contact X-Cel and SLC on custom lenses - they are both options, but not in poly. The best either will do is 1.60 HI. Time frame is a bit of an issue as is cost.

As it stands, there doesn't appear to be anything I can really do to help this patient. She's not willing to pay for the custom lenses from X-Cel or SLC - basic economics of scale issue - there are no gurantee's this color will even work for her (although clinically it has helped other patients with severe migraine problems). She's considering Oakley's VR-28 lenses, but as it stands, she's holding off.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello, people! MAUI JIM! Prescription ultra light poly lenses, gorgeous styles, high quality, rose tint!
    Audiyoda-check with Maui Jim. They are (IMO) the highest quality polarized lens on the market. They fit all the requirements you set. They are good people and they stand behind their products.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

zclips

a polycarbonate polarized clip would be an inexpensive option for this patient. zclips are customized magnetic clips for any frame. they add virtually no weight to the lens and are not $$$$$$$$$$ like the custom lenses you are talking about. PM me for more info.

Thread Information