Thread: Urgent..i Need A Little Help

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Urgent..i Need A Little Help

hi eveyone...i'm one of the FBDO's students and wil take the final dispensing practical exam on coming november...i jus wanna gain some information regarding the sola graduate ,sola xl and sola xl gold..

can anyone tell me the specification of the mentioned progressive lens?such as fitting height, reading portion diameter and etc that i need to know...

thank you very much and hope to c the reply soon.....

:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well..tried b4 but i can't get wat i need ...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Here is a link for a chart that would give you some great info on different progressives.

http://www.laramyk.com/learn/progressive_lens_chart.pdf
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Here is a link for a chart that would give you some great info on different progressives.

Are this chart always updated? It's very useful, although we handle for certain lenses only.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

F.b.d.o

Hi I sat the F.B.D.O exams three years ago hope I can help
    The sola graduate is a hard design which basically means the distortion is kept towards the lower portion of the lens but is quite marked so as soon as the eye wanders from the channel it will give a lot of distortion, the intermediate area is really narrow but the near area is quite wide the fitting height is 22mm, I would generally only give this to someone who has worn it for years , but could be good for someone who needs very little or no intermediate work i.e. a house wife.
    The sola xl is a soft design, this means there is less distortion than the graduate but this creeps futher into the distance area. But this lens has a wider area for intermediate use and a smaller area for near use. this would be a better option for a computer user. fitting height is also 22 mm I think.
    XL gold is an ultrasoft or firm design in mid index 1.537 material this has even less distortion which again is limited to the lower portion of the lens it is a general purpose lens. height as before I think.

Hope this is all correct as I don't use sola much anymore.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well,since u don't use sola so often,is that any progressive lens that u are fimiliar which i need 1 type of hard design,1 type of soft design, 1 type of firm design, and 1 type of short corridor design..hope to hear u soon and my practical will be on 6th of next month....quick nervous now...:o

Quote Originally Posted by curlyclaz View Post
    Hi I sat the F.B.D.O exams three years ago hope I can help
    The sola graduate is a hard design which basically means the distortion is kept towards the lower portion of the lens but is quite marked so as soon as the eye wanders from the channel it will give a lot of distortion, the intermediate area is really narrow but the near area is quite wide the fitting height is 22mm, I would generally only give this to someone who has worn it for years , but could be good for someone who needs very little or no intermediate work i.e. a house wife.
    The sola xl is a soft design, this means there is less distortion than the graduate but this creeps futher into the distance area. But this lens has a wider area for intermediate use and a smaller area for near use. this would be a better option for a computer user. fitting height is also 22 mm I think.
    XL gold is an ultrasoft or firm design in mid index 1.537 material this has even less distortion which again is limited to the lower portion of the lens it is a general purpose lens. height as before I think.

Hope this is all correct as I don't use sola much anymore.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

thank you very much......really very useful....thanks a lot

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What lenses do you use at the moment ? it is better to try and use something you know about rather than try and learn a whole load of new lenses on top of all the other stuff you need to know for your exams ! If you are not sure of the designs post a reply and I will try and help you I know when I was studying I couldn't alway get the info I needed (hadn't discovered handy forums like this).

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Contact Darryl Meister - he is the SOLA lens guru. You can find his contact information through the member list above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What lenses do you use at the moment ? it is better to try and use something you know about rather than try and learn a whole load of new lenses on top of all the other stuff you need to know for your exams ! If you are not sure of the designs post a reply and I will try and help you I know when I was studying I couldn't alway get the info I needed (hadn't discovered handy forums like this).

Ok then...if i meet any trouble then i'll seek for your help huh...u took your abdo in UK??i'm a distant learning student who in malaysia..nice to meet you ...my senior...:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

hi...senior bad time i'm having now just because have to memory those notes....

i'm thinking about will the result been affected if let say i choose the sola PAL's as i know there's lots of better PALs compare to sola...do u have any information regarding this?

some more,during section 1b,lens description,i should write "plastic" or "CR39"...

what's the diffrent between "convergence excess" and "accommodative esophoria"???which one i should discuss about if i meet the question in section 2b with Rx for children by using bifocal?

last one,in section 2a,sv lenses,if the comment is written "for sport", what type of the lens i should dispense?is that tinted lenses or safety lenses?

thank you very much for your help...:) oh ya...my exam date already confirm on 6th of next month...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chansc View Post
    hi...senior bad time i'm having now just because have to memory those notes....

i'm thinking about will the result been affected if let say i choose the sola PAL's as i know there's lots of better PALs compare to sola...do u have any information regarding this?

some more,during section 1b,lens description,i should write "plastic" or "CR39"...

what's the diffrent between "convergence excess" and "accommodative esophoria"???which one i should discuss about if i meet the question in section 2b with Rx for children by using bifocal?

last one,in section 2a,sv lenses,if the comment is written "for sport", what type of the lens i should dispense?is that tinted lenses or safety lenses?

thank you very much for your help...:) oh ya...my exam date already confirm on 6th of next month...
    Okay .....
    I think the main thing with the PAL's is to know your lens well and to be able to justify using it for the situation you have been given it is a good idea however to be able to use more than one supplier say sola, zeiss and essilor just in case you Rx falls out of range or a tricky examiner asks far an alternative.
    with regards to plastc or CR39 I would go with plastic unless yopu are 100% sure it is CR39 and not uncoated poly or high index.
    sorry 2b has stumped me today my brain is at home ! I will have a think and get back to you !

for 2a my feeling would be they are looking for polycarb lenses or a sports specific tint ie 'skeet' for shooting.

GOOD LUCK !

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curly:

As far as I know all lenses are either glass or plastic. CR-39, poly, etc are all plastics. It is possible to make lenses from other transparencies like quartz, diamond and other things but I don't know of anyone doing so.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay .....
    I think the main thing with the PAL's is to know your lens well and to be able to justify using it for the situation you have been given it is a good idea however to be able to use more than one supplier say sola, zeiss and essilor just in case you Rx falls out of range or a tricky examiner asks far an alternative.
    with regards to plastc or CR39 I would go with plastic unless yopu are 100% sure it is CR39 and not uncoated poly or high index.
    sorry 2b has stumped me today my brain is at home ! I will have a think and get back to you !

for 2a my feeling would be they are looking for polycarb lenses or a sports specific tint ie 'skeet' for shooting.

GOOD LUCK !

so i'm waiting your answer for section 2a huh...thank you very much..this is my final exam..hope can pass strights to the end.because it's very expensive to resit...

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post
    Are this chart always updated? It's very useful, although we handle for certain lenses only.
    Seemingly not, as it misses quite a number of newer designs and is dated 5/11/2004!

XW

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi going back to question 2b I think when I did the exam they were after an answer along the lines of juvenille stress myopia. I had this question in my viva and I think they wanted to discuss wether they thought a bifocal would help slow down the progression of myopia.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi going back to question 2b I think when I did the exam they were after an answer along the lines of juvenille stress myopia. I had this question in my viva and I think they wanted to discuss wether they thought a bifocal would help slow down the progression of myopia.
    U r right if the Rx they give is in myopia but what if the Rx is hypermetropia???it's not related to juvenille stress myopia right?

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post

I apologize. I've been slacking in keeping it up-to-date. I'm in the process of updating it now. I'll let you know when the new version is available.

Thanks,

-Keith

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbenjamin View Post
    I apologize. I've been slacking in keeping it up-to-date. I'm in the process of updating it now. I'll let you know when the new version is available.

Thanks,

-Keith
    Thanks in advance Keith.

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Ok, a new version of the Progressive Lens Chartup is up now. There are still have a few things to add, but it is a pretty significant update.

-Keith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi chasc, how did your exam go ? did they ask you about bifocals for children ? hope you can relax and enjoy your free time now:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks for concerning.everything go fine.i got my result on last monday,luckily all pass..second highest oh..haha..n again,thanks for your help.yup,they did ask about the bifocal for child,but is juvenielle stress myopia.a bit rush in section 1,because can't find the optical centre for bifocal,jus simply write the segment inset.luckily didnt affect the final result.i get about 80 marks overall.haha...now i'm registered dispensing optician already.can add title in front of my name card already.:cheers:

Hi chasc, how did your exam go ? did they ask you about bifocals for children ? hope you can relax and enjoy your free time now:D

Occupation
    Congratulations! :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well done ! really pleased for you now you can relax and enjoy being a qualified D.O:cheers:

Thread Information