Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IZON Wavefront Prog. Lenses:Post your experience

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Craig ...

I don't see any indication on the website that anything having to do with the iZon "goo" or anything else about the iZon lenses has changed. I think that Ophthonix merely changed their online presentation by removing some of the website material about the way that the aberrometer measurements are used as input to the iZon lens making gizmo.

I'm not saying that you are "wrong" on this point ... only that I would need to have it confirmed by someone with access about any any significant change(s) in the technology or manufacturing of these lenses since they were first introduced.

I just don't "see it" there on the web ...

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Craig ...

I don't see any indication on the website that anything having to do with the iZon "goo" or anything else about the iZon lenses has changed. I think that Ophthonix merely changed their online presentation by removing some of the website material about the way that the aberrometer measurements are used as input to the iZon lens making gizmo.

I'm not saying that you are "wrong" on this point ... only that I would have to have it confirmed by someone with access that there have been significant changes in the technology or manufacturing of these lenses since they were first introduced.

I just don't "see it" there on the web ...
    As Craig pointed out, I know originally there whole pitch was that they had this revolutionary material, (Craig calls it GOO), that they said was activated by a laser to change the index across the lens. I heard this pitch at Vision Expo about 2 or 3 years ago. Now they are not making this claim. They simply say they use an abberometer to get the prescription information which includes HOA and are doing something with this information.

Eyepod said earlier in this thread that they used this information to change the sphere and cylinder. I had never heard this before and don't know if this is correct or not.

With all that has been said about their technology by the company I am surprised that they still can not put together information that I can clearly understand.

I do know the message seems to have changed a great deal from introduction. Originally I was under the impression that these lenses would not have to be surfaced only corrected with the laser changing the index of the goo as needed.

I know some else that was also concerned three year ago about this as he thought that this could replace freeform equipment. He got this impression from Opthonix. He represented a large equipment manufacturer. Since they also use backside freeform PAL designs this is not the case. At the time they had not introduced their PAL.

Occupation
    How iZon® Lenses Are Made

If you look closely, that middle layer between "Front Surface" and "Back Surface" is referred to as "iZonik Material" ... that's the "goo".

That's all there is on that one web page ... just the artwork.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 12-10-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

If you look closely, that middle layer between "Front Surface" and "Back Surface" is referred to as "iZonik Material" ... that's the "goo".

It seems that the company is still leaving a some indication that the goo exists, now they are not saying as much about what it does.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The goo is just glue!

The original premise was that the goo was programed with the HOA correction, they no longer even mention it.
    The reason it is no longer mentioned is because it was never there; it only existed in sales material and financial packages promoting the technology.

The founder of the company is gone and so is the one aspect that was supposed to make the product unique to the market place.

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A FORMER EMPLOYEE OF OPHTHONIX WHO CONFIRMED THAT THEY HAVE NEVER USED THE HOA CORRECTION IN THE LENS.
    BY THE WAY, HE WAS ONE OF THE FOLKS WHO RAN THE LAB, NOT AN UNINFORMED DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEE. I WAS JUST TOLD THEY JUST HAD MORE LAYOFFS IN THE LAB AND SALES FORCE. HE IS HELPING FOLKS FIND NEW JOBS.

The truth is the truth and it will prevail in the end.

Craig

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm not sure that what I have experienced is the same but one complaint our Dr.'s wife noted was that at the very bottom of the lens, just above the eyewire it seems we run into an area of blurr costing precious
    nv clarity.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Our office trialed the Izon and had very positive results. I credit the one failure out of 6 successed due other issues where I still have not found success with this patient in any pal. Overall was the nighttime driving success remains the best while the weakest area was in the nv. While I do not completely understand every aspect of this lens I do anticipate that within the new year selling this lens. The AR is beautiful and a side note is that the packaging is worthy of a lens of this caliber.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    .25^ average isnt woth the extra $ in my book.
    equal opportunity offender!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For the price, Why not use Free-form like Identity?

Quote Originally Posted by optingoutofaname View Post
    Our office trialed the Izon and had very positive results. I credit the one failure out of 6 successed due other issues where I still have not found success with this patient in any pal. Overall was the nighttime driving success remains the best while the weakest area was in the nv. While I do not completely understand every aspect of this lens I do anticipate that within the new year selling this lens. The AR is beautiful and a side note is that the packaging is worthy of a lens of this caliber.
    Why not use the Identity and you will have at least as good dist and much better int and near?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

I heard many things but almost none of you own one...

It has been a while since I read this topic before going off to buy my own. You can talk about technologies to death but almost none of you ever own one to verify... to see if it is for real or not... with your own eyes and compare it with the other PAL that you wear.

I owned mine for 2 months now. I do not have any other PAL as this is my first PAL from single lense prescription. I have always bought my glasses from good small optician shop or doctor's office direct. I always spent about $550 average. About $300 average on lenses. I know it is high but they get it right first time.

Back to Izon, I needed a PAL and I decided to buy this one as my first. Paid $1100 total with titanium hingeless rimless with sunclip and exam fee. This is discounted price (14% off). The end result is I never had such a clear vision as this. I am not hyping this... it is exactly what Izon said...

Color contrast is incredible. The AR coating is incredible. I always had glares and rays from oncoming cars and this glasses has reduced that to about 90% reduction. Badly aimed headlight still bothers me and would blind anyone.

The prescription spitted out by the Opthonix machine is deadly accurate and the doctor has adjusted a bit further with more exam. It took about 1 month to get your glasses and it is worth your wait. I heard so many people have hard time to adjust to their first PAL... and with Izon... I had zero problem... it only took 10 minutes to get used to it.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You can talk about technologies to death but almost none of you ever own one to verify
    Actually, I own two pairs.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    attn: TIGER

It would be helpful if you would provide some information about your prescription. Are you nearsighted, farsighted, one eye much stronger than the other..? Etc.

Thanks for posting!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Wow! Instant responses... do you actually live on this board? As you requested, here is my prescription.

R: -6.37 -1.75 x 13
    L: -6.37 -2.12 x 002
    Add: +1.50

According to the Opthonix readout... my right eye got quite a bit of abberation... Trefoil is 0.12D in yellow category... which is quite a lot compared to my left eye which is almost perfect with tiny bit of abberation. The Opthonix machine reads:

R: -6.12 -1.75 x 13
    L: -6.00 -2.12 x 002

However, the doctor set it to the above after further examination. I am 35 by the way. I have many other issues with my eyes so I do know the difference that Izon lenses does for me.
    Darryl, how long have you worn your Izon? I know it probably would be alot longer than me...
    Last edited by Tiger; 01-25-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Darryl, how long have you worn your Izon? I know it probably would be alot longer than me
    I don't really wear them. I just purchased and evaluated them to see whether the vision through them was any better compared with conventional single-vision lenses. My spectacle refractions were -0.50 OU from the first optometrist and OD -0.50, OS -0.25 from the second optometrist.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ahh... you hardly need any glasses at all... You could simply get lasik and have no glasses to wear... However, you'll feel unprotected as you are not wearing glasses... LOL. I bet your eye has no serious abberation either...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Ahh... you hardly need any glasses at all... You could simply get lasik and have no glasses to wear... However, you'll feel unprotected as you are not wearing glasses... LOL. I bet your eye has no serious abberation either...

thats not a high enough Rx to be a candidate for lasik..needs to be above -1.00 i believe..and stable for 4 years (stable meaning minor changes in Rx.. a 12th here or there within that time).

-Billy
    equal opportunity offender!!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Something doth smell rotten on Optiboard...

Wow! Instant responses... do you actually live on this board? As you requested, here is my prescription.

R: -6.37 -1.75 x 13
    L: -6.37 -2.12 x 002
    Add: +1.50

According to the Opthonix readout... my right eye got quite a bit of abberation... Trefoil is 0.12D in yellow category... which is quite a lot compared to my left eye which is almost perfect with tiny bit of abberation. The Opthonix machine reads:

However, the doctor set it to the above after further examination. I am 35 by the way. I have many other issues with my eyes so I do know the difference that Izon lenses does for me.
    Darryl, how long have you worn your Izon? I know it probably would be alot longer than me...
    Consumer age 35 and a 1.50 add:hammer:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I am not a typical normal person. I do not have normal vision. While optically I seems to be normal but neurologically in retina I am impaired. I know... I know... I can't imagine wearing reading glasses but I do have some problem reading close. Add +1.50 is a little too much for me right now but is okay as my intermediate is very good and allows me to read.

My depth perception is okay but my color number test is not good at all. I didn't have this problem long ago.

I am debating whether to get another Izon... single vision instead or go for the PRIO as I do alot of computer works also.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Consumer age 35 and a 1.50 add:hammer:
    That's what I wore at that age. Started wearing bi's at about 25 or so.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No offence but...

I stand corrected. Good luck to you Tiger but are you posting within our guidelines?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I stand corrected. Good luck to you Tiger but are you posting within our guidelines?
    It's OK. Tiger did not post the refraction numbers with the purpose of asking for anyone's advice. I asked Tiger to reveal something about the refraction because I thought that would be useful for interpreting these comments from someone who is wearing iZon lenses. Now we're all on the same page.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-26-2008 at 01:36 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Why use the Izon lens over another Free Form?

The prescription spitted out by the Opthonix machine is deadly accurate and the doctor has adjusted a bit further with more exam.It took about 1 month to get your glasses and it is worth your wait. I heard so many people have hard time to adjust to their first PAL... and with Izon... I had zero problem... it only took 10 minutes to get used to it.
    If the Ophthonix machine is "Deadly accurate";
    :finger: THAN WHY WOULD THE DOCTOR CHANGE IT.:finger:
    It either gives an exam not possible by humans and is superior; or is a fancy autorefracter that gets close. If it was changed at all it indicates it did not work as expected on yourself and the doctor had to correct the machine.I could get you any of 3 different free form lenses in a few days and all would provide superior optics in the near and be much thinner. I would like to help you make the comparison at my cost. Please let me know if you would like to test other lenses.If you don't like them better than the Izon lens, I will do it at N/C.

All I ask is an honest opinion to be posted on this board for all to see. I will put my lenses where my mouth is!!
    Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused I notice you did not give your evaluation of Izon lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I don't really wear them. I just purchased and evaluated them to see whether the vision through them was any better compared with conventional single-vision lenses. My spectacle refractions were -0.50 OU from the first optometrist and OD -0.50, OS -0.25 from the second optometrist.
    As I am sure you have seen, the lens contains no discernable difference from any other -.50 you have worn.

Could you find any optical difference in power on any part of the lens to indicate the lens contained any programming to correct for high order abberations?

Was there any measurable difference between the lens sent to you by Ophthonix any stock ar coated lens?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused How does this lens correct for Trefoil?

However, the doctor set it to the above after further examination.
    The RX change indicated by the doctor means the machines exam would have left you under corrected, this was one of the issues from day 1 with the machine.
    You mention the Trefoil is in the Yellow and needs to be corrected while the left eye only has a tiny bit of abberation; THE IZON LENS DOES NOT CORRECT FOR TREFOIL. What gave you the assumtion the TRefoil was going to dealt with in any manner?
    It is just a free-form lens with goo in the middle and no ability to correct Trefoil in any way!
    The reading on the machine for High order correction is not used for any purpose other to look at pictures on the screen. The RX sent in by your doctor could have been sent to any lab to get a thinner, lighter lens with larger reading zones at almost 1/2 the price!
    I am curious as to what was told to you that was going to have impact on the Trefoil in your right eye?
    Craig

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If the Ophthonix machine is "Deadly accurate";
    :finger: THAN WHY WOULD THE DOCTOR CHANGE IT.:finger:

It either gives an exam not possible by humans and is superior; or is a fancy autorefracter that gets close. If it was changed at all it indicates it did not work as expected on yourself and the doctor had to correct the machine.I could get you any of 3 different free form lenses in a few days and all would provide superior optics in the near and be much thinner. I would like to help you make the comparison at my cost. Please let me know if you would like to test other lenses.If you don't like them better than the Izon lens, I will do it at N/C.

All I ask is an honest opinion to be posted on this board for all to see. I will put my lenses where my mouth is!!
    Craig
    I can tell you from my life experience with glasses... From when I was a kid to now... No optimetrist could get the prescription right... Only the opthamologists could get it right... well close enough so that I can see comfortably... From these doctor's prescription... optimetrist would simply make it stronger and call it a day. But after 2 times by optimetrist, it would be crap again. In my condition, affected by disease that affects my vision, it has apparently become much more difficult to give me the proper prescription.

Opthonix machine provides another tool for all doctors to accurately determine the condition of the eyes... especially the abberations that Izon talks about. However, like you mentioned, if it is deadly accurate, why did the doctor change it... Even the doctor said to me... He is only allowed to change the Sphere... nothing else is allowed to be changed or otherwise it is a whole new ballgame to play.

Computer can do all the work for you, but in the end, it is you who decides what is best for patient... That is why my doctor did a normal eye exam afterward to verify the computer... As with any patient, some of us would squint to tell the doc that I can see it good now... but that is with squinting... and This doctor actually told me... never squint... only relax and tell him if it is good or bad. I don't ever... ever recall, any opthamologists or optimetrists (please, leave the DR. title out) tell me or my folks when I am with them to never squint. None.

I know what you are thinking... and I do accept your challenge. There is a problem on how you can fill the prescription for me... I am not there to have you do the fitting.

Thread Information