Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAL ink markings

Bad address email on file Mark Rice's Avatar

Question

I often find it difficult to remove the verification ink markings that most labs stamp on PAL Rxs. I currently use Isopropyl Alcohol an find it eventually dissovles the ink. Heating the lens before applying the alcohol assist but if the ink is really been on the lens a while it is really stubborn and can be difficult to remove. I was wondering if anyone has found a safe solvent that can be used on all lens materials for this problem?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

You can use acetone or finger nail polish remover (has acetone in it). If you use acetone, make sure that you remove the lens from the frame before using it. You do not want to get acetone on the frame.

I have also used neutralizer in a pinch. Just dip your rag or paper towel in the heated neutralizer and that will take it off.

Acetone works better for me, though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

Another chemical that works well on all lens types and markings but takes some time is Goo Gone. It has a citrus odor.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Mark, The acetone works well and if you use non-acetone nail polish remover you can use it on AR coated lenses. If you use the regular acetone on AR it can ruin the coating on them.
    Talk to you later!
    Steph

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Acetone will destroy a Polycarbonate lens if you let it touch the un-coated edges. AO makes a ink remover that works very well.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Dip the lenses into heated BPI Neutralizer for a few sec.
    Then the marking is VERY easy to remove. No scraches, and easy to use.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Mark,

Try "Solves-it" From Seegreen, it will take just about anything off of a lens and has been safe on all lens materials we've used it on. It even works well on those UNBELIEVABLY hard-to-get-off marking on the KBCO Fusion 2 prog.(anyone else always have a problem with those lenses??)

Chad

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    When I started in the lab, in 1965, they used acetone to remove mark up ink; I guess old habits never die. Never hurt an AR lens with it..don't use on poly, but AR poly is OK. we keep it in a used mustard dispenser, one with a twist down top, apply it to a linen towel, swipe the inked lens, voila! no more ink. Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

you will also find that if you dip the lenses in hot water for about a minute, you then can very easily remove it with 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Believe it or not, try Sterno. It is an alcohol based product that won't affect poly. I strongly recommend that you don't try to drink the stuff--

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up

And I thought I was the only one with this problem, so some years ago I requested all labs who supply me with PALS to remove the markings before shipping, this way I can mark them up PROPERLY with my own pen I've had Rights instead of lefts, Essilor markings on Sola lenses, I've seen the lot!

Also, without the factory or lab marks you can see any scratches or problems on the lens before cutting.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Big Smile

What would be really nice is if instead of making us find new ways to get the markings off, the lens manufacturers would follow the lead of Essilor. The markings on the Natural come off with alcohol and minimal effort. Such is not the case with some lenses (I won't name names, like Sola Visuality), where you have to apply acetone or if it's a poly, stand on your head, and recite the Declaration of Independence in pig latin before the darned markings will START to come off with alcohol.

------------------
    Blake

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Originally posted by Al:
    You're right, Al. Mature habits die hard...I use acetone and q-tips to remove markings on everything and haven't had a problem yet.
    When I started in the lab, in 1965, they used acetone to remove mark up ink; I guess old habits never die. Never hurt an AR lens with it..don't use on poly, but AR poly is OK. we keep it in a used mustard dispenser, one with a twist down top, apply it to a linen towel, swipe the inked lens, voila! no more ink. Al.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Didn't you see "The Andromeda Strain"?

Originally posted by lguess:
    Believe it or not, try Sterno. It is an alcohol based product that won't affect poly. I strongly recommend that you don't try to drink the stuff--
    If the world is ever infected by an alien virus spawned from a meteor, then maybe we shouldn't be so hasty :-) It seemed to help the old man in the movie. I believe he reffered to it as "Squeeze". ;-)

Darris "Just sittin' here eatin' lunch" Chambless

Occupation

A word of caution regarding Judy's statement of using acetone on Poly w/ AR: most lenses are AR'ed after edging - not so with the CRIZAL coatings. They are coated in uncut form, then edged. Hence the edges are not coated and caution is advised when cleaning with acetone.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    JRS, we get all of our poly/crizal lenses uncut. the first thing we do is acetone off the yellow ink markings, then we take an ultra fine point sharpie and micro dot the reference marks, and put a mark on the add power. the reference marks are 34 mm apart and quite easy to see. these smaller dots come off easily with alcohol. Al.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Originally posted by JRS:
    A word of caution regarding Judy's statement of using acetone on Poly w/ AR: most lenses are AR'ed after edging - not so with the CRIZAL coatings. They are coated in uncut form, then edged. Hence the edges are not coated and caution is advised when cleaning with acetone.
    I use the Q-tip so that I can better control the amount of acetone I use and where I touch it to the lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Food for thought Darris. How can an alien virus survive UVC? Is it inside the meteor very well protected?

Beam me up Scotty or are the Tribles on the loose? We will probably loose some next generationer's here.

Some more dribble for lunch.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Originally posted by Bev Heishman:
    Food for thought Darris. How can an alien virus survive UVC? Is it inside the meteor very well protected?

Beam me up Scotty or are the Tribles on the loose? We will probably loose some next generationer's here.

Some more dribble for lunch.
    You see Bev,

Billions and billions of years ago viruses and bacteria were the only life forms available and could withstand extremes of anything. The organisms can lye dormant for millions, even billions of years. When the conditions and opportunities are right they can then manifest themselves into the ultimate killing machines. Death and destruction is only a breath away. (Dun Dun Dun!)

How do they survive UVC, you ask? They have little ultra violet light filtering umbrellas that they use; usually at the beach. They also use sunscreen with SPF 50 sos not to burn. Nothing worse than a virus or bacteria with a sunburn, but a good tan sure makes 'em "babe magnets". ;-) I believe that this is where George Hamilton learned all of his secrets for the perfect tan :-)

The primordial soup of the day will offer up many answers to your question as well. Give it a go and see what you find :-)

Darris "Carl Sagan is the world" Chambless

OptiBoard Novice

Whew, I thought I forgot my password. Nice board, by the way.

Has anyone seen the new Panamics that don't come with markings on the lens itself? Instead there are markings on a clear sticker that is placed on the front of the lens. You fit the lenses as usual, but when you're ready to take off the lines you just peel off the sticker and voila- no messing around with acetone and no rubbing until your knuckles bleed. Very nice.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Heres the quickest,neatest,easiest way to remove some markings. It works either perfectly on some brands, or not at all. Press scotch tape onto the markings. Peel off... done.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Originally posted by lguess:
    Sterno is actually denatured alcohol with red dye. You can buy it (denatured alcohol)cheaper at a hardware store if you would like.
    Bob

[This message has been edited by rwhopt (edited 06-01-2000).]

Occupation

Originally posted by Dwayne:
    Whew, I thought I forgot my password. Nice board, by the way.

Has anyone seen the new Panamics that don't come with markings on the lens itself? Instead there are markings on a clear sticker that is placed on the front of the lens. You fit the lenses as usual, but when you're ready to take off the lines you just peel off the sticker and voila- no messing around with acetone and no rubbing until your knuckles bleed. Very nice.
    Panamic is not the only lens with vinyl stickers available. Almost all manufacturers have them for their products. And most labs will use these, instead of ink if you ask them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Thumbs up All off pens

I use a product called All Off pens, it removes the marking quick and easily, and it is safe for all lens material

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Technology advanced ..................

Quote Originally Posted by nawsman View Post

I use a product called All Off pens, it removes the marking quick and easily, and it is safe for all lens material

Technology advanced a lot since this thread started in 2000

Thread Information