Thread: Need feed back on this website

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need feed back on this website

As a new business owner I'm trying to figure out the proper set up for my optical shop. Lots of this is so brand new to me :hammer:
    I just got a website up and running, I was hoping some of my peers would look at it and give me some feed back....whether it could be improved as well as making sure that I'm not overlooking some legal technical "stuff" (for example...is it ok to have the indipendent OD on the website?)

Here's the link:
    http://www.alternativeoptical.com/index.html

Thank you
    Giorgio

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wasn't aware of any University offering an advanced degree in Optical Dispensing. Can you tell us where you got it? Other than that its a fine looking website. hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buon giorno Giorgio,

When I have more time I will take a better look at it but one thing that I did notice is that 2 of the photos are a bit blurry on my screen. The one with the dog wearing readers and the one of your Optometrist. If you can sharpen those up a bit to match the clarity of your others....

Also, there is a photo of you and a lady. Maybe underneath the photo you can out your name and who the lady is? A customer, a fellow co-worker, your significant other?? Just a thought...

Anyhow, I will check it further when more time allows..

Ciao Ciao,
    Michelle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was refering to the ABO program, I did not realise that the way it is worded it could be interpreted that it could be a university degree.
    That's why I'm asking all of you to point out what is obvious to you.
    Thank you
    Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I wasn't aware of any University offering an advanced degree in Optical Dispensing. Can you tell us where you got it? Other than that its a fine looking website. hj

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good point!
    That lovely lady is indeed my wife.
    "Grazie" for your suggestions
    Ciao, ciao
    Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Buon giorno Giorgio,

When I have more time I will take a better look at it but one thing that I did notice is that 2 of the photos are a bit blurry on my screen. The one with the dog wearing readers and the one of your Optometrist. If you can sharpen those up a bit to match the clarity of your others....

Also, there is a photo of you and a lady. Maybe underneath the photo you can out your name and who the lady is? A customer, a fellow co-worker, your significant other?? Just a thought...

Anyhow, I will check it further when more time allows..

Ciao Ciao,
    Michelle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I truly hope that my expressionless text does not come across as criticism, except in the requested, contructive way!
    1. The pictures of the dog and the doctor appear to be squashed horizontally.
    2. When you click the doctor link, the picture on the left loads much more slowly than the rest of the document. The file size is too large and my friend (who builds advertizing websites for a living) says this is a no-no.
    3. The page on you talks about your amazing smile under a picture of you with a straight face.
    4. This is something I ran into building our own website, and I urge you to see my wisdom: the mapquest map is far too small and convoluted for it to be of any use to your patients. I recommend you did as I did and draw a map using a computer program (even paint) that has the major roads near you and a couple of landmarks. You could show me a mapquest picture of my HOUSE and I wouldn't know where the heck it is! I think a simplified version would be much more useful.
    5. Honestly, I don't adore the color scheme, but that's entirely your choice. There is a book you can buy if you want to get some inspiration showing color schemes and what emotions they invoke. Or, you can pull up any microsoft publisher template and view which color schemes are available, noting what they are titled. Some color combos look "professional" others are "chic" others are "exciting" or even "dull". It's a small change, but can really make a difference.
    Again, I mean well in nit picking at you, and I wish you luck! The website certainly has good bones!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    I truly hope that my expressionless text does not come across as criticism, except in the requested, contructive way!
    Not at all, thank you for your suggestions.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up Making a successful website..................

Quote Originally Posted by Giorio View Post
    I just got a website up and running, I was hoping some of my peers would look at it and give me some feed back....
    Giorgio
    Giorgio,.............Your website is nice and well setup. Your main job now is not to worry abount independent OD and so on. If somebody does not like something on the site they let you know. If nobody see's or can not find you site in cyberspace nothing really matters.

You have to do all the things to get listed by the search engines. Many are free for others you got to pay. Start listing your site with the free listing engine. Update it often............the more often the better. Your link page is not meant for the people looking at your site it is meant to link you to another site which in turn links back to you.

When your site gets spidered by the search engines they will follow the link to that other site and find a way back through the reciprocal link. When the other site gets spidered the path will divert the search engine to your site and on and on.

So, it does not matter what reciprocal links you have (as long as they are not of adult nature) every time you add a reciprocal link you increase the chance of better listing with the search engines and the more you are listed the more people will find you.

Download the Alexa toolbar, list your site with them, and start checking the ratings of your and other sites.

Following those basic rules I have brought my website http://optochemicals.com to traffic ratings that list's it as number 4 in the optical supplier listing over a period of 4 years after having been very stale for the first 4 years.

I have also added your site to my optical website listing at http://optochemicals.com/web_ratings.htm which is a non reciprocal page.

If you want to reciporke with my site let me know and I will add it to my reciprocal page which contains 4,268 reciprocal links as of today.
    You can e-mail me at oms_optical@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    1. The pictures of the dog and the doctor appear to be squashed horizontally.
    2. When you click the doctor link, the picture on the left loads much more slowly than the rest of the document. The file size is too large and my friend (who builds advertizing websites for a living) says this is a no-no.
    3. The page on you talks about your amazing smile under a picture of you with a straight face.
    4. This is something I ran into building our own website, and I urge you to see my wisdom: the mapquest map is far too small and convoluted for it to be of any use to your patients. I recommend you did as I did and draw a map using a computer program (even paint) that has the major roads near you and a couple of landmarks. You could show me a mapquest picture of my HOUSE and I wouldn't know where the heck it is! I think a simplified version would be much more useful.
    5. Honestly, I don't adore the color scheme, but that's entirely your choice. There is a book you can buy if you want to get some inspiration showing color schemes and what emotions they invoke. Or, you can pull up any microsoft publisher template and view which color schemes are available, noting what they are titled. Some color combos look "professional" others are "chic" others are "exciting" or even "dull". It's a small change, but can really make a difference.
    Again, I mean well in nit picking at you, and I wish you luck! The website certainly has good bones!
    Do you have a link to your website, EyeFitWell?
    Here's one to our website my daughter made for us.
    http://valleyvisionwv.com/

Go ahead, nitpick our site. We are getting ready to recode it to allow us to change it remotely.(she lives 7 hours away.)

Thread Information