Thread: POF Lobbyist report

OptiBoard Novice

Thumbs up POF Lobbyist report

Legislative Update

May 7, 2001

by Nancy Black Stewart

POF had a great legislative session! If you are a POF member who helped at home or who took the time, energy and money to come to Tallahassee during session for Optician’s Day, my personal thanks to you!

Let’s look at what you accomplished.

Deregulation

Well, folks, you beat the governor ... really, there’s no other way to say it. Deregulation of opticianry was always the governor’s proposal. As I worked with members of the Legislature, I never found one who really supported deregulation, but rather I found Legislators who "wanted to help the governor." Both the House and Senate passed the state budget on the last day, and that’s where the deed would have been done. So, you never know until it’s over, but your regulatory/licensing Board of Opticianry will have the funds necessary to continue regulating your profession!

Are we gloating? No. No. No. Under this administration, the issues of streamlining, deregulating and privatizing are very much alive. It was no small task to back the governor down, but he is not giving up … just ask all those career service state employees. And just as we work for years sometimes to pass legislation, the governor now realizes that some of his goals will be hard to attain – and he will not give up after one year. We will honor an appropriate time for the governor and his staff to address all the newly passed legislation before them and let them get back to a normal work schedule (me too), and then POF and I will pursue this on your behalf. In the meantime …

Way to go, POF!

Enforcement

POF passed legislation this year! We had two great sponsors: Senator Debbie Wasserman Schultz filed SB 786, and Representative Jeff Kottkamp filed HB 315. It was an incredible session as the House bill had to pass through four committees (Yes, four!), and the Senate bill easily passed through one committee and then lay in the Senate budget committee until the last day of session.

Substantively, the bill that will go to the governor will provide a better opportunity for law enforcement to stop the illegal dispensing of contact lenses. Contact lenses will be defined in law to include both those sold as medical devices and those sold for cosmetic effect. In addition, dispensing without a prescription will be a felony of the third degree.

Procedurally, as session continued, it appeared the best way for passage of our language was to attach it to another bill because we were running out of time. The House passed our bill on HB 1867, then the Senate passed our bill on SB 1558, then the House passed our bill on SB 782, and, finally, at 10:00 p.m. on the last day, the House took up SB 1558 and passed it with our bill inside. Now, as you all go rushing to the Internet to find it, please be patient. SB 1558 is about 350 pages long, but I promise you it’s in there. Also, make sure you’re looking at the enrolled version, or it won’t be in there. So, did POF pass a bill? You bet!

And now, as your lobbyist, a big thank you for all your support on both of these very important issues. POF did an outstanding job of communicating the need, developing the message, and managing the process. I’m so proud of all of you and your POF association that I could just burst! And now ... I’m going to rest for a few days.

____
    IF you are not a POF member - Now you have NO excuse not to join! There is only one association that works endlessly to save and protect your license. Do the right thing and join TODAY!

Click on the address below to sign-up now!

https://www.isignupnow.com/SignUps/p...2-70AE8ACFD09C

Mark A. Miller
    Executive Director
    markm@pof.org

New mailing address:
    1947 Greenwood Drive - Tallahassee, FL 32303
    :)

[URL=http://www.signupnow.com/signUps/presignup.asp?
    sid=F93CED9B-426F-4FBB-9FB2-70AE8ACFDO9C]

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations! I know this is a duel edge sword. Keep up the good work!
    :)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As a follow-up to this post, I'd just like to mention that the two lobbyists who fought Opticianry in Florida's legislative branch this year were Ron Labasky and Barry Hornbeim, at least one of which is in the employ of LensCrafters. In each committee, these lobbyists introduced amendments in an attempt to water down the bill as it wound its way towards passage. Fortunately, our state organization and lobbyist was able to thwart their every move.

Thanks Luxottica for being "for the independent Optician!" :angry:

Pete

Thread Information