Thread: Buying Online?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Buying Online?

Before you spit fire at me, please hear me out. I'm coming to you -- the professionals and asking advice because I honestly don't know any better myself.

I'm a college student -- I work and go to school and struggle to make my rent. When I found out how much it was going to cost just to get new lenses put in my current frames, I about fell over. I don't have vision on my insurance -- but because I have some insurance, I can't get help from any of the programs that help you pay for glasses (I looked into that already). I already paid 80 dollars just to see the doctor and get my new prescription, so I can't afford 100+ just to put lenses in frames I already own! I've looked online, and the prices are much cheaper. So I'm coming here to ask what the drawbacks to ordering online are.

I've already had my eye exam, And I already know the frames I'll be using and that they fit my face perfectly.

And again, before you flame me because I'm trying to save money in a place where you make your living -- please understand that I'm literally below the poverty level at the moment. I need glasses to be able to see. I'm hoping someone will have just had a great day and be willing to dispense some advise. Perhaps we can make a trade? I'm a CS student so if you have any questions about computers I am so there. Need advise on what kind of hardware/software you actually need? Where to buy? Questions about CPUs, HDs, RAM -- hell even just a software question -- I can help you in return :) help me with my lenses and I'll help you with all your computing needs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This subject has been fully covered a dozen times. Please search online glasses and you will see at least a dozen different threads on this theme.

Top 3:
    Fit
    quality
    Service

Please don't expect someone to provide measurements, adjustments, or regular frame services for free. Those items are part of the cost of the lenses in a store.

Have you tried shopping around? Many local stores in my area can provide a basic set of lenses for less. Heck there is always Walmart, Costco and similar places...
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I would price shop where you live and find the best deal possible. Keep in mind that anyone who works with your own friend is typically not liable should any damage occur to them. It might be less expensive to find a package deal that includes new frames and lenses.

As jubilee said, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum so just do a search and you will have most if not all your questions answered.

Doc

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Did you say you were going to use your own frame? That would mean you have to send it to the company for the lenses to be made. How long will that take?

Also; do you know what type of lens material you are going to choose and if so will there be any anti-reflection coatings? These products have a wide variety of quality levels and cannot be judged by the average consumer. You will need professional advice on those luxury features.

If you are looking for a basic plastic (CR-39) or even polycarbonate I charge significantly less than what you are posting and even include the frames(basic quality) at the same price. I work with many people that are below poverty level and to survive have develped value packages to make things affordable.

I would recommend checking some optical shops that are in low-income areas and see what prices they charge. If you buy on-line you won't have a face to go back to for advice or adjustments or any problems if they should arise.

Good luck:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

how about this for an answer

Start dating an optician!:idea: He/She should be able to able(hopefully)get you some lens at a less than retail. We are a fun loving group who are able to keep our jobs to support our family's. The only down side is you would have to deal with back issues of 20/20 in the bathroom. This just a suggestion that I've not seen presented before.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    Start dating an optician!:idea: He/She should be able to able(hopefully)get you some lens at a less than retail. We are a fun loving group who are able to keep our jobs to support our family's. The only down side is you would have to deal with back issues of 20/20 in the bathroom. This just a suggestion that I've not seen presented before.
    Welcome to the dating game. :) I love the college student excuse, My wife payed her way through college and just because she was their did not mean she thought the world would bend over backwards for her. For being under the poverty level you are doing pretty good with a computer and all, why don't you offer your services around campus to raise a little dough to pay for your lenses.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by KarenAlexa View Post
    Questions about CPUs, HDs, RAM -- hell even just a software question -- I can help you in return help me with my lenses and I'll help you with all your computing needs.
    With your apparent knowdlege in computer for sure you can make a few bucks to pay for a pair of single vision lenses to be mounted in you own frame.

By buying lenses on line you play the lottery..............you can win or you might loose, you figure out the odds. The Rx has be right, the optical centers have to be at the right distance and the right height..........or you won't see properly..........get headaches and other discomforts. It is not worth it to gamble in this case for a few dollars.

Getting the lenses from a local source your chances will be about 100% to get a good job and if there is a problem you can go back to have it corrected properly.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And again, before you flame me because I'm trying to save money in a place where you make your living -- please understand that I'm literally below the poverty level at the moment. I need glasses to be able to see.

Another option: Find an independent optician, go into their office, explain to her/him, exactly as you explained above (especially the computer srvcs trade part). I'm sure they'll help you, as the line of people coming through the door looking for something for nothing is endless. You're not in that line.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Johns; 09-20-2006 at 09:51 AM. Reason: It's fun to edit!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Ohh, I like this idea! ;) A date AND a good deal -- who could pass that up?

Oh and who ever said that about the computer, you've obviously never heard of loans. I bought this computer 3 years ago and I still owe 700 bucks on it -- payments due this Sunday actually. Trying to get a CS degree without a computer is next to impossible -- that's like and English major hoping to get through without a pen. You need your computer far more than you need your textbooks.

As far as loaning out my computer skils around campus -- I live in Huntsville, Alabama. We're all techies here. But I definatly might try offering out some tech support at a office -- that actually had not occured to me. Every business needs tech support -- right?

Thanks for the advice :)

Now someone point me in the direction of the cute, single, 20-something optician.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    LOL! The "back issues of 20/20" is spot on! Glad to see it's not just me.
    Also, to the poster, I build websites on the cheap for local businesses when I need money. Nothing fancy, but an easy way to earn a few hundred especially if you throw in (re-sell) hosting. Heck, your locally-owned optical might even want a site--it would be of more value to them than advice on CPU, RAM, etc. Just a thought.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ohh, I like this idea! ;) A date AND a good deal -- who could pass that up?
    Now someone point me in the direction of the cute, single, 20-something optician.
    How do you think most of us got married as far as a cute optician,,, you may have to lower your standards a little,, would you settle for nice or a good cook?;) Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Well the good money and good cook things aren't deal breakers because when I graduate I'll make good money (see, the whole marry rich thing only works if you find your rich guy -- I however had to turn to college since he's not turned up yet) and I happen to be an excellent cook.

Though if he can cook thats total brownie points because a guy cooking is super sexy. I assume he wears glasses too -- glasses are cute. Are yall geeky? Cause I love geeky guys.

I'm so up for dating an optician deal or no deal. Give your single friends my email address ;)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    PS: You never see mention of Ziggy anymore -- I used to LOVE ziggy. When I was little,my brother gave me a ziggy card and characture every year for my birthday. I <3 Ziggy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Im a cute 21 year old optician...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Daman233 View Post
    Im a cute 21 year old optician...
    Welcome to Optiboard!

I'm a disheveled, SAPPY LOOKING, obsessive compulsive, Optiboard addicted, hopeless moron, not sleeping enough, wanting to visit my friends in China, drinking too much, 36 year old Optician, who rarely responds two year old threads!

:D:cheers::D:cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Hey, you are too hard on yourself. I have never seen you respond to 2 year old threads before!!! :D;)

I was talking to Jerry Huang today saying we need you and Harry to relocate onto this side of the Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Welcome to Optiboard!

I'm a disheveled, SAPPY LOOKING, obsessive compulsive, Optiboard addicted, hopeless moron, not sleeping enough, wanting to visit my friends in China, drinking too much, 36 year old Optician, who rarely responds two year old threads!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Welcome to Optiboard!

Don't worry, I'm a grandmother :D that almost never even looks at two year old threads. ;)

Thread Information