Thread: In the UK...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

In the UK...

Well, I managed to get from Gatwick to Derby (pronounced "Dahrbee") without killing others or myself. I have to say, the M1 is probably one of the nicest highways I've ever driven- slower traffic to the left and use the right only to pass (wish some Americans would learn this simple concept).

The gentleman at the rental car place (hired car, in the UK) initially offered me a 2 door Alfa Romeo (oh yeah)- then discovered that the only car he had was a Ford Focus (sigh)... Anyway, after one mis-turn off the M25, I made it to the M1 and was off to the races- I'm doing 90mph and an Aston Martin comes flying up from behind... passing me like I'm sitting still!

As easy as the major roadways are to navigate, the A roads are simply confusing. Whoever invented the "roundabout" should be shot! Oh, and apparently yellow lights serve multiple purposes here (the light goes from red to yellow- telling you it will soon turn green). Oh, and it turns out the "soda" over here is in concentrate form (the folks at my table allowed me to try to drink this orange stuff from Schwepps before informing me you're supposed to add water to it first- yuck!).

Anyway, the weather is lovely (I thought it was always supposed to be raining in the UK), and so are the people. I've enjoyed trying new foods (like "spotted dick")- although I'm not so sure of the "haggish" (sp?) recommended by my new Scottish friends (Scots seem to be the most outgoing of the various kinds of Brits). In fact, it seems the "United" part of the United Kingdom comes from the fact that the Scots, Welsh, and Irish are all united in their disdain for the English!

No pictures to post yet, but I'm going to venture out tomorrow for a day of sightseeing (the locals recommend visiting a place called Buxton up the A6- there's a few manors worth seeing along the way, and the weather is supposed to be nice again tomorrow).

Ah well, to all the OptiBoard Brits, you have a lovely country (as you already knew)!
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 09-08-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    cool! :cheers: have fun and be safe...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Loved your account! When driving, the American tendency is to pull to the right. Get over that one first! Let me know how you like haggis! :):):) Have a great time! harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    These Scots are not your friends if they are pushing haggis--do not any circumstances try it--it's a sheep stomach stuffed with other interesting sheep parts. YUMMM!!!! If you think the UK has some fast driving maniacs, try the autobahn someday. I have never been so terrified in my life.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you are free on Saturday then consider the unique cultural event that is an English "soccer" match.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/default.stm
    Derby Vs Sunderland looks interesting (you will find the Mackems every bit as outgoing as the Scots), or Notts County Vs Accrington Stanley for a less glamorous, grass roots experience.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello from England again... my email server is down- so I can't get any work done (I hate to think of how many emails are piling up...).

Anyway, Haggi is definitely- as they say around here- ****e! As chm said, it is a stomach crammed with god knows what (and I have no desire to know). Actually, we have a dish in PA my mother used to make called "pig's stomach" that is pretty close (I never liked that dish, either).

Had a brew with a nice gent from Wales (and- contrary to what the English say- you can actually understand the Welsh when they talk)... In fact, Catherine Zeta Jones is Welsh- go figure! He ordered me a Woolington's Cream Ale (the name was something like that)- which was pretty good. Mead, on the other hand, must be an acquired taste!

Tomorrow is my big day to see things before heading home, and I am armed with directions to Chatsworth House (according to the desk clerk, "yew jus go threw Matlock on the A6 and you cannaught miss the signs!") The Derby soccer (um "football") match is at 3pm, and the stadium is only 8 miles away. According to the young lady at the front desk, there will be "no problem" getting a ticket (she was rolling her eyes, so I'm guessing the local club may not be that good).

The tellie (Brits pay like $220 a year in Telly taxes just to watch the TV, but there are no commercials), is really great- especially this channel called "SkyOne," which shows 2 straight hours of the Simpsons every night!!! They also have this weird game show late at night where you call up and try to solve puzzles to win lots of money (the male host- if I'm not mistaken- prefers men... since he keeps reading letters from men who write in telling him how cute he is- the lady host is quite attractive). BTW, Charlotte Church (you know, the really nice young lady with the beautiful voice) has her own talk show over here. Shockingly, she is a real tramp on the show- swearing up a storm and being quite rude... it was really disappointing, actually. Also, that Beckum fellow and his former Spice Girl wife seem to be in the news quite a lot (he seems like a real sod, actually- but she's quite hot).

PS- Oh, one piece of advice to anyone traveling to the UK. If you request a wake-up call one night, they will just keep calling every day at the same time till you ask them to stop (as I discovered at 7am sharp this morning- after only 3 hours of sleep!)!

Have a great weekend, and someone root for Penn State for me against evil Notre Dame!

PSS- I've been conducting an informal poll to see which 007 Brits prefer (since this is a common topic of discussion back in the States). So far, to my surprise, Pierce Brosnan is winning (but I'm surprised at the number of women who claim to have NEVER seen a 007 film). Sean Connery is 2nd, and no one seems to like Roger Moore!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Optometrist
    this channel called "SkyOne," which shows 2 straight hours of the Simpsons every night!!!
    You watch The Simpsons and you don't know what haggis is? Don't you pay attention to groundskeeper Willie?

"Git yur haggis, right here! Chopped heart n' lungs, boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds! Good for what ails ya" :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Charlotte Church swearing......I find myself disillusioned... I have one of her CD's...the one with the church music.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think I may be getting the hang of this left-sided driving... even the roundabouts are beginning to make sense! I made it up to Chatsworth House and back, and even found a McDonalds (which thankfully does not carry McHaggis).

Although the house was beautiful, I enjoyed the countryside even more (especially the sheep and cows).

I'm also enjoying the cars- although I have no idea what this one (pic attached) is!

Derby lost today (although they had a lead early on)- folks blame it on the coach bringing in poor players... They really get into their soccer over here (called the Coca-Cola league... thought that was a bit odd).

Well, its back to Gatwick tomorrow morning!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    so Pete, once you're settled, got an important question for you: are the Irish that good, or is Penn State that bad???;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That car is awesome!

I love my football, but I love my rugby more!
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Wow, another Neal Stephenson fan! I've read Cryptonomicron (or something like that- a great book), and finished up the final part of System of the World a few months back. I agree, he is a rather unique author!

Although he's a different kind of author, if you enjoyed System of the World, you might also enjoy Pillars of the Earth- by Kenneth Follett. Its a pleasantly long book (some of the System books began to drag in the middle- this book goes right along the whole way through), and it covers some interesting historical notes as well.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Laptop???

OK, Pete. I'm curious about whether or not you could carry on your laptop? Flight issues?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Wow, another Neal Stephenson fan! I've read Cryptonomicron (or something like that- a great book), and finished up the final part of System of the World a few months back. I agree, he is a rather unique author!

Although he's a different kind of author, if you enjoyed System of the World, you might also enjoy Pillars of the Earth- by Kenneth Follett. Its a pleasantly long book (some of the System books began to drag in the middle- this book goes right along the whole way through), and it covers some interesting historical notes as well.

Cool I'll add it to my list, but yeah I think the Baroque Cycle is possibly the best thing I've read (and I read 30-40 books a year). I love it cause it covers such a breadth of territory and yeah it can be slow at moments, but only when you are initially reading it. On my second and third reading those were some of my favorite moments because you can then see how they foreshadow and tie to later crucial moments.....and it's really gotten me into knowing about the pillars of science...I've read biographys on Hooke, Newton, Wilkins, etc. now, as well as books on alchemy.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glad to hear you've been enjoying our fair land.

How did you manage with the scots words and accent?

Gird a'loo?
    Glaikit?
    Bairn?

You should also try to get hold of some Tablet if you have a sweet tooth!
    Recipe available on request lol! :)

Mrs OptiCop cant understand half of my relatives as they're Scots.

Shame you went to watch the football, or soccer in your tongue, rugby is by far the superior game and preferably the Union version. Confused yet?

Glad you enjoyed your stay though and I'm glad the weather was good for you, normally isn't :(

Welcome to all - our governments policy I believe!?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    Charlotte Church swearing......I find myself disillusioned... I have one of her CD's...the one with the church music.

She has 2 loves in her life.....
    Getting drunk :cheers: and er how can i say this....... Being in the middle of a rugby scrum ;)
    Seems she has this thing for welsh rugby players...... :drop:

Glad you enjoyed the UK Pete.. :bbg:
    But the M1 a nice road..... Boy how sad... Most of us hate it.....
    Mind you that might have something to do with linkingthe south to the north....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes! Rugby! One of my close friends is Welsh. He got me hooked. I'm a fan of Tri-Nations personally, though Celtic League has been fun too. Of course being from Cardiff, he's a Blues fan and is trying to make me into one as well.
    www.opticaljedi.com

Thread Information