Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on lab software please...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Suggestions on lab software please...

Its time to think about getting some new software for our lab. Software needs to be capable of running the lab equipment and inventory, pricing and invoicing. What are you lab folks using? I'm currently using gerber coburn Innovations Software, it runs the machines but, sadly, doesn't do invoicing.
    Open to all suggestions.

Thanks, Jason

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CC Systems!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Optivision

Bad address email on file MedicLINK's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I just heard today that one Lab Management Software company was purchased by Essilor. It was Vision Star LLC.

Another Lab Software option could be:
    www.omics.com

Occupation
    OMICS was purchased by OptiFacts almost a year ago. I believe that the OMICS software will eventually be phased over to the OptiFacts systems. OptiFacts is owned by Essilor and I believe that VisionStar was just reported by VisionMonday to have been purchased by Essilor also.

OptiFacts is rolling out it's new O2 system which is for smaller wholesale labs. They will be talking about this system at VisionExpo I believe. VERY affordable compared to any other systems. I have received prices and proposals from all the major manufacturers(VisionStar, OptiVision, OptiFacts, CC Systems etc..) and we just purchased the OptiFacts O2 system. Good Luck!:)

CDOT
    cc is great but expensive... visual lab pro (National Optronics) is an excellent value alternative

Occupation
    Dvi

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optivision. Been using for 8 years. Does it all. http://optivisioninc.com/index.php
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don't use either of these systems, however I've heard good things about the support from CC Systems and Optivision. Don't discount the tech support piece of the puzzle.

JB

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    It's too bad DVI doesn't offer a scaled down version - nothing currently on the market can touch the power of DVI. And on the other side of the spectrum we have Optifacts - I've litterally seen the Optifacts database collapse when two systems try to access the same archive - the result (both times mind you) was a totally corrupted database.

For smaller labs, Optivision and Visual Lab Pro are good choices. I tredged through Omics for three years and will never go back them them. Visual Lab Pro actually uses Gerber Innovations in it's underside to handle RxCalc, so you'd be halfway there going that route.

For midsized labs CC Systems Labzilla might be a consideration. It is expensive, but it's as close to DVI as I've seen and it's more scalable than DVI so it fits within the needs of a midsized lab.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcarlen View Post
    It's too bad DVI doesn't offer a scaled down version - nothing currently on the market can touch the power of DVI. And on the other side of the spectrum we have Optifacts - I've litterally seen the Optifacts database collapse when two systems try to access the same archive - the result (both times mind you) was a totally corrupted database.

For smaller labs, Optivision and Visual Lab Pro are good choices. I tredged through Omics for three years and will never go back them them. Visual Lab Pro actually uses Gerber Innovations in it's underside to handle RxCalc, so you'd be halfway there going that route.

For midsized labs CC Systems Labzilla might be a consideration. It is expensive, but it's as close to DVI as I've seen and it's more scalable than DVI so it fits within the needs of a midsized lab.

Visual Lab does not use Innovations to handle calculations; CC Systems does.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    CC Systems!
    CC Systems uses innovations as the lab portion. Since you are currently using innavations you should take a look.

Rising Star
    Occupation

Lab mgmt software

From what I could find, here are the main players:

DVI Vision System
    Optifacts System (Essilor)
    Gerber Innovations System
    OMICS System (O2, Optifacts, Essilor)
    Vision Star System (Essilor)
    Optivision System
    CC Systems
    Silor Com 3 system
    AO Sola PC System
    Visual Lab System

I dont know if there are others. What I would really like to see is a survey of systems to know what thier strengths and weaknesses are. Where they shine and where they flop. What are their price points and how they justify them.

Is Essilor the 800 pound gorilla in the middle of the room that everyone is going around at this time, but cannot be ignored.
    Last edited by Mirror; 09-11-2006 at 07:19 PM. Reason: incomplete details.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i know...old thread...just wanted it to be in my subscribed threads for monday... I'm looking for software for our lab...something under 15 g's if possible!
    equal opportunity offender!!

Occupation
    I think Visual Lab is NO (Essilor as well). Don't let them into your lab. Spite of what they may say, they do share all information through out the company. I can say for sure.

Occupation
    Optivision has a newer, smaller package. Optek also has one. You may want to check them, I have no real experience with either one. As someone said earlier, don't forget about tech support, it can make or break a system.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    im debating on the tech support, i have 2 computer science degrees so if it breaks i can fix it, however if the tech support is like innovations i wouldnt be able to get lens and frame updates. I'll have to talk to them and see what the details are.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post
    im debating on the tech support, i have 2 computer science degrees so if it breaks i can fix it, however if the tech support is like innovations i wouldnt be able to get lens and frame updates. I'll have to talk to them and see what the details are.
    Why would you not be able to get lens (and frame) updates?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    according to the price sheet that was sent to us, if we don't get the support then we cant get lens and frame updates.

p.s. I'm not in any way bashing the innovations system, I've used it and happen to love it. just costs too much for us right now.

Occupation
    according to the price sheet that was sent to us, if we don't get the support then we cant get lens and frame updates.

p.s. I'm not in any way bashing the innovations system, I've used it and happen to love it. just costs too much for us right now.
    I would never buy a systen that did not allow the user to create his own lens and frame files. You could lose business waiting for updates.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I would never buy a systen that did not allow the user to create his own lens and frame files. You could lose business waiting for updates.
    If you are suggesting that Innovations does not "allow the user to create his own lens and frame files," you are incorrect. You can add both, as you please. We do provide lens updates (automated, if you like), which the vast majority of our customers use, but it's true, we do charge for them. We haven't figured out how to provide service and support without charging for it.

There aren't all that many labs in the world - it's actually a challenging business case.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    If you are suggesting that Innovations does not "allow the user to create his own lens and frame files," you are incorrect. You can add both, as you please. We do provide lens updates (automated, if you like), which the vast majority of our customers use, but it's true, we do charge for them. We haven't figured out how to provide service and support without charging for it.

There aren't all that many labs in the world - it's actually a challenging business case.
    agree...so why does the system have to cost so much (though a billion bucks cheaper than dvi), wouldn't it make more business sense to create a quality product like you have and price it lower so its available to more labs and make the money from volume? I would charge the same for support but the initial cost is kinda high. Or offer a payment plan, hell charge interest on it. its easy to require those who purchase on a credit plan to be connected to the net, and if they go 3 months past due use your remote host to shut the system down.

Occupation
    agree...so why does the system have to cost so much (though a billion bucks cheaper than dvi), wouldn't it make more business sense to create a quality product like you have and price it lower so its available to more labs and make the money from volume? I would charge the same for support but the initial cost is kinda high. Or offer a payment plan, hell charge interest on it. its easy to require those who purchase on a credit plan to be connected to the net, and if they go 3 months past due use your remote host to shut the system down.
    I appreciate your comments. It's helpful to hear what prospective customers think about our prices. We have been considering the possibility of offering some kind of subscription pricing as you suggest.

I think we're already less expensive than most of our competitors, even though some of the more expensive systems don't have four developers dedicated to the product (like we do) or eleven support technicians available to help customers (like we do) - which makes it difficult to justify lowering prices further. Like I said - the global market for lab software is really quite small (it's on the order of one-quarter of one-thousandth of the industry's dollar turnover globally); that makes "making it up on volume" tough.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate your comments. It's helpful to hear what prospective customers think about our prices. We have been considering the possibility of offering some kind of subscription pricing as you suggest.

I think we're already less expensive than most of our competitors, even though some of the more expensive systems don't have four developers dedicated to the product (like we do) or eleven support technicians available to help customers (like we do) - which makes it difficult to justify lowering prices further. Like I said - the global market for lab software is really quite small (it's on the order of one-quarter of one-thousandth of the industry's dollar turnover globally); that makes "making it up on volume" tough.

thats a good point. a credit option would be the way to go then. especially for smaller labs that still want a great program. I agree that your pricing is lower than most, with everything we would need it would cost us 16,000 to get up and running. having some sort of credit option would open you up to more labs and give you an edge over many other software vendors. I've been researching for 3 months and not a single company has a credit plan (well dvi wants 20g's up front and float the rest for 5 years, but thats still too much up front). We have been looking into optek who has a program for just under 4 grand, however if your planning on setting up something like this soon (within the next couple weeks, were looking to get something immediately so we don't have to do the curves mathematically, aka. "by hand", anymore) then i would love love love to get the innovations system. I will pm you with my contact info, ill be back in the lab tomorrow and would love to chat with you about the options if you have time.

Occupation

No Mr. Shanbaum. I have never worked with the Innovations system. I was just advising people not to buy a system that would have such a handycap.

Truthfully the biggest problem for small guys is the fact that software providers can't figure out how to make the systems affordable with out pissing off their large customers. If a renagade software engineer would develope a system that would communicate with the equipment for a small lab price, they could do a lot of business. This I know for a fact. Small labs just can't afford to pay the same as big labs. There are many,many more small labs, hundreds. Don't look for the big E to help either. They don't want the small guys around.

Thread Information