Thread: Review: OMS Diamond Slick Coat

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Review: OMS Diamond Slick Coat

I took Chris Ryser up on an invitation to try and review his companies product; DIAMOND SLICK COAT.
    I have no financial interest in his company and have not /will not receive any finacial compensation for the following review.

I apologize if this does not replicate the Optiboard Product review Submission Form exactly. My computer skills and use of an Apple/Mac based format have been a bit of a stumbling block.

OptiBoard User Name: Fezz
    Date of Review: August 31, 2006
    Employer:
    Product Category: other....Optical Chemicals
    Product Name: DIAMOND SLICK COAT
    Product Vendor and/or Distributor: OMS
    Vendor website: http:://Optochemicals.com (1-800-461-6637)

5 stars = Excellent
    4 stars = Good
    3 stars = Acceptable
    2 stars = Not good
    1 star = Poor
    0 stars = Not recommended
    Quality: ****(4)
    Ease of use: *****(5)
    Client acceptance (if applicable):
    Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor: *****(5)
    Value: ****(4)
    Overall:*****(5)
    Review:

DIAMOND SLICK COAT is a in-house dip coating to give Anti-Reflective lenses a Anti-fog, Anti-Static, and easy to clean, top coat that the professional can use to duplicate the properties of the premium AR coatings that are on the market today, without paying the premium prices these products demand. You can also apply this to non-AR lenses to give the same properties.

I found the product very easy to use. 1.) Dip the lens into the solution for not more than a second 2.) Dry the lens from the center outwards while rotating the lens to avoid smears and smudges. 3) Thats it!

DIAMOND SLICK COAT definitely makes the lens easier to clean. Then lens also seems to become much less prone to static, or attracting lint and debris from cleaning.

I have two concerns with this product.
    1.) I am not sure how long or durable this coating is. I am unsure if it will last the life of the lens. I have not been using it long enough to determine its lasting effects.
    2.) The DIAMOND SLICK COAT has a short shelf life. My bottle was manufactured 06/28/2006 and a UNOPENED shelf life of four months. The directions state that you should pour the entire contents into an airtight plastic container and leave as little airspace as possible. I feel that much of this will go to waste unless your practice has the volume of AR to justify the cost. You can also apply this to uncoated non-AR lenses to give them the same properties.

Overall, I feel DIAMOND SLICK COAT is a very easy to use and potentially profitable alternative to the premium AR with topcoats that are on the market. I would also like to thank Chris Ryser who runs OMS, for providing me with the sample of this and a few other OMS products to review. He was very generous and talked me through the ordering of and use of his product.

Would you purchase this product or other products from this company based on your experience with this product?

I would purchase this product IF the long term durability proves to be on par with the available premium AR topcoats.
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-05-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: fix goof ups

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    OK a couple months ago I started noticeing that the batch of chemical I got started to clump up, must be the silicone in the product, but before it went bad I thought why not coat the inside of the Kappa's edging chamber with it, it's made of plastic and I clean it all the time and the window needs cleaning at least once a week to keep the gunk off and me seeing the lens.

Well today I had to clean the window because it was dirty and I thought back to when the last time I cleaned it was and I couldn't remember.......I know I know I should be keepign a log of maintanence but I stay on top of it and it's part of my schedule now that I don't even think about these things anymore. Well I am glad to say this product has more than one use in our lab.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    OK a couple months ago I started noticeing that the batch of chemical I got started to clump up, must be the silicone in the product, but before it went bad I thought why not coat the inside of the Kappa's edging chamber with it, it's made of plastic and I clean it all the time and the window needs cleaning at least once a week to keep the gunk off and me seeing the lens.

Well today I had to clean the window because it was dirty and I thought back to when the last time I cleaned it was and I couldn't remember.......I know I know I should be keepign a log of maintanence but I stay on top of it and it's part of my schedule now that I don't even think about these things anymore. Well I am glad to say this product has more than one use in our lab.

I also use it on the plexiglas cover on the polishers, the lensometers,the layout blocker, and the showroom mirrors.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information