Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK New members

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Seeing that OptiBoard was recently featured in the June 30th issue of UK magazine Optician! Do we now have a surge of new UK members or are they still going to be shy and not post which seems to be the british way :D. We could do with a bit more British input.

John "I know it aint a british surname" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I hope to see more of you guys.

Question??? Is the petrol problem as bad? We were there last year and the cost was high, but obviously not strike. We had some very good friends that just got back and haven't had a chance to really talk about the shortage based on the strike. Also, I know the UK is not involved in the Euro Dollar, but how does it rate with the Pound?

Diane

Occupation
    Yep petrol is a major problem thanks to uk govement taking a whopping 85% in the pound tax we are now at the £4.00 a gallon mark. Expect to see another strike in november as the 60 day deadline is up then and it will hit harder this time due to the colder weather no dout, dispite the gov telling everyone else that they have to ensure it dont happen again. As for the euro as the danes said NO we dont want it.
    John "bet i'm the only brit to reply" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Well I had to reply, just to make John, or Chewy, as I believe he was known, wrong! I don't think the november strike will be as bad, as this time it will be expected. And everyone reading back on this, in stoneage Britian 2001 will be thinking "Yes, she was wrong". And anyway, John, you'll be pleased to know Dale ensured every single staff member got to work, and we didn't close the shop. We had no customers, as no-one was wasting precious petrol on their specs, but we were all there!
    And incidently, I personally vote 'non' to the euro, particularly with this human rights sh!t that has recently been passed.
    Maria 'the Hun aren't going to tell me what to do'K
    PS - John, I sent you an email, but I'm not sure if it got delivered, apparently there was a problem with the server.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Unhappy

hey chewy us brits are all shy as you well know.So we just come here to read.
    but they can stick the euro where the sun don't shine
    KEEP THE POUND. sod tony blair

Jack "but my surname is British" :D http://www.optispares.f2s.com

[This message has been edited by optispares (edited 10-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by optispares (edited 10-08-2000).]

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

My surname's Irish. I think most people in Britian have non-brit surnames now.

Occupation
    Well thats 3 Brits here now any more care to Type a few words for us :D
    Come on folks lets show them Yankies we ar'nt backward at comming forward :D

John" I hate being alone" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation

Arrow

I now notice that there is a 4th UK member posting here :D but the strange thing is that 3 of us are from the white rose (and better) county :D and 1 is from the red rose county . Both of which are in the north of the UK, what could this mean? Maybe it is true that us northeners are loadmouths and them from the south are all quite sedate and silent.
    John "If you can't say what you mean don't bother" R

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

There is some confusion over whether we're in the 'red rose' county, or plain ol' greater manchester. I seem to remember them changing it a few years back, and since then, both seem to be acceptable.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hi all,

I'm from a suburb of the UK twice removed called Texas and was curious about something you've been talking about. What is the concept behind the Euro Dollar (I'm sure it's uniform type of currency to alegedly lessen the hassels of the "rates of exchanges") and how will it affect your economy as a whole? Just curious.

Thanks,

Darris "Wanting to find out why you want them to stick it where the sun don't shine" Chambless

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Originally posted by Darris Chambless:

Darris "Wanting to find out why you want them to stick it where the sun don't shine" Chambless
    Well thats easy :D think of what come's out of where the sun don't shine, and thats what most of us Brits think of the "EEC" and the euro.
    Next point
    I'm sure it's uniform type of currency to alegedly lessen the hassels of the "rates of exchanges
    Correct you win again Darris :D :D
    but its got to find a common point in all the various exchange rates first.
    As to how it will affect the economy is anyones guess as it the usual story from the politicians the cant agree on diddly s**t.

John "I want my Pound to be british not an euro" R

Sorry if this seems a bit short and sharp but this subject really gets my back up

[This message has been edited by john r (edited 10-11-2000).]

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

From what I can gather, the euro$ works like this.
    If your country had a reasonably strong currency, like the pound, then you lose out, because the euro is like an average of the currencies involved. If, however, like Spain, you have the El Crapo peseta, then you're laughing.
    It is also the first step on the path to world domination by Germany. Unfortunatly, they have been forced to take this measure because they are rubbish at fighting.
    And we won't be able to have curly bananas, and they'll make the Queen live in a council house on the Wirral.
    Maria 'They bombed our chippie' K

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Alright!

Am I gonna hafta start speaking real Texan to fit into the vernacular or would you mind explaining some of the things you just said? :-) "EEC" "euro" "really gets my back up" "El Crapo peseta" < Now I speak a little Spanish and that ain't a phrase I'm familiar with :-) "curly bannanas" ,Sounds like a fungus :-) "they'll make the Queen live in a council house on the Wirral." "'They bombed our chippie'"

What do "curly bannanas" have to do with German world domination. I would have to assume that it must have been a dispute over fungus? :-)

All in fun guys and gals. I can understand what you're saying with regard to the Euro Dollar but let's make sure I have it correct. If All of America (Everything in this hemisphere) were to have a uniform currency We would lose big time because our dollar would be devalued, but Mexico would be laughing all the way to the bank. I think the exchange rate for the American dollar in Mexico is for every dollar you wish to exchange for pesos you will need a wheel barrow to carry the money ;-) At one point the exchange rate in Mexico was around 5000 pesos for every dollar on exchange. People from the states were literally driving 18 wheeler down there and exchanging as much as they could load up. When the exchange rate dropped they exchanged the pesos and made more than double their money.

There's an idea. If the Euro starts looking like it will become a reality make sure you can get the exchange first, but go into Spain and buy up as many pesetas as you can and exchange then for the Euro and you'll be ahead of the game. Or you will at least offset what you could potentially lose by switching to this new currency. It can be risky but nothing worth while is ever easy. Just an idea.

Ya'll take care and I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes reality. If it does, move on over here. If you don't like the rain and the cold move to Texas and you'll never have to worry about either again :-)

Darris "Keeping it real here in the states" Chambless

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Originally posted by Darris Chambless:
    Alright!

What do "curly bannanas" have to do with German world domination. I would have to assume that it must have been a dispute over fungus? :-)

OH well you see the EEC wont let OUR supermarkets or shops sell Bannanas that have to much curl on them they almost want them to be straight :D Its the same for cucumbers as well we had a daft story that a supermarket got done for selling a cucumbers as a grade 1 item but as it was too bent ? it was'nt it was grade 2 ? but if they had cut it in half it would have been a grade 1. Stupid or what.
    EEE = European Economic Community
    Thought you would have heard about the bannanas after the "Bannana war we have just had"
    John" The eec is a waste of money" R

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darris Chambless:

"EEC" "euro" "really gets my back up" "El Crapo peseta" "they'll make the Queen live in a council house on the Wirral." "'They bombed our chippie'"

Ok. Based on my extensive knowledge of American linguistics, gleaned from Stephen King books and Frasier, I shall attempt a translation/explanation. :D

:) EEC - European Economic Commission ( I think)

:) Euro - Proposed european currency, formerly the EMU. (Don't know where you got the dollar bit from)

:) Really gets my back up - really annoys me

:) El Crapo Peseta - The substandard currency of Spain, presented in ultra-mocking 'pidgin Spanish'

:) They'll make the Queen live in a council house on the Wirral - The jingoistic fear that Europe will destroy the monarchy, and deliver the most insulting blow of all, that the Queen (God bless 'er) would have to live in a council house (the UK version of a trailer park) in the Wirral (rough area of Liverpool)

:) They bombed our chippie - slogan of an 80's comedian who was extremely right wing and racist. A chippie being a fish and chip shop (don't know if you have those), and the phrase being a reference to the Blitz (you definitely didn't have one of those, or you may have joined us at the start of the war), and the German bombers missing military targets and blowing up civilian dwellings. On purpose.

And that, my American cousins, concludes today's lesson.

------------------
    Maria "no amusing quote" K

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

You "subjects" in the U.K. let them take your guns away and now you have to live with a government that thinks you will be obliged to put up with anything, high taxes, regulations, etc. Get your guns back, you will find that in countries where revolution is easily possible it is seldom necessary.

Thank God for the framers of our Constitution even if the present courts and governmental bodies would try to tear it down!

Chip (The don't call us Rebels for nothin) Anderson

Occupation
    Very true chip It took 2 mad ? gunmen to bring about the change in the law on guns, but how come we have madmen running the country into the ground and yet no one does anything at all.
    And as for the eec well thats just full of MAD blood sucking leaches out for every Euro they can get in their back pockets to spend on their little jaunts round the world at our expence.....
    John "why could Guy Faulks not have blown it up" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation

Blue Jumper

well chewy it will soon be november 5th .perhaps we could have another try and blow up the grinning jackanapes and his over stuffed buddy two jags. :D
    JACK (bring on the revolution)

Occupation

Unhappy

just another thought maybe they should put all the self centered egotistical politicians in the world together in one place (far away from here) and leave the rest of us to get on with it without them.

jack

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Originally posted by optispares:
    well chewy it will soon be november 5th .perhaps we could have another try and blow up the grinning jackanapes and his over stuffed buddy two jags. :D
    JACK (bring on the revolution)
    Well so long as it don't mess up ""mrs over stuffed buddy two jags"" hair thats fine by the rest of us :D :D

John "exercise is good for you" R

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

The only trouble with packing tham all off to a desert island is;Who will run the country then? I can half remember some quote about anyone who wants to do the job is automatically not the right person for it. (I'm sure it was more eloquent originally) I mean, let's face it, it's the kind of thing that you think you could do when you are in the pub, on the outside of a bottle of vodka, but it is certainly true that you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    I'm not supporting the government, or indeed any of the viable alternatives.
    It's just that it's a job that only self-serving ******s actually want to do, and such is doomed to failure.
    Best thing is to just grin and bear it (and open an offshore account to stash as much booty as poss)

Maria 'I'm guessing ****** will get though the swear detector, as it's predominantly english in usage' K

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

And also congratulations to Optispares on being the featured member!
    How do you think you cope with fame and adultation, not to mention the young girls throwing themselves at you? :)

------------------
    Maria "no amusing quote" K

Occupation
    fame at last better get a catching glove for all you young girls :D :D :D

------------------
    jack
    http://www.optispares.f2s.com

Occupation

Blue Jumper

You may have the fame but no fortune :D

John" another skint brit" R

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Occupation
    you think you are skint ????????anyway don't you know it is racist to refer to yourself as british.
    jack (isn't our government wonderfull) :D

------------------
    jack
    http://www.optispares.f2s.com

Thread Information