Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Abom Paper

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO-AC Time/ Papers

If the Master's Certificate is designed to measure ADVANCED knowledge, then there surely must be some time between exams to gain that advanced training and education through additional study to allow successful completion of the requirements. The initial ABO certification is at a very basic level, and is minimal at best, so most of those who take the advance exam exam will be unsuccessful sans additional study. The ABOM is suppossed to be a measure of a higher understanding of Ophthalmic Optics, and in fact, has a very poor pass rate. I do not think allowing folks to choose which exam they take is sound academic policy, but ABO might want to consider a plan in which those who consider themselves up to the task could simply skip the basic exam and go straight to the advanced. I suspect they need all the study time they can get considering the poor pass rate, but this may be something to evaluate empirically. The real answer, in my opinion, is for the profession and industry to respect the knowledge an individual who completes the ABOM designation brings to the table. When we begin to value knowledge it will increase the numbers who wish to sit for the exam and complete the so-called thesis.

As to the theses, most are not up to publishable standards. In the past, I have reviewed many of these papers, and while the level of knowledge was evident, the formatting of the papers would not be accepted by peer-reviewed journals that I am aware of in any field. We would need to train the folks in writing and proper development of the papers for that to be viable, but the concept of a peer-reviewed journal to add to the body of knowledge is an excellent idea, and one I feel can be accomplished. There are those of us out here who do know how to do research and would be willing to provide that training if it is deemed something folks are interested in doing, but it will also require effort.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 09-28-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    We would need to train the folks in writing and proper development of the papers for that to be viable, but the concept of a peer-reviewed journal to add to the body of knowledge is an excellent idea, and one I feel can be accomplished. There are those of us out here who do know how to do research and would be willing to provide that training if it is deemed something folks are interested in doing, but it will also require effort.
    Thank you for some enlightenment, and the offer to help with research. I currently have access to Johns Hopkins and Towson Universitys networks and find myself gaining access to articles very easily, but I might have to take you up on that some time. ;)

I just got off the phone with Mike Roube and was told that the papers are there for examples to learn how to write papers, when I mentioned that I thought they were there to add to the body of knowledge in opticianry, and if the administartive costs were high I would be willing to drive down there and scan all the documents and leave them with a digital version of them, I was told that most people want a hard copy and that they have the capability to do that their. I SMELL OLD BOYS NETWORK. The reality is I went all the way to the top to try and provide a solution and was still turned away. I offered services that would cost good money and was turned away. I offered to volunteer free hours to help and was turned down. They told me that they are going to make the site more interactive in the future, they didn't need my help with that eigther. Looks like the ABO has far too much help than they know what to do with, I guess thats why opticianry is at the peak of it's greatness. :angry:

Look I have a right just like anyone else to demand more of the organization that is supposed to represent something in our field.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Harry look at the good news...YOU HAVE TO HELP ME STUDY!!!:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I SMELL OLD BOYS NETWORK :angry:
    Harry:

I think doth need to "chill"...a little. THE ABO is an old optician's organization. We're not gonna have them see your *truth*...anytime soon.

Let's take a more, relaxed approach.

Barrs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Examples.......

....of papers are fine, but there are no standards (at least not that I know of) regarding referencing style, format, etc. For example, most health care referencing is done in APA style, while ABO/NCLE generally accepts anything. We would need to come up wih some kind of standardization to accomplish a professional product that is academically sound, and a peer review process that is done by people who have not only technical expertise but understand academic writing. This concept is foreign to a profession that largely is apprentice-trained, but it can be done. There are many with academic credentials in Opticianry to help foster us on the road to such change, but it is often stymied by those in leadership roles who feel we are doing just fine as we now exist. I for one do not agree with their assessment, and hope we can one day see a positive change regarding the acceptance of some kind of advanced credential and recognize it fully.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    There are many with academic credentials in Opticianry to help foster us on the road to such change, but it is often stymied by those in leadership roles who feel we are doing just fine as we now exist.
    It is the status quo that upsets me the most and yes it doe feel as though some of the organizations that are meant to help further our carrer as a whole is sometimes less than supportive. I am up untill almost 2:00 in the morning nightly woking on the computer to create something that could be usefull to opticians as a whole or reading to help further myself along, or any number of things focused towards advancing opticianry. I have consistently dedicated 5% of my pay to further my education and to help further opticianry. I am a put up or shut up type person and I don't shut up very often if you know what I am saying. It is 3 oclock right now and I have stayed up for the 4th night in a row pulling a marathon data entry session and have just completed a contact lens database that I will be offering to opticiians for free. I am more than likely going to offer it to the CLSA as well, but already know their answer (they don't need it). Probably because they can't sell it.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OK!! I just got the copy of my ABOM paper..

...and I think it's better than I remmeber...but:

I would still revise/rewrite base on my experience since 1994.

For anyone who gets a copy, I hope you find it interesting...and please note: I welcome any comments!

Barry Santini

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    My count puts it at 126 papers on the list they quoted me $5.00 a paper

Make me broke equation = 5.00 * 126

Make me broke = 630.00

Again I have thought of asking for some sort of bulk pricing as well as pooling moneys together to purchase the papers as a lot. Anyone interested please post and lets get it started, if anyone knows me with or without others involved I will get all the papers. It will be easier with help of course.

Just curious, what ever happened with this idea?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

wow

Harry C sure was a firecracker eh? Reminds me of me. I think we both still are. The "establishment", the old timers, the status quo don't like smart dedicated hotheads like us. I think it makes them feel threatened. I once had a boss who would introduce himself to higher ups as a certified optician(ABOC) and point to me in the edger room and describe me as a school trained lab tech. This when I had higher certifications than his. That's the status quo right there. They have the status and that's the quo.
    As to the papers, talk to Harry C. He has the info you need.
    Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 02-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information