Thread: What insurance plans do you accept?

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What insurance plans do you accept?

I'm located in Massachussett and I'm trying to find some insurance plan that I can sign up for that compensate fairly...yes I know, I'm asking for the impossible.
    I guess i should ask for insurance plans where at least I won't loose money...what are you accepting?
    I'm an indipendent optician with an indipendent O.D. on premises...I assume that VSP is out of the question

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi G, the only plan I know of that signs up opticians is Lux's ins. ( I may be wrong.) The other option you have is to get your OD there to sign up. VSP and their ilk sign with Dr's, not locations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in a fairly large practice in Beverly Hills. We have 5 doctors and see around 35-45 patients a day. We accept VSP, Davis, EyeMed, MESC. None pay that great, but we do alot of second and third pairs and that's where the accepting the insurance pays off.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I'm in a fairly large practice in Beverly Hills. We have 5 doctors and see around 35-45 patients a day. We accept VSP, Davis, EyeMed, MESC. None pay that great, but we do alot of second and third pairs and that's where the accepting the insurance pays off.
    How do the 2nd and 3rd pairs pay off? you are going through a optical lab to process these jobs, the lab would be paid for the 1st pair by the insurance company and I'm sure they offer your practice a 50% discount on the other pairs so I guess my question is where is the benefit for the lab?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do the 2nd and 3rd pairs pay off? you are going through a optical lab to process these jobs, the lab would be paid for the 1st pair by the insurance company and I'm sure they offer your practice a 50% discount on the other pairs so I guess my question is where is the benefit for the lab?
    Much like the optical shop, the lab is not bound by contracted amounts from those discount plans, which means the lab, even if it offers a substantial discount on multiple pairs, will do so on their list pricing. When all those charge-backs and contracted amounts are not applicable, I imagine most labs make around the same (if not more) on their secondary sets of lenses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by grudyfan13 View Post
    Much like the optical shop, the lab is not bound by contracted amounts from those discount plans, which means the lab, even if it offers a substantial discount on multiple pairs, will do so on their list pricing. When all those charge-backs and contracted amounts are not applicable, I imagine most labs make around the same (if not more) on their secondary sets of lenses.
    What do you mean by charge-backs and contracted amounts?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is what we've done in Mass. since 2015 with success. Stay independent: offer your patients out-of network reimbursement. You can decide whether to give them a discount along with what Eyemed and other VCP's reimburse them along with what they'll get reimbursed "according to your specific plan". I have out-of-network forms for Eyemed, VSP, Davis, and UHC, and I never have to worry about chargebacks or a surprise audit from Eyemed. The plans pay the patient directly and in 5 years I've never had a managed care patient unhappy with what they pay or this system. Most vision plans are now offered as a job benefit because they are so cheap. Ask your patients if they get their vision plan as a job benefit-then you know they are not paying for their plan and the reimbursement they get is icing on their cake.

Thread Information