Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Contact Lens Education

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Could it have been that 8.80 base curve that gave her the rave-ability?
    That's what we thought, and it certainly covered the "big" part. She also liked them for the moisture. Dry eyes and all... Like I said, she was a CPOT. If she could've sat on the opposite side of the slit lamp from herself, she could've fit them as well.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've also had good results from the Oasys and Air Optix bifocals. They each have 3 bifocal strengths. Now, if only Biofinity had as good a bifocal in 2 base curves. I know that won't happen but it would be good for those big dry eyes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've been attempting to fit quite a few sets of the Air Optix MF lenses, and they seem to be working better than the old SofLens MFs, but still not great. I would say over half of our successful MF CL fits have been on the second try or after, with both of our optometrists, which is strange because I couldn't think of two exam and fit techniques that are more different.

I've just been trying the new PureVision 2 HD lenses (-4.75 OU) for a few days, and I'm on the fence. On one hand, the fit, vision, and overnight-wear feeling after four days isn't any different than my all-time favorite lens, the Focus (Air Optix) N&D, but on the other hand, the fit, vision, and overnight-wear feeling is the same as the N&Ds. I don't feel anything different in a negative respect, but there's no "WOW" factor like the B&L rep assured me everyone else has had. Now, if they were less per box than the N&Ds, I'd be all over them; they're PureVision lenses, though, so they don't cost less than just about anything else we have.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I can tell you that we sell more of the Air Optix Mulfocal and than any other multifocal lens. The 2nd runner up is the Biofinity Multifocal. Both are great lenses and have definitely pulled away from the pack. Hope this helps

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Contacts2020 View Post
    I can tell you that we sell more of the Air Optix Mulfocal and than any other multifocal lens. The 2nd runner up is the Biofinity Multifocal. Both are great lenses and have definitely pulled away from the pack. Hope this helps

You claim to be a lens manufacturer? R e a l l l l l y? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....your buried links say otherwise! I call spammer!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Question for all who fit contacts.... I have 2 ODs that tell patients it's ok to wear their contacts longer... for example, wear a 2 week (acuvue 2) lens for one month. Wear a daily lens for 3 days. They are writing the Rx that way. I believe they are doing it to save the patients money. I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. I have always believed that this is BAD! Corneal problems bad. Thoughts?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Question for all who fit contacts.... I have 2 ODs that tell patients it's ok to wear their contacts longer... for example, wear a 2 week (acuvue 2) lens for one month. Wear a daily lens for 3 days. They are writing the Rx that way. I believe they are doing it to save the patients money. I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. I have always believed that this is BAD! Corneal problems bad. Thoughts?
    It's the prescribers neck- they can expose as much of it as they want. That said, some might be able to go longer, heavy depositors might have to change sooner. One could time a follow-up at 3 weeks to determine the best schedule for each individual.

From a retired CL fitter...

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    It's the prescribers neck- they can expose as much of it as they want. That said, some might be able to go longer, heavy depositors might have to change sooner. One could time a follow-up at 3 weeks to determine the best schedule for each individual.

From a retired CL fitter...

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Yes. That does help. Thank you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a question about the best way to determine if a contact lens is warped. Do the lines in the radioscope just have to look blurry which means they are warped? Or what do I need to look for to determine warpage??
    Svetlana

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sveti15 View Post
    I had a question about the best way to determine if a contact lens is warped. Do the lines in the radioscope just have to look blurry which means they are warped? Or what do I need to look for to determine warpage??
    The mires should be clear and sharp, making sure that the lens is clean and that the instrument is calibrated and focused (I usually didn't have access to a radiuscope, instead using a keratometer).

The base curve on a new non-toric/bitoric lens should measure the same in all meridians. Most fitters will accept 0.10mm (0.50 D) warpage before recommending replacement. For example, if the BC should be 8.00mm, a half diopter warp would measure 7.95mm/8.05mm.

Proper handling and storage will minimize warpage and extend lens life (provide that information during I&R training).

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    It seems really a nice thought.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sveti15 View Post
    On a spherical RGP lens, if your have only a few radiuscope mires on the spherical base curve clear at the same time, the surface is warped.
    Last edited by tmorse; 12-12-2020 at 05:38 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hi Chip, I would love to learn about your program. Im definitely interested in learning more to pass the NCLE

Thread Information