My feelings on exteended wear. Except in those situations where there might be a compelling indication (i.e. combat, a romatic weekend where you want to see what your are enjoying), extended wear is foolish. My attitude might be different if I were so impared that I couldn't see who was on the other side of the bed. But as a rule I tell my patients: "Like your mother said: Any thing you sleep with is more likely to give you problems."
Now as to the little known and oft forgotten facts.
I once saw Fred Danker remove a PMMA lens that he had worn continuously for 27 years without damage. He had forgotten how to remove it and he didn't belive the posterior surface needed to be polished.
I once read a report from a group of ophthalmolgist in Boston who as a an experiment built up to 24 hr a day wear in PMMA lenses, wore them for 90 days (without damage) and reported that that had discomfort after removal. Eventually had to use a removal (reverse wearing) schedule to wean themselves away from the lenses.
Of course this is back when we felt the mechanics and skill of the fitter was more important than the material.

Chip