Thread: Contact Lens Education

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eromitlab View Post
    Any other resources would you suggest??
    ~eromitlab
    Fitting Guide for Rigid and Soft Contact Lenses by Stein and Slatt
    This book is considered the 'bible' for contact lenses here in Canada:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Fitting Guide for Rigid and Soft Contact Lenses by Stein and Slatt
    This book is considered the 'bible' for contact lenses here in Canada:cheers:
    I just bought a copy of the second edition for $0.40, I figure if Ted's cocky self likes the book it's got to be good :D try this link:

http://books.onlineopticianry.com
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I figure if Ted's cocky self likes the book it's got to be good :D try this link:

http://books.onlineopticianry.com
    Hey Harry, up here in Canada we keep information on our personal endowments private.:p

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Hey Harry, up here in Canada we keep information on our personal endowments private.:p
    Maybe arrogant would have been a better description :D, but none the less thanks for the tip on the book.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SOMETIMES SPIT WORKS PRETTY WELL

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Loratz:

No spit on Contact Lenses. I have made enough artificial eyes for one lifetime. No need to increase my market.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Loratz:

No spit on Contact Lenses. I have made enough artificial eyes for one lifetime. No need to increase my market.

Chip
    Chip-

Your missing the boat here. If you would teach Harry Chiling and myself your art, we could carry on your legacy up North.

Infections for all!!!

:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe arrogant would have been a better description :D, but none the less thanks for the tip on the book.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    I know chip likes to fit using nomograms and intuition but for us novices I have put online a favorite nomogram for GP lens fitting, enjoy. The soft lens version will be posted up there soon.

http://www.technicalopticians.org
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 11-05-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Occupation
    Soft lens nomogram is posted at:

http://www.technicalopticians.org

Occupation
    Cell Mitosis - Is the process of a cell splitting apart, replicating itself, cloning (probably shouldn't use this term in a biological process involving DNA, but you know what I mean). The cell goes through many phase in the process which is often the confusing part.
    1. Interphase
    2. Prophase
    3. Prometaphase
    4. Metaphase
    5. Anaphase
    6. Telophase
    7. Cytokenisis
    Sometimes you will also include interphase although technically it is not part of the cell division process. The different phases are marked by characteristic changes in the cell. Basically the cell starts by condensing the necleus, the poles move to the opposite ends, the necleus membrane dissolves, the chromosomes line up, they split, they travel towards the poles, the new membranes form around each cell necleus, the cells break apart.

That last explanation is the nitty gritty in english version you asked for, my wife is a biology teacher and can probabl explain it in so much detail your brain would hurt, but when teaching her students she does sometimes start with a break down like the one I have layed out, but a bit more accurate. Anyway you should get the drift, if not PM me and I will pass on any questions you might have.

dbracer - great explanation of Dk/t. I liked the quick small letter explanation as well when defining the constant.
    A few pages back some one asked a question about cell mitosis and the explanation was posted, but my wife is in that part of her lesson and was taking pictures through a microscope of cells. So I thought wouldn't it be fun to put them up for people to guess what's happening.

From the images below match the phase of mitosis with the image

No 1 - ?
    No 2 - ?
    No 3 - ?
    No 4 - ?
    No 5 - ?
    No 6 - ?

No 7 - Can you tell if this is an animal cell or a plant cell?

No 8 - What characteristic lead you to believe your conclusion to answer No 7?

[spoiler=For Answers Click Here]No 1 - Anaphase \nNo 2 - Telophase\nNo 3 - Prophase\nNo 4 - Between Prometaphase and Metaphase\nNo 5 - Metaphase\nNo 6 - Between Telophase and Cytokenisis\nNo 7 - Plant Cell\nNo 8 - Only plant cells have cell walls, animal cells have cell membranes. This would account for a square shape rather than an oval or round shape.\n\nThanks for Playing[/spoiler]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mitosis.jpg   mitosisanother.jpg  

Occupation

New Questions

Here are some more contact related questions. Try them out before you check your answers.

1. The most refractive power comes from which component of the eye?
    1. Crystalline Lens
    2. Posterior Corneal Surface
    3. Anterior Corneal Surface
    4. Aqueous and Vitreous
    2. In the reduced Gullstrand Schematic Eye the index for the eye is?
    1. 1.33
    2. 1.337
    3. 1.336
    4. 1.37
    3. A patient presents with K's of 40.00@180 / 40.50@090 the patient wants soft lenses. What base curve would you fit the patient in?
    1. Steep
    2. Median
    3. Flat
    4. A patient with HVID of 11mm wants soft lenses what would be the intitial choice for diameter?
    1. 12mm
    2. 1.4cm
    3. 12cm
    4. 11mm
    5. 15mm
    5. If the radius of a lens is made larger, would the lens get?
    1. Steeper
    2. Flatter
    3. Depends on diameter
    4. B and C
    5. A and C
    [spoiler=Answers]1 - C\n2 - A\n3 - C\n4 - B\n5 - D (although B itself is acceptable)\n\nThanks for trying[/spoiler]
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 12-13-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry: What is HVID? What is alger?

I thought I knowed this stuff pretty well but I don't know what either is.

Chip

Occupation
    Harry: What is HVID? What is alger?

I thought I knowed this stuff pretty well but I don't know what either is.

Chip
    Horizontal Visible Iris Diameter (fancy term for the size of the iris), alger was a mispelling it's larger, sorry.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a little known fact to add to mixture. The actual corneal diameter (verified by a lot of moulds taken many years ago) is usuall abot 1.4 mm larger than the visible iris diamter. With 13.7 being average.

Chip

Occupation
    Just a little known fact to add to mixture. The actual corneal diameter (verified by a lot of moulds taken many years ago) is usuall abot 1.4 mm larger than the visible iris diamter. With 13.7 being average.

Chip
    That could have made for a great question. I believe the average HVID today is considered 11.6mm - 12.0mm.

OptiBoard Professional jrumbaug's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I wanna fuss about an answer

Harry, I think I'll fuss over the suggested answers to #5 being (d. or b.)

1. Steeper
    2. Flatter
    3. Depends on diameter
    4. B and C
    5. A and C
    You did say (b) alone is OK, which I think is th only answer. I say regardless of the diameter, as the radius increases, the lens is flatter. The question does not say anything about changing the diameter when the the radius changes. The answer C hints at the fact that the fit is a function of diameter and curvature, which is true. But the answer C, realy does not aply to the question.

Now to put out another idea, had the question read, "What happens when the radius is made smaller?". It is possible to order a base curve that is so tight that it can not be made in the requested diameter because the radius would describe a sphere smaller that the requested diameter, but this is getting pretty far out there. ( dia= 9.4, bc = 4.85 , would have to be a REAL THICK lens to reach 9.4 )

That's my 2 cents for the day

Jim Rumbaugh

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jrumbaug View Post
    Harry, I think I'll fuss over the suggested answers to #5 being (d. or b.)

1. Steeper
    2. Flatter
    3. Depends on diameter
    4. B and C
    5. A and C
    You did say (b) alone is OK, which I think is th only answer. I say regardless of the diameter, as the radius increases, the lens is flatter. The question does not say anything about changing the diameter when the the radius changes. The answer C hints at the fact that the fit is a function of diameter and curvature, which is true. But the answer C, realy does not aply to the question.

Now to put out another idea, had the question read, "What happens when the radius is made smaller?". It is possible to order a base curve that is so tight that it can not be made in the requested diameter because the radius would describe a sphere smaller that the requested diameter, but this is getting pretty far out there. ( dia= 9.4, bc = 4.85 , would have to be a REAL THICK lens to reach 9.4 )

That's my 2 cents for the day

Jim Rumbaugh
    Thanks Jim,

Originally I though the same as you did but was anticipating someone argueing that it would depend on if the diameter stayed the same or not, so I thought I would put it both ways to try and cover my bases.

Good to see that you took it. I will put more up.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A simple set of golden rules for contact lens fitting.

Rigid lenses rule:
    1: Either the lens is too damn flat or it's too damn big.

Softlens rules:
    1: If the lens hurts it's too flat, has trash under it, is wrong side out or is damaged.
    2: If the lens doesn't center or moves excessively it's too flat or too small.
    3: If vision fluctuates, particularly improving after squeezing lids tight or rubbing and deteriorated before blink, lens is too steep.

Are there other factors, like edge design, modum (hoop strength) allergy, etc. Sure but if you just get and keep the above straight in your mind you will be way ahead of most in this business.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist

Alger

Horizontal Visible Iris Diameter (fancy term for the size of the iris), alger was a mispelling it's larger, sorry.
    Harry,

Actually Alger is the name of a guy who devised a motor operated bur to remove corneal rust-rings.

It's called an Alger Brush.;)

Okay, Okay. So much for schmartypantz answers.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dbracer View Post
    Harry,

Actually Alger is the name of a guy who devised a motor operated bur to remove corneal rust-rings.

It's called an Alger Brush.;)

Okay, Okay. So much for schmartypantz answers.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    Thanks, I that's funny, but it was a misspelling.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Alger

I was trying to pull you out of the fire there.

But, Oh well. Have it your way.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dbracer View Post
    I was trying to pull you out of the fire there.

But, Oh well. Have it your way.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    Thanks again. I did burn myself with that one. I did know about an alger brush though, and come to think of it it would make for a great trivia question. It would be nice if there was a way to create question and answer tags for the forums [?]

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A Perfect example

I'm not sure peroxide cleans anything. It bleaches things and kills germs. But I don't know that it removes dirt. Or mixes oil with water.

Chip
    Someone came in today to get her contacts polished. Somebody did the polishing but did not finish with a peroxide cleaning -nor a boston conditioner rubbing/cleaning to remove the polish.She used the rinse with water which does not work. Result ? Superficial abrasions on both eyes.I can't believe that the opticians who still actually polish contacts do not use peroxide to remove polish and to immediately disinfect their contacts. Again,you rub the peroxide into the len as you are rinsing it with tap water. It will feel squeeky clean. It will be clean. When doing an enzyme cleaning on a gas perm, use peroxide instead of saline and the enzyme softened protein comes right off. To those of you who scoff about this -I've used this successfully 28 years with never a reaction. And my pts do not get reactions after I polish their contacts.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 01-22-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarity

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I see that this thread has once again been neglected...

I feel bad that I haven't been posting any questions... instead I'm runnin' my mouth off in other threads like a yahoo instead of learning something, which is why I come here... so... I have a question for those that are far more learned than I.

with respect to RGP materials: I have been researching RGP materials a little bit, just to see what's available to me and so I can be more familiar with them... it got me thinking about the hyper-Dk materials on the market and I came down to Menicon's Z material, which surprisingly to me, is approved for up to 30 nights of continuous wear (I didn't realize that wearing RGPs continuously for days was safe).

My question: What are your feelings on continuous wear modality for rigid contacts? Is it something you would say should be avoided entirely, or under a very strict set of circumstances would it be acceptable to you?

as a side note: I can see where the benefit could instantly be appreciated in an orthokeratology application, but that's usually where patients are sleeping in their lenses anyhow and leaving them out during waking hours, and possibly the increased lens flexure may not be acceptable for maximum effectivity, however, I digress... I'll ask about orthokeratology stuff at a later time.

Thread Information