Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Contact Lens Education

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure peroxide cleans anything. It bleaches things and kills germs. But I don't know that it removes dirt. Or mixes oil with water.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Try it! Peroxide works

Used to be every time I polished contacts, pt.s would complain of stinging. Not after I started using peroxide to clean off the residual cleaner. It also removes those stubborn greasy lotions that don't come off with plain hand washing.simply rub the index, (or whichever handles the contact lens} with peroxide in the palm of your hand. Then rub off with water.Now you can rub the wetting solution into the lens and insert. It works for the real greasy stuff like Oil of Olay. Next you can try popcorn salt mixed with saline to create a paste that removes jelly bumps. Another old trick that absolutely works but is not needed much in this disposable age.
    Bob Taylor

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make real sure you rinse all the peroxide off the lenses and your hands or the patient will really complain about stinging.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Make real sure you rinse all the peroxide off the lenses and your hands or the patient will really complain about stinging.
    I gotta tell you we ran back into the CL room once because we heard the most god aweful scream and sure enough a lady had tipped back a bottle of clear care in her eye. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why she would do that, she had to open a new box that was on the shelf and go at it. Her resoning behind it was she thought she would try a new solution.

Her eyes were the prettiest shade of red and no makeup. :D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep sharing info on C.L. please

I am so excited I found this section for C.L. discussions. I am being kept away from anything to do with C.L. by the two offices I have worked at in the past 8 yrs. In my review I brought this matter up as part of my job disappointments. Seems any front desk person being hired with no training at all is set up to do our trainings and answer questions to the patients. I hear the wrong answers and techniques being used all the time. My Dr. replied that I was worth more to him out on the floor.

Is this some kind of cop out or backhanded compliment or what?

I thirst for C.L. knowledge. This is a very small office and everything is old and boring. No challenges and everyone is too afraid of any change to shake anything up around there. I have been looking for a new job for a very long time .......

I walked by a poor person struggling to get their lens in that had been left alone by one of these untrained young people and offered a quick piece of advise and the person got the lens in immediately. When they went in to the Dr. they commented on why did they have someone untrained teaching them and not me? I got a severe talking to....not a thank you
    for bailing the office out..or a way to go.....no I was in the wrong.
    Is this par for offices out there in this profession? Seems everytime I go the extra mile jealousy rears its ugly head. I notice for men in our trade things are very different. Any women out there dare to comment?

I will quietly be watching this forum and taking notes to learn.

By the way, I passed the ABO exam with the Optical Training Institute's course. The most frustrating part of that course was that it is not a training it is a test taking tool. I found myself wanting more info on the shortcomings I had in the field and not having the books resources to learn the gaps in my training. It is a good course if you get over the errors in a couple of their test answers and the spelling and typos in the written material. Obviously whoever put it together was not an English major and it seems it was put together in a hurry and not really proofed.
    They really needed to have a dummy like me just sit there and go thru it and point out the things that were senseless and made them look stupid.
    Other than that I passed with a high score. I know we wouldn't know our score but the board lost my test results and had to look it up via phone and told me that I scored almost a perfect score , so kudos to that course I guess in the end.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But wait.....I need to proof my own letter...boy what a mess. Please excuse...I am way into the wee hours of the morning..good night. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Squeaky Clean

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

It rinses off easily and you can tell because it's squeaky clean.

Occupation
    The term Modulus refers to the flexibility of the lens material. The higher the value the stiffer the lens. The stiffer lenses are easier to get in for the patient as they tend to keep their shape better, but often times can have adverse effects like poor movement, and lens awareness.

Just a tid bit to keep the thread going. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Has anyone fit the SynergEyes Lens

It's supposed to be an improvement on the Softperm. Gas perm center bonded to a soft lens outer edge. Any experience?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Haven't used the Synergeyes but used some of it's predecessors. Good lens for irregular corneas and medium cylinder. Fairly expensive, poor durability, kept tearing at junction of rigid/soft to the points where patient's felt you were ripping them off or they couldn't afford.

Also earlier name for modulus was "hoop strength".

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=chip anderson;186948]Haven't used the Synergeyes but used some of it's predecessors. Good lens for irregular corneas and medium cylinder. Fairly expensive, poor durability, kept tearing at junction of rigid/soft to the points where patient's felt you were ripping them off or they couldn't afford.

Also earlier name for modulus was "hoop strength".[/qu

The newer version is more durable. Early negatives are at least 2 weeks for power more than +4.00 or -7.00

Occupation
    Optometrist

Dk's etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Can someone please explain me in simple english
    Cell Mitosis
    Dk
    Dk/t
    I find it difficult to grasp from textbooks.
    Sara
    In chemistry and physics a small letter is sometimes used to designate a constant. pH represents hydrogen (H) concentration (p).

In this case "k" is use to as a designation for "constant", in this case diffusion (D). So we have a (D)diffusion (k)constant.

Dk tells us how much gas gets through a contact lens material, that is any gases. 'Course in CL's the most important gas is oxygen. The higher the number, the more gas gets through.

But this is of little value if the thickness is not known. Ta-Da ... enters Dk/t, which means diffusion constant per unit of thickness. This is the number usually addressed.

The number is actually a coefficient taken times 10 raised to the -11 (minus eleven) power. This is a representation of micro-liters/second/cubic cm etc. etc. etc. It's a physics nightmare. It's relatively simple if you don't get caught-up in the details of uL/sec/cc3/this/that etc.

The standard soft lens has a Dk/t of about 28 or so, i.e..... 28x10-11 (the last number should be a supra-script, not a sub-script).

The Dk/t of PMMA is about "0" (ie 0x10-11, in other words zero). RGP's run regularly 30,60,90 and can go as high as 130 or so. But, the new silicon hydorgel soft CL's have Dk/t's to 175 and beyond.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Cell Mitosis - Is the process of a cell splitting apart, replicating itself, cloning (probably shouldn't use this term in a biological process involving DNA, but you know what I mean). The cell goes through many phase in the process which is often the confusing part.

1. Interphase
    2. Prophase
    3. Prometaphase
    4. Metaphase
    5. Anaphase
    6. Telophase
    7. Cytokenisis
    Sometimes you will also include interphase although technically it is not part of the cell division process. The different phases are marked by characteristic changes in the cell. Basically the cell starts by condensing the necleus, the poles move to the opposite ends, the necleus membrane dissolves, the chromosomes line up, they split, they travel towards the poles, the new membranes form around each cell necleus, the cells break apart.

That last explanation is the nitty gritty in english version you asked for, my wife is a biology teacher and can probabl explain it in so much detail your brain would hurt, but when teaching her students she does sometimes start with a break down like the one I have layed out, but a bit more accurate. Anyway you should get the drift, if not PM me and I will pass on any questions you might have.

dbracer - great explanation of Dk/t. I liked the quick small letter explanation as well when defining the constant.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Cell Mitosis - Is the process of a cell splitting apart, replicating itself, cloning (probably shouldn't use this term in a biological process involving DNA, but you know what I mean). The cell goes through many phase in the process which is often the confusing part.
    1. Interphase
    2. Prophase
    3. Prometaphase
    4. Metaphase
    5. Anaphase
    6. Telophase
    7. Cytokenisis
    Sometimes you will also include interphase although technically it is not part of the cell division process. The different phases are marked by characteristic changes in the cell. Basically the cell starts by condensing the necleus, the poles move to the opposite ends, the necleus membrane dissolves, the chromosomes line up, they split, they travel towards the poles, the new membranes form around each cell necleus, the cells break apart.

That last explanation is the nitty gritty in english version you asked for, my wife is a biology teacher and can probabl explain it in so much detail your brain would hurt, but when teaching her students she does sometimes start with a break down like the one I have layed out, but a bit more accurate. Anyway you should get the drift, if not PM me and I will pass on any questions you might have.

dbracer - great explanation of Dk/t. I liked the quick small letter explanation as well when defining the constant.
    HarryC,

Holly cow, your into this stuff heavily. My brain is already hurting.

How 'bout this Meiosis = a child
    Mitosis = twins following the original meosis

if I spelled it all correctly, and this is only true at the animal reproduction level.

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    "Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you do." C.S. Lewis

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    Holly cow, your into this stuff heavily. My brain is already hurting.

How 'bout this Meiosis = a child
    Mitosis = twins following the original meosis

if I spelled it all correctly, and this is only true at the animal reproduction level.
    Great way of explaining the differences between the two. Again my wife is a biology teacher (AP as well) so it's her version of shop talk. If you thought that was impressive, you should see her surface a progressive lens and edge it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great way of explaining the differences between the two. Again my wife is a biology teacher (AP as well) so it's her version of shop talk. If you thought that was impressive, you should see her surface a progressive lens and edge it.
    Your wife sounds wonderful.

Would she like a job in a place where there is quickly expanding high tech industry, no smoke stack industry, rural area, two major universities, Pac-10 sports, concerts and shows (Copperfield, Ladysmith, Supreme Court Judges etc.), NIAA World Series, no stop lights, no elevators, no traffic jams, freshwater streams galore, finest backpacking mountains, 5 ski resorts with an 1.5 hours, bird hunting, fly fishing, big game hunting, 5 minutes to work on bad day, few miles from the finest wineries in US, no tornadoes, no hail storms, no torrential rain storms, most fertile agronomy land in the world, no mosquitoes, no chiggers, no forest fires, no hot summers, mild winters, archery ranges, trap shooting courses, 325 acre pro-golf course - just completing, tennis courts, highest ranked school district in the State of Washington, most national merit scholars from the high school in the Northwest, best GPA in student athletes, and scenic splendor that runs on like a British novel?

It's a piece of heaven that the Californians haven't found, yet. The West fears Californication of their home areas.

It's called The Palouse, and ah heck, Harry, you can tag along too!

Respectfully,
    dbracer

Occupation
    Optometrist

H2o2

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I'm not sure peroxide cleans anything. It bleaches things and kills germs. But I don't know that it removes dirt. Or mixes oil with water.

Chip
    Your right as rain there Chip. It's questionable if it even does a very good job as a germacide, if you look at its actual spectrum. And, for sure it is not an emulsifyer. The old isopropanol systems were much better at "killing."

But, most H2O2 users have few problems. Go figure.

Occasionally they forget to oxidize it before sticking it in their eyes. Still, few are much worse for the wear once it heals up.

Respectfully,
    dbracer

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dbracer
    Your wife sounds wonderful.

Would she like a job in a place where there is quickly expanding high tech industry, no smoke stack industry, rural area, two major universities, Pac-10 sports, concerts and shows (Copperfield, Ladysmith, Supreme Court Judges etc.), NIAA World Series, no stop lights, no elevators, no traffic jams, freshwater streams galore, finest backpacking mountains, 5 ski resorts with an 1.5 hours, bird hunting, fly fishing, big game hunting, 5 minutes to work on bad day, few miles from the finest wineries in US, no tornadoes, no hail storms, no torrential rain storms, most fertile agronomy land in the world, no mosquitoes, no chiggers, no forest fires, no hot summers, mild winters, archery ranges, trap shooting courses, 325 acre pro-golf course - just completing, tennis courts, highest ranked school district in the State of Washington, most national merit scholars from the high school in the Northwest, best GPA in student athletes, and scenic splendor that runs on like a British novel?

It's a piece of heaven that the Californians haven't found, yet. The West fears Californication of their home areas.

It's called The Palouse, and ah heck, Harry, you can tag along too!

Respectfully,
    dbracer
    I can't convince her to move, I have had some great job offers that I can't take advatage of because she will not budge. Thanks for graciously letting me tag along though. :bbg:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry: Get your pants back, give her a skirt and move.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Harry: Get your pants back, give her a skirt and move.
    You dirty roten SOB, you callin me a pansy. :bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist

Dirty rottin' SOB's

I'm stayin' outa this one.

Ya both seem like likable guys to me.

dbracer

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

I think he basically told you to "Get your B@t*h buttocks in the kitchen and bake him a pie". (Gleefully stolen from the cartoon-South Park)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I could be wrong though.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    Harry,

I think he basically told you to "Get your B@t*h buttocks in the kitchen and bake him a pie". (Gleefully stolen from the cartoon-South Park)
    But I might get flour on my skirt. :D

Occupation
    Are No-rub Multi Purpose Solutions (MPS) dead?

According to:

Efficacy of multipupose solutions against acanthamoeba species, Contact Lens & Anterior Eye (28) 2005 169-175

Renu w/ MoistureLoc was the most effective at destroying acanthamoeba. It had a comparison to the most comonly used solutions and you can see from the list that one by one they are started to be recalled, could this be the end for "No-Rub".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails efficacy.jpg   efficacy2.jpg  

Occupation
    Optometrist

Fungus

Are No-rub Multi Purpose Solutions (MPS) dead?

According to:

Efficacy of multipupose solutions against acanthamoeba species, Contact Lens & Anterior Eye (28) 2005 169-175

Renu w/ MoistureLoc was the most effective at destroying acanthamoeba. It had a comparison to the most comonly used solutions and you can see from the list that one by one they are started to be recalled, could this be the end for "No-Rub".
    Harry,

So was there any similar data established in a similar format on Fungi?

It was interesting that the B&L spokesman actually studied his on solutions, concerning the Fusarium thing, but he stayed mute on how the others stacked-up at least in the material I read.

I just never pursued further study own the matter.

Any stuff on that?

Respectfully,
    dbracer

Thread Information